Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books: Best Books/Links on The Napoleonic Era

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    So now all I have to do is read the one that I will send on to my Brother, and keep the signed copy in a pristine, unopened condition.
    My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

    Comment


    • I have my eyes on this one...

      Charging Against Wellington: The French Cavalry in the Peninsular War, 1807-1814 by Robert Burnham

      http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=3043

      http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Again...0058736&sr=1-2

      Robert Burnham is the Editor-in-Chief of http://www.napoleon-series.org/
      Last edited by Zouave; 13 Mar 11, 19:15.
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Zouave View Post
        I have my eyes on this one...

        Charging Against Wellington: The French Cavalry in the Peninsular War, 1807-1814 by Robert Burnham

        http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=3043

        http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Again...0058736&sr=1-2

        Robert Burnham is the Editor-in-Chief of http://www.napoleon-series.org/
        Sounds very interesting. Please let us know what you think when you read it.

        Comment


        • http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/imag...=books-intl-de
          Is this book any good? Please led me know. I'm tempted to buy it. Please let me know what you think.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by the Iron Duke View Post
            http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/imag...=books-intl-de
            Is this book any good? Please led me know. I'm tempted to buy it. Please let me know what you think.
            Haven't read it but have just downloaded an early version (1815) at http://books.google.com/books?id=r9x...page&q&f=false

            You might want to skim & decide whether to purchase....
            Last edited by Prinz Essling; 23 Mar 11, 18:03. Reason: spelling

            Comment


            • Iron Duke I own it but have not had the luxury of reading it as of yet.

              Its the accounts of Albert Jean Michel de Rocca and officer in
              the French cavalry in the Peninsular War and chapters include
              battles of Merida, Talavera, Andalusia, fighting Mountain Guerillas
              and the Campaign of Portugal.

              The book is a 177 pages so if the price is right you might
              consider it as its his memories.

              Hope this is helpful.

              Comment


              • Thank you for the advice Prinz Essling and General Brock. The price on amazon certainly is quite moderate and since it really is only 177 pages long I will probably order it. I need to do some reading about the Peninsular war from the French side for a change. Most books about this period I read were from the English perspective with some exceptions.

                Comment


                • Just finished rereading this and continue to enjoy it....the topic has beat to death but insights still come.

                  Davout and Napoleon: A Study of Their Personal RelationshipBy John Gallaher

                  http://www.napoleonicsociety.com/eng.../c_davout.html

                  Comment


                  • Same goes for this one.

                    http://www.napoleonicsociety.com/eng...ccueil_Eng.htm

                    Comment


                    • This looks interesting. I will be ordering it soon.


                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184...pf_rd_i=507846
                      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

                      Comment


                      • I finally started reading the Sharpe books. Absolutely brilliant. I finished Sharpe's Tiger and Triumph within days and now I'm waiting for Sharpe's Fortress and Trafalger to arrive. Can't wait. What I did realise however, is how different the books are from the series. For example the event's of the latest films, Sharpe's peril and Challenge and the involved Characters such as Major Dodd, Madame Chaubert, Major Stoke, etc. are already mentioned in the first and second books. Sergeant Bakerstiff, in the latest episode has taken over the role of Sergeant Hakeswill in the book.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by the Iron Duke View Post
                          I finally started reading the Sharpe books. Absolutely brilliant. I finished Sharpe's Tiger and Triumph within days and now I'm waiting for Sharpe's Fortress and Trafalger to arrive. Can't wait. What I did realise however, is how different the books are from the series. For example the event's of the latest films, Sharpe's peril and Challenge and the involved Characters such as Major Dodd, Madame Chaubert, Major Stoke, etc. are already mentioned in the first and second books. Sergeant Bakerstiff, in the latest episode has taken over the role of Sergeant Hakeswill in the book.
                          That is because when they came to film the Sharpe series in India, Sean Bean was a little old to be playing a fresh faced private - plus to keep the budget to a minimum they have mashed together some of the plot points in the first three books.

                          It is a shame really that the series was not made ten years later when a lot of the special effects could be done on computer, freeing up the budget for more authentic portrayals of the novels story-lines.

                          I am very jealous of you though mate, reading the series from the start for the first time is a wonderful thing! I urge you to check out some of Cornwells other series too (Holy Grail, Arthurian Legends, Saxon Stories). He is a very readable author.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Lt-Bromhead View Post
                            That is because when they came to film the Sharpe series in India, Sean Bean was a little old to be playing a fresh faced private - plus to keep the budget to a minimum they have mashed together some of the plot points in the first three books.

                            It is a shame really that the series was not made ten years later when a lot of the special effects could be done on computer, freeing up the budget for more authentic portrayals of the novels story-lines.

                            I am very jealous of you though mate, reading the series from the start for the first time is a wonderful thing! I urge you to check out some of Cornwells other series too (Holy Grail, Arthurian Legends, Saxon Stories). He is a very readable author.
                            I whole heartily agree with you and I plan to order also Cornwells "The Fort"

                            Comment


                            • I just read Wawro's War and Society in Europe 1792-1914. It's a good read.

                              Comment


                              • Has anyone read before:

                                Horses and Saddlery: An account of the animals by the British and Commonwealth Armies from the Seventeenth Century to the Present day with a description of their Equipment
                                Author: Major G. Tylden

                                It is considered as the stnadard work on British army horses. I need it for research about Wellington's cavalry. I looked on amazon and found a copy for over 81 pound in used condition. The price put me of a little so before I plunge into debt I would like to know it would be worse the investment.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X