X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Firebee View Post
    Hello all, new member here.

Don't if this is the correct thread to post it but I am a beginner on this era of war and I'm looking for books which give a beginner a good overview of the battles/campaigns. Mostly, I'm interested in the French and Russian sides, with Prussia as a third option. So recommendations are very much welcome.
    Here's a Link that might be a good starting point:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30564777/The-Napoleonic-Wars
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Richard Holmes "Wellington" has anyone read this and what are
      your thoughts on his examination of The Duke.

I thought we had discussed this before but could not locate.
      Last edited by General Brock; 16 Oct 10, 13:16.

Comment

• Have browsed through it in the shops.

Unfortunately it reads like another Hagiography I'm afraid...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
          Have browsed through it in the shops.

No it doesn't read like that at all sorry to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Brock View Post
            No it doesn't read like that at all sorry to say.
            Well maybe your reading it cover to cover while I only browsed through it.

But it seems to me not much different than any other bio of Wellington I have read.

I mean in relation to his military operations rather than his personal & political life which have long been recognized as a bit messy.

Comment

• I am 'trying' to get through two books on Napoleon, which, 'amongst other things', I was able to retrieve from my Ex's attic. One is by Vincent Cronin, the other by Alan Shom. The first was in paperback form that I tried to read but only got halfway through. The Schom one still had its bookmark in situ on page 438/439 'Point of no return' (how apt). the memories of both of these tomes is of Cronin being a rabid Nappy sycophant and Schom a rabid anti Nappyist.

As I say, I am 'trying' to read them from the start again () I will tell you exactly what I think of them at a later date.

I also recovered some Model figures, some painted, I will post the pictures of them here on this thread (unless I am advised to post them elsewhere). I must warn you though, most of them are not of a Napoleonic theme.

Paul
              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 17 Oct 10, 12:23.
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
                Have browsed through it in the shops.

I found it a very interesting and entertaining read. However, I read it a very long time ago.

Comment

• I'm trieng to read the Peninsular War Vol. II by Charles Oman. I'm about half way through. So it is very interesting read, it does have it's long moments from time to time. He is very critical about Napier. I haven't read volume I. yet. I'm working my way backwards.

Comment

• Cronin

Paul,

I received as a gift Cronin's biography when it came out in 1972. I was in my first year at West Point at the time. It was my second biography on him, the first being by Andre Castelot. Both were gifts from my mom.

I can't agree with your characterization of Cronin-he's not a sycophant. His biography is sympathetic to Napoleon, but his source material and analysis is excellent and he paints a picture of Napoleon as a person, not some demi-god or monster as pictured by other authors. Cronin backs up what he says and if you read Marchand and/or Fain you're going to get similar views on Napoleon and they worked for him and knew him personally. He isn't the 'ogre' you'd like him to be historically and he is much more admirable than his fellow heads of state in any major nation of the time.

I suppose you don't like Cronin or the book for the fact that he is sympathetic to Napoleon? If so, then we're merely seeing this again:

That is emotion and not historical inquiry. I can both see and understand why you don't like Napoleon, but to characterize Cronin as a sycophant is just a little beyond the Pale I think. If you don't like the book, why don't you write a short review of it explaining where you believe Cronin to be in error? That would make for a good discussion I think.

Cronin's appendix on memoirs is a minor gem.

When Schom's book came out in 1996, I think, he was interviewed on C-Span and he does not know the period nor does he understand the period and the people in it. The book is nothing but an anti-Napoleon diatribe and there is much in it that is incorrect factually. In short, it isn't history.

Sincerely,
                    M
                    Last edited by Massena; 24 Oct 10, 08:21.
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Hendrik Willem van Loon

Paul,

Here's a quote by van Loon, an historian, that illustrates quite well the 'split personality' of ideas, beliefs, and opinions on Napoleon:

'Here I am sitting at a comfortable table loaded heavily with books, with one eye on my typewriter and the other on Licorice the cat, who has a great fondness for carbon paper, and I am telling you that the Emperor Napoleon was a most contemptible person. But should I happen to look out of the window, down upon Seventh Avenue, and should the endless procession of trucks and carts come to a sudden halt, and should I hear the sound of the heavy drums and see the little man on his white horse, in his old and much-worn green uniform, then I don't know, but I am afraid that I would leave my books and the kitten and my home and everything else to follow him wherever he cared to lead. My own grandfather did this and Heaven knows he was not born to be a hero.'

