Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Books: Best Books/Links on The Napoleonic Era

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by General Brock View Post
    Well said Paul and I agree make up your own mind don't listen to some of the
    rhetoric you here in this forum. Every Author has some good historical facts
    in there books, which you have to sometimes pick out by reading other books
    and making comparisons. Good luck all.

    Since I was critical of Schom, I suspect that I am being considered a sychophant too. It is possible to be critical of Schom without being a sycophant.
    I don't have a problem with authors who are critical of napoleon, as there is much to be critical of, I have a problem with authors who have drifted from honest criticism to outright bias. I got the impression that schom was more interested in conveying his personal contempt rather than an honest analysis of events.
    Just my opinion.

    I prefer authors who are able to provide something of an honest analysis of events rather than use them to justify personal hatreds or worship
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

    Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

    Comment


    • It was a broad statement Tom..., not to anybody in particular... your
      paranoia is showing.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
        Since I was critical of Schom, I suspect that I am being considered a sychophant too. It is possible to be critical of Schom without being a sycophant.
        I don't have a problem with authors who are critical of napoleon, as there is much to be critical of, I have a problem with authors who have drifted from honest criticism to outright bias. I got the impression that schom was more interested in conveying his personal contempt rather than an honest analysis of events.
        Just my opinion.

        I prefer authors who are able to provide something of an honest analysis of events rather than use them to justify personal hatreds or worship
        Don't look under your bed Cam, there's nothing to see.

        Please show where I have posted that a person being critical of Schom means that that person is a sycophant. I may have used both in my posts but have never directly linked the two together.

        Paul
        Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 18 Nov 14, 15:56.
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by General Brock View Post
          It was a broad statement Tom..., not to anybody in particular... your
          paranoia is showing.
          If I didn't have my paranoia I would have nothing left at all.


          Yes, it was a broad statement and since it was broad enough to possibly include me, I felt the need to respond.
          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

          Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
            Don't look under your bed Cam, there's nothing to see.

            Please show where I have posted that a person being critical of Schom means that that person is a sycophant. I may have used both in my posts but have never directly linked the two together.

            Paul

            I was reading into the "broad statement" is all.
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

            Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by General Brock View Post
              Well said Paul and I agree make up your own mind don't listen to some of the
              rhetoric you here in this forum. Every Author has some good historical facts
              in there books, which you have to sometimes pick out by reading other books
              and making comparisons. Good luck all.

              Why thank you James!

              Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

              Comment


              • Thank you all for your input and advice.
                When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened.' VP Joe 'The Brain' Biden

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                  Since I was critical of Schom, I suspect that I am being considered a sychophant too. It is possible to be critical of Schom without being a sycophant.
                  I don't have a problem with authors who are critical of napoleon, as there is much to be critical of, I have a problem with authors who have drifted from honest criticism to outright bias. I got the impression that schom was more interested in conveying his personal contempt rather than an honest analysis of events.
                  Just my opinion.
                  I prefer authors who are able to provide something of an honest analysis of events rather than use them to justify personal hatreds or worship
                  I wouldn't worry-you're not a sycophant.

                  In fact, in the way it has been used it is being used improperly. The definition of sycophant is:

                  'a person who praises powerful people in order to get their approval'

                  Since Napoleon is long dead, this definition and usage just does not apply.



                  Sincerely,
                  M
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    'A person who praises powerful people in order to get their approval'


                    Sincerely,
                    M
                    That's summat I've never been very good at... explains why I'm still a binman, I suppose?
                    The long toll of the brave
                    Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                    Unquenchable forever.

                    Comment


                    • Crisis in the Snows: The Eylau Campaign.

                      I have been looking for a copy of this book for some time now.
                      Amazon offered it but only for something in excess of $200.

                      The book is now being made available directly from the author ($60)and can be found here:
                      http://napoleonbooks.com/crisis_in_the_snows.html



                      Arnold's other books can be ordered there as well.
                      I have read Napoleon's Triumph and was quite pleased with it.
                      http://napoleonbooks.com/napoleons_triumph.html
                      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                      Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                        Crisis in the Snows: The Eylau Campaign.
                        I have been looking for a copy of this book for some time now.
                        Amazon offered it but only for something in excess of $200.
                        The book is now being made available directly from the author ($60)and can be found here:
                        http://napoleonbooks.com/crisis_in_the_snows.html
                        Arnold's other books can be ordered there as well.
                        I have read Napoleon's Triumph and was quite pleased with it.
                        http://napoleonbooks.com/napoleons_triumph.html
                        Arnold's books are all interesting and very well done. Crisis in the Snows is not exception-highly recommended.

                        Have you tried abebooks.com?

                        Arnold also has a website and you might want to check there.

                        Sincerely,
                        M
                        We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Massena View Post
                          Arnold's books are all interesting and very well done. Crisis in the Snows is not exception-highly recommended.

                          Have you tried abebooks.com?

                          Arnold also has a website and you might want to check there.

                          Sincerely,
                          M

                          I have not checked abebooks but will do so, thank you.
                          I agree that Arnold's Napoleon's Triumph was very good. I thought it was even handed and gave insight that I had never appreciated on the Friedland campaign. I am looking forward to Crisis.
                          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                          Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                          Comment


                          • Don't waste your time Tom on abebooks they want $400. plus.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by General Brock View Post
                              Don't waste your time Tom on abebooks they want $400. plus.
                              That being the case, I would contact James Arnold through his website, napoleonbooks.com

                              Sincerely,
                              M
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                              Comment


                              • Hi guys,

                                If you don’t mind, may I ask which is the best not-that-expensive reference-book which will give us some details regarding the decision of the marching from le campement de Boulogne towards Austerlitz 1805, and as much details during this march as possible, when Napoleon said to Murat and I think Compans (‘’Personne n’a jamais vu 200 000 hommes se déplacer en deux semaines au cœur de l’Europe…C’est impossible que nous allons faire, c’est pour cela que ce n’est plus une Armée et si La Grande Armée’’)

                                Regards
                                Rodrigo

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X