Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Books: Best Books/Links on The Napoleonic Era

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just taken delivery of Paul Dawson's latest tome, Waterloo 'the truth at last'. I have read the introductory which outlines the same old criticism of Anglo-centric tellings of the battle with the same old mutterings of the Prussians being ignored along with any other non red coated allied units: "In traditional Anglo-phonic histories which ignore the Prussians"

It goes on and on in that vein which is a shame as it seems that a bias has stepped in before the book is one page in!

The book is another French perspective which hopefully will make for some good reading.

One day, someone will publish a book about the battle laying out what, how and when incidents probably happened without personal comment.

We all know that about 150,000 men and about 50,000 horses took part in the battle. We all know who won and we all know that 'in general' they all fought bravely. lets have a story about that bravery and how 'through study and dissection' their stories can be told without any personal opinion from the author. No matter what the nationality of the author, they all tuck a varying amount of bias into the narrative and that can only be a bad thing.

Get over yourselves....Publish your findings without publishing your thoughts.

Dawson also admits that he is "pro-Napoleon and anti-Britain at the beginning of the nineteenth century."

Anyway! Dawson goes on to describe where he tapped his information of the French army from 'Muster rolls' legion of Honour records etc, and that he and his collegues had collected "over 80,000 points of data" and have found over 200 "untapped" "officer accounts in legal documents.

I'll leave it there and get on reading.

PS. Dawson's book is identical in binding and size as Hussey's.

Paul
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 04 Feb 18, 14:35.
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Working...
    X