X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by General Brock View Post
    Let me know what you think of it when yo get it Legate I am
    interested.
    Will do. Should have by Sat. or Mon. at the latest.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
      Will do. Should have by Sat. or Mon. at the latest.
      Well I just got the book and all I can say is.....WOW!! The detail in this book is awesome,there is lterally a map on every other page. The major battles have two maps-one is the traditional map showing the placement of units the second maps shows the same units on a 2-d sort of map that shows what the terrain was like on the battle field.

I recommend that all you fellow Napoleoniacs get the book asap!! If you have to spend several months book budget on this one,do it. I think the price will go up within a year or two. Easily worth $150. By far the best work that I have seen from OSPREY.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Thanks Legate for the info will be ordering ASAP.

Comment

• Everything you ever want to know about napoleonic horse artillery:-

http://www.napoleon-series.org/milit...fcontents.html
          www.13thfoot.co.uk

Comment

• Can't believe I missed this gem when it originally came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-Shie...3817792&sr=1-1

Our friend Kevin Kiley (aka Massena) has reviewed it.
            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• I was the manuscript reviewer for that book and helped the author with the ride of the Polish Light Horse up the Somosierra Pass in late 1808.

I had the great fortune to meet Edward Ryan two years ago. He was a great gentleman and a veteran of the Battle for Leyte Gulf in 1944. Unfortunately for all of us he passed away last year. I was fortunate to meet him and spend time with him.

The book is excellent and the story of 'Jambe de Bois' extraordinary. His comments to the Russian officer who demanded he surrender the fortress of Vincennes in 1814 after the loss of Paris to the allies were outstanding. He basically told the Russian that as soon as the allies returned his leg they could have the fortress. The Russians didn't get the fortress.

Sincerely,
              M
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• I didn't know he passed away, M. Sorry to hear that.
                My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• I picked up these in a Dublin bookshop over the Christmas Holidays:

A History of the Expedition to Russia Vol. 1 & 2
                  by Count Philip de Segur

http://www.amazon.com/History-Expedi...972648&sr=1-11

They were going for just €6.99 each!

I heard they were good but has anyone here read them and what do they think?

Thanks in advance...
                  http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Gourgaud and de Segur on Russia

I have both de Segur's memoir of the Russian campaign as well as Gourgaud's. De Segur was a staff officer on the Imperial staff during the campaign, and Gourgaud was one of Napoleon's junior ADCs, an officier d'ordonnance. Gourgaud was the 'head' of that select group of junior ADCs if I remember correctly.

De Segur's memoir is somewhat less accurate than Gourgaud's. In fact, Gourgaud actually wrote his to contradict some of the more 'remarkable' things that de Segur wrote. He also called out de Segur over it and shot him in a duel for his trouble. Gourgaud continually refers to de Segur as 'the officer of the palace' in his memoir.

Gourgaud was suffering from the old soldier's habit of 'remembering with advantages.' It does happen to many of us. De Segur's 'tale' of the attack of the 3d Squadron of the Polish Light Horse at Somosierra in November 1808is another inaccurate rendering by him, even though he participated in the charge and was wounded during it.

De Segur's account of Russia should be read by anyone interested in the Russian campaign as he saw the day-to-day operations of the Imperial General Staff. Then Gourgaud's account should also be read, after reading de Segur's. That would be a literary treat I should think.

Sincerely,
                    M
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

• Is that the same Gourgaud that followed Napoleon to St Helena M? If so, please take a look at an account from one of the newspapers in my collection regarding the duel forbidden by Napoleon between himself and Montholon on St Helena. Seems he was always duelling!
                      Also in the account is a supposed plot to free Napoleon. Amazing stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
                        I have both de Segur's memoir of the Russian campaign as well as Gourgaud's. De Segur was a staff officer on the Imperial staff during the campaign, and Gourgaud was one of Napoleon's junior ADCs, an officier d'ordonnance. Gourgaud was the 'head' of that select group of junior ADCs if I remember correctly.

De Segur's memoir is somewhat less accurate than Gourgaud's. In fact, Gourgaud actually wrote his to contradict some of the more 'remarkable' things that de Segur wrote. He also called out de Segur over it and shot him in a duel for his trouble. Gourgaud continually refers to de Segur as 'the officer of the palace' in his memoir.

Gourgaud was suffering from the old soldier's habit of 'remembering with advantages.' It does happen to many of us. De Segur's 'tale' of the attack of the 3d Squadron of the Polish Light Horse at Somosierra in November 1808is another inaccurate rendering by him, even though he participated in the charge and was wounded during it.

De Segur's account of Russia should be read by anyone interested in the Russian campaign as he saw the day-to-day operations of the Imperial General Staff. Then Gourgaud's account should also be read, after reading de Segur's. That would be a literary treat I should think.

Sincerely,
                        M
                        Thanks Massena I will bear that in mind reading his account.

Our memory plays tricks on us as the years past...
                        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• The last sentence, I can't even dispute...

Comment

• Compans,

Yep, that's the guy-completely trusted by Napoleon and a competent, brave, and loyal officer, even if they had to wear sky blue uniforms.

Sincerely,
                            M

Comment

• Books on Polish Army

I will start my first posting on this section with a recommendation for books on the Polish Army during the Napoleonic period.
                              Whilst the books are in Polish there are many uniform plates with French and English translations.
                              Worth a look at what is available.
                              Regards
                              Tom
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Hi there
                                This attachment is out of print at the moment but a 2nd edition will be available later this year.
                                Regards
                                Tom
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X