Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best is Fabry's study of the campaign, if you can read French.

An excellent account that is included in a larger volume is the section in A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars by Vincent J. Esposito and John R. Elting.

Dominic Lieven's recent book, Russia Against Napoleon, is very good, but also pro-Russian, and some of the conclusions need to be taken with a grain of salt. It covers 1812-1814. It is especially informative about the period before the invasion and who was planning to do what to whom.

The Campaign of 1812 in Russia by Carl Clausewitz is excellent and highly recommended.

Paul Britten Austin's three-volume work on the Russian campaign is excellent and very useful.

French General Fezensac has left a valuable memoir of the campaign.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• I thought the books of Mikaberidze are very balanced and informative, especially Borodino and Berezina.

Plus, if you could read Russian, Michael Bogdanovich's study of campaign is good, Popov's recent study is also very helpful.

Comment

• Napoleonic Tactics Books

There are actually several books on Napoleonic tactics, the best of which is Imperial Bayonets, by myself, - George F. Nafziger which examines the British, Russian, Prussian, French, and Austrian drill systems from 1792-1815, lays out all manevers, does time & motion studies which it then and then compares them, reviews skirmish tactics separate from the linear tactics, examines artillery usage (based on a period Spanish military academy textbook), studies weapons effectiveness based on period tests, looks at brigade maneuvers, and even the marches of armies. This is based entirely on period works and official regulations.

There is also Tactics of the Russian Army in the Napoleonic Era, by Alexander and Yurii Zhmodikov. It is two volumes covering 1792-1815. Its bibliography is 9 pages long, almost entirely obscure Russian sources, including regulations & instructions; documents, memoris & literature; and period professional journals.

THere are also:
        The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon, by Guther E. Rothenberg. (more strategic than tactics)

With Musket, Cannon and Sword: Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies, by Brent Nosworthy

Neither of these get as far into the bushes as the first two

Comment

• George,

Let me be the first to say hello and welcome to the forum.
          I have several of your books "not all read" and they are
          very informative & educational.

I hope that U will stick with us here, we have quite a few
          Historians like yourself on the site.

Enjoy

Comment

• Welcome George

All we need now is John Franklin, Gareth Glover, Charles Esdaille, Guy Dempsey and Digby Smith for a Napoleonic forum magnificent 7.

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Got U so excited Paul U had to post it twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Brock View Post
                Got U so excited Paul U had to post it twice.
                It was late and I was dozing off at the time

Anyway! I've deleted it now

Paul

Comment

• Welcome aboard, George!

I can't wait to read your inputs.
                  My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Celer et Audax, a sketch of the services of the Fifth Battalion, Sixtieth Regiment (Rifles) during the twenty years of their existence (1879) by Rigaud, Gibbes http://archive.org/download/celereta...sket00riga.pdf

Comment

• Can anyone recommend a book on the Ottomans at the time of the Napoleonic Wars?
                      Really interested to find out about British involvements with them, especially in Greece & the Greek Islands, & Egypt...?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lone Stoat View Post
                        Can anyone recommend a book on the Ottomans at the time of the Napoleonic Wars?
                        Really interested to find out about British involvements with them, especially in Greece & the Greek Islands, & Egypt...?
                        On the Egyptian end...

Memoir of a campaign with the Ottoman army in Egypt, from February to July 1800 By James Philip Morier
                        http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3...201800&f=false

History of the British expedition to Egypt: to which is subjoined, a sketch ...
                        By Sir Robert Thomas Wilson
                        http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=e...201800&f=false

Comment

• From Ron McGuigan on the Napoleon series Forum

A Narrative of the Campaigns of the Loyal Lusitanian Legion Under Brigadier General Robert Wilson: ... 1809 - 1811 William Mayne, John S. Lillie. London: T. Egerton 1812

http://books.google.ca/books?id=1ndP...frontcover&dq=

For the life of Wilson see

Life of General Sir Robert Wilson ...: from autobiographical memoirs, journals, narratives, correspondence, &c, Edited by Rev. Herbert Randolph. London:J. Murray 1862

Volume 1

http://books.google.ca/books?id=1swJAAAAIAAJ&dq=

Volume 2

http://books.google.ca/books?id=YhgF...page&q&f=false

Comment

• The Dark Room

Liked The Dark Room at Longwood: A Voyage to St Helena, by Paul Kauffman, a travelogue/history.

Comment

• Two of my favourites are Foot Regiments of the Imperial Guard, Michael G Head (1973) and Military Dress of the Peninsular War, Martin Windrow and Gerry Embleton (1991)

Comment

• Just put in a pre-order for Gareth Glover's latest: The Waterloo Archive: Volume V 'German Sources' (ISBN 9781848326842) £20.00 (£24.00 including P.P)

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-W...lume-V/p/3843/

Again, I will let you know what I think of the book when I have read it.

Paul

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse