Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Barbero and the Adkins were high on the Amazon offerings. I'll see if I can find the Fletcher, too, thanx.

Comment

• Maybe someone already posted this ?

http://www.darnault-militaires.info/...ex_galerie.htm
      "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

• bd napoleon

bjr a tous je recherche des bd sur napoléon Bonaparte a télécharger en pdf ou word si vous pourier m'aider merci beaucou

yvon: Pain grillé::

Comment

• Salut,

Un lien ou tu trouveras ton bonheur : planche par planche tu reconstitueras une Bd sympa
          http://miniaturasmilitaresalfonscano...label/WATERLOO

Comment

• Originally posted by borodino1812 View Post
            Salut,

Un lien ou tu trouveras ton bonheur : planche par planche tu reconstitueras une Bd sympa
            http://miniaturasmilitaresalfonscano...label/WATERLOO
            Thank you! This is marvelous. The Funckens are well known in England and the US, of course, but usually in translation. This comic in French is marvelous, and you have to read it in French, which is good for us slackers.
            Someone, I think on this forum, once said that the Netherlands cavalry would have done better if Anglesey had adressed them in French. Now we know that Wellington spoke French tout au long de la bataille: "Maintenant Maitland Maintenant a' vous!" Sadly, we don't see his reaction to the loss of his cavalry commander's leg. "Oups!" perhaps?
            It is easy, for me at least, to skim through posts; you remind us of the value of following the links.
            Cheers,
            Phil
            They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
            Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
            At the going down of the sun and in the morning
            We will remember them.

Rest easy.

Comment

• Gentlemen,

has anybody read this book? Is it worth the money?

Michael Crumplin - Men of Steel: Surgery in the Napoleonic Wars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-Steel-Su...leonic+surgery

Sincerely,
              Jan
              Frederick William III of Prussia - The Napoleonic Wars Campaign.

Comment

• Originally posted by von Aicha View Post
                Gentlemen,

has anybody read this book? Is it worth the money?

Michael Crumplin - Men of Steel: Surgery in the Napoleonic Wars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-Steel-Su...leonic+surgery

Sincerely,
                Jan
                I haven't read this title of his but I have his Bloody Fields of Waterloo.

Here is what I posted.
                I've done it again!

I forgot to post an appraisal of The Bloody Fields of Waterloo by M.K.H Crumplin.

The book is well illustrated throughout with some interesting plates maps and photographs and the book is well written, but the thing is, is that of the books 270 pages, 148 to 251 are taken up by appendix that are numbered I to XI that lists all the names of those of the medical staff present at or after the Battle of Waterloo with the major players getting a page or two of their date of birth and death, service history and in some cases, their accomplishments in civilian life.

There are individual case details (pages 83 to 144) of those wounded, Regiment by Regiment; giving accounts of the type of wounds, how the patient fared and what his fate was. Many are of notable officers like William de Lancey Alexander Gordon and some not so well known, and a few other ranks. There are just two accounts of French casualties, one being Jean Larrey, the other, Francois de Gay of the 45e Ligne.

The rest of the book is made up of: The contents, Forward, by Peter Snow, Acknowledgements and preface. The First chapter (page 11 to35) of the Medical Aspects of the Campaigns [sic] 15-18 June 1815. A rather informative few pages (36 to 56) on the organisation of the Medical staff of the Regular army 1661-1815. From page 57 to 59, we have The Medical Department of the Ordnance
                And from page 60 to 82, Aftermath of Victory.

Was the book worth the £35.00 ($56.00 U.S) that I paid? The answer is No! Even though the photos and illustrations are very good and there are many of them, It doesn't justify the price I paid and certainly not the initial release price of £45.00 ($62.00)

I must post This:

In the book, there is a photo of a church memorial to Edwin Griffith who died At Waterloo.

It says:

Sacred to the memory of Thomas Grffith Esq of Rhual who died. June 18th 1811.

Of Henrietta Maria his wife, who died June 18th 1813.

And of Edwin their youngest son, Major in the 15th Light Dragoons. Who, on this day so fatal to his family. June 18th 1815 Fell in the Thirtieth year of his age pierced through the breast by five honourable wounds, while gallantly leading his Regiment....

He had an older Brother Watkin Griffith, who, also serving under Wellington, was killed leading the 29th Light Dragoons in 1803 at Laswaree in India. He like his brother, was 30 years old and died of the same wound to the thorax by cannon fire.

Fate in life and death can throw up some very surprising coincidences.

Paul
                That aside, to add an unusual subject type such as this to your Napoleonic knowledge and library can only be a good thing.

Paul
                ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                All human ills he can subdue,
                Or with a bauble or medal
                Can win mans heart for you;
                And many a blessing know to stew
                To make a megloamaniac bright;
                Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Agree. I have it and it's a very worthy volume that adds to the knowledge of the period.

Sincerely,
                  M
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Thanks for help, gentlemen.

Sincerely,
                    Jan
                    Frederick William III of Prussia - The Napoleonic Wars Campaign.

Comment

• Hi all

is anyone here familiar with the book Napoleon 1813 by Yehezkel Shelah? is it any good, illustrated? i cannot find any detail on it and there are no reviews i can find either.
                      On that matter although Nafzigers work i presume is the best, how do the works by Digby Smith and Loraine Petre stack up in comparison? whats the best book on the 1813 campaign overall?

Comment

• See if this might help you a somewhat

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=143907

Comment

• thanks - though that seems to be about 1807 more so and not the 1813 books - i make use of abebooks alot but still want know whether the book i get will be of some quality

Comment

• New book on the horizon...

Z
                            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Zouave View Post
                              New book on the horizon...

Z
                              Now that is not only a must-have, but a keeper. Thanks very much for posting this, Z.

Do you know the publication date?

Sincerely,
                              M
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
                                Now that is not only a must-have, but a keeper. Thanks very much for posting this, Z.

Do you know the publication date?

Sincerely,
                                M
                                Don't know yet, Kevin. I will look into it.
                                My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X