This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vladimir Pantin View Post
    In the Europe, the book has been published in France.
    It can be purchased at ABE Books priced at between £47.61 to £107.65. excluding postage.

Paul
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 07 Oct 09, 03:57.
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by vladimir Pantin View Post
      In the Europe, the book has been published in France.
      Thanks for the heads up, Vladimir.

Btw, welcome aboard.
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Has anyone read Voices of Thunder by Gareth Glover.

Book Description

"It is 1815, and the news that Napoleon has escaped from Elba, causes a rush to reinforce the small Allied army under the command of the Duke of Wellington in Belgium. Two such units are the 1st Battalion 95th Rifles and G Troop Royal Horse Artillery. This is the story of these men as they march rapidly through Belgium, their exploits on route and the sudden explosive campaign, which culminated in the Battle of Waterloo.
        The novel is the culmination of years of primary research in the Public Records Office, National Army Museum and Regimental Museums. It uses information gleaned from numerous memoirs, including a large number of unpublished accounts to paint a vivid and realistic picture of events. This book is a real human story, the people existed and every event described actually occurred. Gareth has very cleverly intertwined these various strands to produce a fast paced, enthralling and powerful account of life in Wellington's Army.

About the Author
        Gareth is a 42 year old ex naval officer who has run a fine food emporium in Cardiff for the last fourteen years.He has always had a deep interest in the lives of the ordinary soldiers in the Napoleonic era and has read extensively on the subject. He has studied the history of the Napoleonic Wars for more than twenty years and has written a number of articles for various professional journals. He also has a book of unpublished letters from the Siborne files due to be published early in 2004."

Paul

Comment

• Hello.
          Something is known to you about these books? There are in these books Plates with a uniform?

Comment

• More Books...

Vladimir,

Thanks for the heads up on the book on the Grande Armee. I just ordered it. I would disagree with you, though (even though I don't have it yet), that at about 570 pages the book is a thorough overview of the Grande Armee. I'm partial to Col Elting's trilogy on the Grande Armee (A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars, Swords Around A Throne, and his four uniform books) as being the most thorough look at the Grande Armee that has been done. Swords alone is over 700 pages long and covers the Grande Armee from 'muzzle to butt plate.' However, if I find the book you've recommended to be better than the above I'll post it.

Gareth Glover is an excellent author and historian and if he has written it I would highly recommend it. I don't have his new one yet, but I have two of his other works and they are definitely on the 'must have' list.

Regarding the Atlas that I mentioned above, to my mind it is the best operational history of Napoleon's campaigns available. The Atlas portion is superb, but the narrative is also excellent and much superior to Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon. Chandler published his two years after the Atlas came out and some of the book attempts to categorize Napoleon's method of waging war and actually misses it. There are some parts of it that are excellent, but the Atlas is better prepared and researched and reads much better.

Sincerely,
            M
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Gareth Glover has Contacted me in a PM and has included a link to his website. Have a look at his releases for 2010 and beyond. If the books are as fascinating as the overview says then I for one can't wait.

And I concur With Massena;() Gareth's books are excellent. and yes I have also read the publication that is in my last post and I suggest others do too

http://www.garethglovercollection.co...rchivevol1.htm

Paul
              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 14 Oct 09, 07:47.

Comment

• I don't know if anyone has mentioned this; if they haven’t then here goes.

'OUT FOR CHRISTMAS'

NAPOLEON ET LES INVALIDES

Les Collections Napoleoniennes du Musee de l'armee

By Emilie Robbe

At last a beautiful study of the musee's Napoleonic collection:
                Mementoes of the Emperor, his marshals and the Grand Armee
                Flags, arms, uniforms, decorations, artillery and rare and everyday objects

French text, 300 pages in colour, 24x32 cm. 150grm art paper. £85.00 / $141.20 USD / 94 EUROS

Paul

Comment

• Collection of the Musee de l'Armee

Paul,

The Collection from the period 1792-1815 has already been in print since at least 1994, but in three volumes not one. They were done by Paul Willig and are excellent. I picked them up at the museum in 1994 and they are excellent.

If you're interested, I can post the individual titles.

Sincerely,
                  M
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    Paul,

The Collection from the period 1792-1815 has already been in print since at least 1994, but in three volumes not one. They were done by Paul Willig and are excellent. I picked them up at the museum in 1994 and they are excellent.

If you're interested, I can post the individual titles.

Sincerely,
                    M
                    Thanks for the thought, but I only posted the above because my Ken Trottman Ltd catalougue had the splerge on the back page, also I might add that above the splerge it says 'The Sensational new study' and I thought others on the forum may be interested.

Paul

Comment

• Sokolov's Book

'This best and fullest research of army of Napoleon. 585 pages. There is all. Regiments history, a staff, a uniform, arms, tactics, conscription and many other things.'

I just received the French translation of the above booka nd I do agree that it is an excellent volume with much information in it. I haven't read the entire book as yet, but have taken a look at a few portions of it and it is definitely a keeper. The 44 or so uniform prints in the book are good, but not as good as either Rousselot, Leliepvre, or the Knotels. I don't think the addition at the back of a reenactor section is an asset. Reenactors do some good work, but it is interpretive in nature and not all reenactors are equal. The inclusion of the author in period uniform is interesting, but not helpful. In short, to my mind the use of reenactor pictures as references, etc., is not valid research.

Lastly, while this volume is a valuable addition to the literature of the period and is lavishly illustrated which is more than helpful, I cannot agree with the quote that is at the beginning of this posting.

Sincerely,
                      M

Comment

• Picked up one recently when our local branch of Borders closed down - for €10!.

The Emperor and the Irishman: Napoleon and Dr Barry O'Meara on St Helena
                        by Dr Hubert O'Connor

Dr O'Meara was a Royal Navy Surgeon who was appointed to be Napoleon's personal physician on the island. He was with him from 1815 until August 1818 when he was removed.

He kept a diary of his meeting with the Emperor and recorded much interesting information relating to Napoleon's viewpoints on past and present events.
                        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Fifty-nine general officers are examined in the medium of the battles they fought across the lenght and breadth of Europe. From Marengo in 1800 to Ligny in 1815, both French victories and defeats are studied in detail, each chapter covering a battle fought and the generals who commanded them.

Kevin F. Kiley is a retired US Marine Corps artillery officer. A graduate of the Military Academy at West Point, he now teaches history and mathematics.
                          "To the brave the rifle is nothing but a bayonet's hilt" (Napoleon)

Comment

• Originally posted by Duc de Abrantes View Post

Fifty-nine general officers are examined in the medium of the battles they fought across the lenght and breadth of Europe. From Marengo in 1800 to Ligny in 1815, both French victories and defeats are studied in detail, each chapter covering a battle fought and the generals who commanded them.

Kevin F. Kiley is a retired US Marine Corps artillery officer. A graduate of the Military Academy at West Point, he now teaches history and mathematics.
                            And hangs out here as well,aka 'Massena'.
                            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by legate View Post
                              and hangs out here as well,aka 'massena'.
                              wow !!!
                              "To the brave the rifle is nothing but a bayonet's hilt" (Napoleon)

Comment

• Many Thanks...

Mon Cher Duc,

Thank you very much for mentioning Titans. I deeply appreciate it. It took awhile to write but was both fun and interesting all the same.

Sincerely,
                                M

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X