All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Thank you Dibble. This sorce is of course much cheaper and I will consider to buy it now.

Comment

• I enjoy reading about the campaigns and battles but also what was it like to be a soldier of that period. So here is my list of some of the books I have enjoyed.

1 The Campaigns of Napoleon - David G Chandler
        2 A Dorset Rifleman, Recollections of Rifleman Harris
        3 A Soldier of the 71st - Joseph Sinclair
        4 A Boy in the Peninsular War - Robert Blakeney
        5 Wellington at Waterloo - Jac Weller
        6 Wellington in the Peninsula 1808-1814 - Jac Weller
        7 Memoirs of a French Napoleonic Officer: Jean-Baptiste Barres,
        Chasseur of the Imperial Guard - Edited Maurice Barres
        8 Journal of the Waterloo Campaign 1815 - Cavalie Mercer
        9 A Military History & Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars - Espisito &
        Elting
        10 The Military Memoirs of Charles Parquin - B T Jones

Trivia 1 (which you probably already know) When the Imperial Guard went out on the town if they did not have shapely legs some of them had false calves made to wear under their silk stockings (but not out of silicon I suspect). That's in Barres I think.

Trivia 2 When I lived in Camberley I attended evening class lectures by David Chandler. He was superb to listen to and could keep everybody spellbound. If anyone is interested I have one of his sylabus still and can post it if anyone is iterested (and I can work out how to post it).

Comment

• "The Proud Canaries" by David Johnson is perhaps the best book I've ever read. It's about Antoine Charles-Louis Lasalle and is very well written. Not so much a biography as it is a historical fiction with an absolute minimum on the fiction part.

Comment

• Sounds very interesting, Dirigo.

Two great books on the horizon...

http://www.napoleonbooks.com/coming_soon.html

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/stor..._9781780960852
            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Keith Rocco Napoleon's First Italian Campaign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDcjm8RRxME

That's the way to promote a new book (full of plates).
              My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Just finished my 9th Sharpe book, "Sharpe's gold". Every single one was a good read and very enjoyable. Just another 11 to go. In the books Sharpe aparently has black hair. Can't imagine him with black hair because the blond Jean Bean played him so well.

Comment

• I recently reread "From Corunna to Waterloo The Letters and Journals of Two Napoleonic Hussars by Gareth Glover
                  Quite a good read. The detail of the letters is a bit tedious occassionally but they convincingly portray the feelings, hopes, thoughts and ambitions of the correspondents.

Does anyone has an opinion on this book? Is it accurate and reliable enough to use for research about British Cavalry?

Comment

• I recently reread "From Corunna to Waterloo The Letters and Journals of Two Napoleonic Hussars by Gareth Glover
                    Quite a good read. The detail of the letters is a bit tedious occassionally but they convincingly portray the feelings, hopes, thoughts and ambitions of the correspondents.

Does anyone has an opinion on this book? Is it accurate and reliable enough to use for research about British Cavalry?

Comment

• keith Rocco's view of the 1st campaign in Italy

Originally posted by Zouave View Post
                      Keith Rocco Napoleon's First Italian Campaign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDcjm8RRxME

That's the way to promote a new book (full of plates).
                      It has already published in france, with the same kind of album by patrice Courcelle on the 2nd campaign in Italy.

see

http://www.editionsquatuor.com/catal...s_napoleon.php

i couldn't find the english version of the site, sorry

Comment

• Originally posted by the Iron Duke View Post
                        Just finished my 9th Sharpe book, "Sharpe's gold". Every single one was a good read and very enjoyable. Just another 11 to go. In the books Sharpe aparently has black hair. Can't imagine him with black hair because the blond Jean Bean played him so well.
                        He also had a (sabre) scar by his lip that gave him a slight 'smirk' look

Paul
                        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                        All human ills he can subdue,
                        Or with a bauble or medal
                        Can win mans heart for you;
                        And many a blessing know to stew
                        To make a megloamaniac bright;
                        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• A nice site (and Database !) about "the last survivors"

http://grognard.fr/english.html

And a nice book too:

http://lesdernierstemoins.free.fr/

And, by the way, does anyone know this book:

"To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

• And, by the way, does anyone know this book:

[/QUOTE]

Don't know the book, but I do know who the bloke in the photo is!
                            The long toll of the brave
                            Is not lost in darkness
                            Over the fruitful earth
                            And athwart the seas
                            Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

And, by the way, does anyone know this book:

Don't know the book, but I do know who the bloke in the photo is!
                                [/QUOTE]

Which one's the bloke? Don't like your's much mate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X