Sincerely,
                      M
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

• Napoleon Bio

What volume would you all suggest as a good bio on Napoleon?
                        Cheers!
                        Larry

My Wargaming Blog:
                        http://thelongleadline.blogspot.com/

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

• Napoleon's Biography

Cronin's is the best one that I've read. Steven Englund's is also worthwhile. In actuality, all that you can get hold of you should read and then make up your own mind. You can never read too much.

Sincerely,
                          M

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
                            Paul,

I received as a gift Cronin's biography when it came out in 1972. I was in my first year at West Point at the time. It was my second biography on him, the first being by Andre Castelot. Both were gifts from my mom.

I can't agree with your characterization of Cronin-he's not a sycophant. His biography is sympathetic to Napoleon, but his source material and analysis is excellent and he paints a picture of Napoleon as a person, not some demi-god or monster as pictured by other authors. Cronin backs up what he says and if you read Marchand and/or Fain you're going to get similar views on Napoleon and they worked for him and knew him personally. He isn't the 'ogre' you'd like him to be historically and he is much more admirable than his fellow heads of state in any major nation of the time.

I suppose you don't like Cronin or the book for the fact that he is sympathetic to Napoleon? If so, then we're merely seeing this again:

That is emotion and not historical inquiry. I can both see and understand why you don't like Napoleon, but to characterize Cronin as a sycophant is just a little beyond the Pale I think. If you don't like the book, why don't you write a short review of it explaining where you believe Cronin to be in error? That would make for a good discussion I think.

Cronin's appendix on memoirs is a minor gem.

When Schom's book came out in 1996, I think, he was interviewed on C-Span and he does not know the period nor does he understand the period and the people in it. The book is nothing but an anti-Napoleon diatribe and there is much in it that is incorrect factually. In short, it isn't history.

Sincerely,
                            M
                            Kevin

This is what I posted, and I stand by it.

Vincent Cronin, the other by Alan Shom. The first was in paperback form that I tried to read but only got halfway through. The Schom one still had its bookmark in situ on page 438/439 'Point of no return' (how apt). the memories of both of these tomes is of Cronin being a rabid Nappy sycophant and Schom a rabid anti Nappyist.
                            People who admire Napoleon, will I am sure Big up Cronin's biography, I won't, the same as I won't big up Schom. I as you know, have no liking for Napoleon but Schom shows his blatant hatred for the man that spoils his selective and detailed tome. He uses more quote marks than I have ever seen in conjunction with the printed word and his personal inserted comments (mainly to snipe) do absolutely nothing but put the reader off. I for one would not recommend the book to anyone.

IIR, I spent 15 on this 'doorstep' of a paperback, I could have spent the money better by buying a 'door mat' to wipe my feet on.

As for Cronin, I'm sorry, but the flowery way in which he portrays Napoleon is the absolute opposite to Schom. From his birth, abuse of his older brother, right up to (where, if I remember correctly, I stopped reading it) 'Opening The Churches; he has done no wrong, he's misunderstood, forced by a bad world or internal turmoil to act. Nothing is down Napoleon, oh no! it's the rest of the nasty world thats all to blame.

Money wise, I was luck with the Cronin book as at the time it only cost me about 1 from a second hand bookstall at a market in St Albans many years ago. With that 1, I could have got nearly a company (five figures) of 25mm French Line Fusiliers from Minifigs

So to sum up. If I had a set of scales and put Schom's 'monster' on one end and Cronin's 'medium' on the other, they would almost balance (a slight tip towards Schom with the weight of quote marks) because they are equally stuffed with heavy bias.

I shan't give up on these 'Napoleon' Tomes, I am determined to re read them, but when I actually get to finish them is not any time soon (or perhaps by the end of January)

Paul
                            Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 25 Oct 10, 03:59.
                            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                            All human ills he can subdue,
                            Or with a bauble or medal
                            Can win mans heart for you;
                            And many a blessing know to stew
                            To make a megloamaniac bright;
                            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Biographies

Paul,

I'm sorry, but you're not describing the book that I've read. Perhaps we're interpreting it differently.

Sincerely,
                              Kevin

Comment

• A John Gill reissue a must to have so I have been told.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X