Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Books: Best Books/Links on The Napoleonic Era

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Napoleonic Books

If you are looking for more "nuts and bolts" type information on the Napoleonic wars, just about anything written by George Nafziger is great. Organization, tactics, field evolutions, detailed maps, and TOEs are the things he is great for. If you are doing any kind of wargaming in the period, Nafziger is great stuff!

He has a "just the facts" writing style that does not make his stuff easy to read, but there is no substitute for the detail he provides. He is also a linguist and does many of his own translations...so his works have a broad base of sources.

You can find his books on ebay, but they are rare, coveted, and expensive. But he self-publishes, and the best way to get many of his titles are directly from him...often cheaper than the going ebay rate. Check out his Napoleonic books at: http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/NAFNAP.HTM

Some of his titles I highly recommend are:

Napoleon in Russia; detailed, battle by battle account. Covers the smaller actions and skirmishes in great detail. These are often given just a blush treatment in other books on the subject. He does not sell this one on his site, but it comes up on ebay regularly for around $15 / a great bargin.

Imperial Bayonets: This book is rare, and unfortunately he does not self-publish this one. Basically a review of drill and tactics from each of the major armies own drill manuals. Has a great deal of technical detail like movement rates, time to change formation etc.

Napoleon at Leipzig: The most detailed treatment of the campaign I have seen anywhere.

If you are interested in WWII, George Nafziger also has many great titles there as well. The best known and popular on ebay is his Geman Order of Battle series.
    Larry Levandowski

Join the Army and see the Navy
    sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933

Comment

Thanks for sharing this information.
      It's great to have you around posting in here. Feal free to join any ongoiing discussions in the Napoleonic Era.
      All warfare is based on deception.
      Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I have read two great books titled the waterloo campaign and the trafalgar campaign both by mark adkin, and i am constantly dipping in and reading different sections, a throughly enjoyable read.
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I'm currently reading "Napoleon & Wellington" by Andrew Roberts and I'm finding it very "readable"
          #occupyarmchairgeneral.
          Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
          Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

If you're interested in naval warfare I recommend the Caxton Pictorial Histories series: they cover the entire period from the outbreak of the hostility in 1793 to the end of the war in 1815, they’re rich of remarkable details and are full of splendid illustrations.
            Actually I’ve got only 3 books of them(out of 5), but I’ll soon complete my collection.
            "I do not say they cannot come; I merely say they cannot come by sea."
            First Lord of the Admiralty St Vincent to the House of Lords

Comment

Ultimate Napoleonic Link

I found this pretty amazing link while while looking for a guide for Polish Armies during the time of the Rev War for a war game.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/index.html

It includes almost anything you need to know about Napoleonic Armies, Battles and Tactics and regularly cycles in new articles and old ones out.

Matt
              Afterthought: Well it looks like Nico beat me too it a while back, 2 years ago actually. his link goes to an older url of the address (some home page set up) and when you enter it jumps to the url I provided.
              Last edited by Airchallenged; 11 Sep 07, 21:59.
              "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
              -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Q: is Mark Adkins: Waterloo Companion worth its steep price?
                3 bottles of champagne, 3 wenches and 20 miles on horseback; all in 3 hours!

Comment

Originally posted by von Panzerfaust View Post
                  Q: is Mark Adkins: Waterloo Companion worth its steep price?
                  I think so, i have had the book for years and still find it a damned good read, i got mine through a book club for half the price.
                  Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Mirage Napoleon’s Scientists and the Unveiling of Egypt. By Nina Burleigh.

Going to get this one i think...anybody read it? BTW see the review in the thread on the Emperor in the news.

b.
                    CV
                    Last edited by Centrix Vigilis; 07 Dec 07, 23:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Gepard View Post
                      Once you finish Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon, something a bit shorter
                      and very readable would be Gunther Rothenberg's Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon.
                      The Cassel's History of Warfare series is very good. I have
                      the Rothenburg book, the Renaissance Warfare one, John Childs' Warfare in the Seventeenth Century (excellent!) and Jeremy Black's Eighteenth Century volume (he's great as always, but this one emphasized warfare outside of Europe too much for my personal interests).

I've only read the latter two.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                        How "readable" is the book?
                        My point is that I have Petre's book on the 1813 campaign, which was written in the early 1900s, and just never got into the flow of the book.
                        I have that problem with The Anatomy of Glory, it doesn't translate well.

Comment

New book about Napoleon's death

HINDMARSH J. Thomas, CORSO Philip F. , The Death of Napoleon: the last campaign

Napoleon Bonaparte died on May 5th, 1821 on the island of St Helena from complications of stomach cancer proven by autopsy. However, when analyses of trace elements on single strands of hair became available in the 1960s, it was found that some samples of his hair contained increased levels of arsenic which lead to claims that he had been deliberately poisoned. This book written by an expert toxiciologist and a surgeon/Napoleon scholar examines the proof for the diagnosis of stomach cancer. Also it reviews the evidence for arsenic poisoning and denounces this as a myth, based upon the absence of all the specific features and many of the cardinal non-specific features of arsenic poisoning, thus confirming that the Emperor died from stomach cancer.

About the authors:
                          Dr J Thomas Hindmarsh has an MD from the University of Sheffield, England and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists of Britain and of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. He recently retired as Professor of Pathology and Medical Biochemistry at the University of Ottawa. Dr Hindmarsh is an international authority on arsenic toxicology, has published many papers and several book chapters on the topic, has consulted for the US EPA and other government agencies, and is a member of a UNESCO expert panel. In 1994 he was invited by the Napoleonic Society of America to help resolve the controversy about whether Napoleon was poisoned with arsenic and this book is the consequence of his research.

Dr. Philip F Corso recently retired as Chief of Plastic Surgery at The Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, Connecticut. He graduated cum laude from Yale University and Tufts University School of Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and an Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery at Yale University. He has pursued a lifelong interest in the history of Napoleon and has authored several papers on the Emperor and the Empress Josephine. He has an extensive collection of Napoleon memorabilia and is a long-standing member of the Napoleonic Society of America.
                          Place and publisher :http://www2.xlibris.com/
                          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

http://www.wtj.com/wars/napoleonic/

Comment

-Mark urban rifles
                              -Micheal Glover wellington as millitary commander
                              -J Christopher Herold Age of Napoleon
                              -Andrew Roberts Waterloo the battle for modern Europe
                              The best on the subject of read so far.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X