Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Books: Best Books/Links on The Napoleonic Era

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have Gareth Glover's latest Waterloo Archive Volume IV: British Sources, which was delivered to me via a neighbour due to the postman delivering to the wrong address yesterday.

As usual I will post my thoughts on the tome.

Paul
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• I have Gareth Glover's latest Waterloo Archive Volume IV: British Sources, which was delivered to me via a neighbour due to the postman delivering to the wrong address yesterday.

As usual I will post my thoughts on the tome.
      Please do.

(we got the same postman amazingly )

I don' t know if this book i' m curently reading exist in english:

Mémoires from Capitaine Francois, aka "the egyptian dromedary", a french soldier who fought "from Valmy to Waterloo".

A soldier point of view about various aspects of war, mainly the fights. Very interesting to read and learn from.

I guess you can read some sketches from him in this book:

"To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

• Gentlemen:
        Thank you for the recommendations above. I now have 2 more books on my Amazon "wishlist".
        Still, I would like to find one on the Battle of Dresden.
        Is anyone aware of a modern treatment of that battle?
        Thanks for your help.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

• Thanks, for the best book review i ever read.
          Well laid out with clear precise explanations.

Have ordered book with your comments in mind.
          Regards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
            Gentlemen:
            Thank you for the recommendations above. I now have 2 more books on my Amazon "wishlist".
            Still, I would like to find one on the Battle of Dresden.
            Is anyone aware of a modern treatment of that battle?
            Thanks for your help.
            The only one I can think of is by George Nafziger: "Napoleon at Dresden" which of course forms part of his 1813 trilogy. The other volumes are "Lutzen and Bautzen" & "Napoleon at Leipzig".

Comment

• I said ages ago that I would post comments on Gareth Glovers Waterloo Archive Volume IV.

I must say that the book is much better than his Volume III, with a good selection of letters on what the Light cavalry was doing during the final advance. Of Thomas Playford who was a 2nd Life Guards trooper, who went a long way to document some interesting eye witness accounts on the charge against D'Erlons Corps and how he saw Corporal Shaw wounded and knocked off his horse by a spent ball early in the action, before remounting another horse and rejoining the fray.

An excellent account of Lt. George Simmons of the 95th, who describes his very serious wounding and subsequent trials, tribulations and recovery post battle.

And a very poignant couple of letters from Ensign the Honourable Samuel S. Barrington of the 2nd Battalion of the 1st Foot Guards who sent his last letter home to his mother on the 15th June, thereafter the letters sent to his family are from his officer peers within the Guards and friends of the family.

A good book? yup! and well worth the £20 that I paid for it.

I have also purchased in the past week, all three volumes (the fourth and final book is out in two years time) of Rifle Green in the Peninsular by George Caldwell and Robert Cooper, illustrated by James Dann and by published by Bugle Horn. I have only read some 77 pages of volume one which covers the landing at Mondego Bay in Portugal, the battles of Rolica, Vimerio and the Cintra scandal.

Even though the books are obviously focused on the Rifle regiments, the battles themselves are also described in the bigger picture with each battle being accompanied with a battle map and the text holding a listing of the Allied OOB for each engagement and names of all riflemen who were casualties at said battles, with vignette illustrations and black & white photos of the prominent parts of the battlefields. The other interesting thing about the books are the tables at the end of the books that lists names of those that were sick or died after returning to England from the evacuation of northern Spain. But the bonus about these books are the colour illustrations by James Dann 'four in each' portraying incidents of note.

All three books cost me £86 which if you include the £6 booklet on Waterloo by the same authors and which I hope will be here soon and Volume IV which I suspect will be in the £40 bracket; then the outlay will be a grand total of £132 and worth every penny

When I opened the parcel I noticed that Volume I, didn't have a dust jacket and I was about to contact the publishers when I noticed a 'with compliments' note inside the cover written by Robert Cooper (one of the authors) that says:

"Many thanks for your order; Volume I was produced without a dust jacket. A dust jacket may be produced with Volume IV in a couple of years time".

Regards, Robert Cooper.

For those interested, here is their website:

http://www.buglehorn.co.uk/

Paul
              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 17 Aug 12, 22:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                I said ages ago that I would post comments on Gareth Glovers Waterloo Archive Volume IV.
                Thanks for keeping your promisse, Paul.
                My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• I'm currently looking to purchase 'The Campaigns of Napoleon' by David G Chandler. But the only copies available are used or too expensive. I hope they reprint it sometime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by DerKaiser View Post
                    I'm currently looking to purchase 'The Campaigns of Napoleon' by David G Chandler. But the only copies available are used or too expensive. I hope they reprint it sometime soon.

Good luck on that, as I can't even get a copy and
                    I have all his other Nap books. Lets hope they do
                    do a re-print.

Comment

• I can't believe the price the book is going for on Amazon.

I did find a copy available on abebooks for $107.00 and change if either of you are interested.

I still can't believe over $400.00 for a copy. Unbelievable.

Sincerely,
                      M
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• They are for sale at Abe Books from £45.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-searc...dler/sortby/3/

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...st%2520soldier

If you are desperate, do what I do; buy a second hand copy and keep it until the reprint comes out

Paul
                        Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 22 Aug 12, 13:24.

Comment

• A good book about Napoleon Bonaparte himself is Napoleon by Felix Markham. A magnificent novel about the time period is The Red and the Black by Stendhal

Comment

• Wish it would hurry up I can't wait any longer...

Comment

• Me too, James. I'm looking forward to this one.

Sincerely,
                              M
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Can anyone recomend a book on the 1812 Russian campaign? Something other than War & Peace lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X