Napoleon's best Generals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleon's best Generals

Who would your choice be? Best General and/or Marshall?

Lannes for his action, bravery and leadership well demonstrated at Arcola, Acre and Aboukir to name a few battles.

One bit of trivia: What was his nickname?
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Re: Napoleon's best Generals

Originally posted by dannybou
    Who would your choice be? Best General and/or Marshall?

Lannes for his action, bravery and leadership well demonstrated at Arcola, Acre and Aboukir to name a few battles.

One bit of trivia: What was his nickname?
    I would say that Davout was Napoleon's best general.

On the trivia, isn't his nickname was the same as Ney's (The bravest of the brave?)

Comment

best general

I would also say Davout, was Napoleon's best general.

Lannes' nom de guerre "The Roland of the French Army".

Comment

Re: best general

Originally posted by dougkl

Is that what it was? oops!

Comment

Re: best general

Originally posted by dougkl

Bingo!! :thumb:
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Davoult was probably best, soult would be #2.

And lasalle was the best cavalry commander, not that idiot Murat.

Comment

Napoleon's best general

Well it depends on what your saearching for:

If your looking for the best overall general in Napoleon's own eyes then it would be none other than himself.

If your looking for the best suborinate commander, the choices become more difficult because Napoleon was able to surround himself with some of the most able military men of his century.

But as none of them were masters of true combined arms warfare as was Napoleon, many stand out for their particular speciality.

Murat and Ney for their aggressive use of cavalry

Messena , Moreau, and Davout for dogged defense and incredible elan in the face of fire.

McDonald, Lannes, for taking the initiative when the battle hung in the balance.

Then again if you looking for the man who made much of this happen, who stood behind the scenes at Napoleon's right hand then Alexandre Bethier is the real champion of Napoleonic warfare. He was the Chief of Staff, the man who coordinated all of Napoleon's remarkable talent to bring about the concentration of force at the critical point Napoleon had chosen. He is a precursor to men such as Keital, Jodl, Marshall, and other great military administrators.
              As a tactical leader he was third rate, he could not effectively command a regiment, much less an army, but he had the remarkable ability to organize and move large bodies of men and materiel to gain a victory. He was also an opportunist and deserted his master in the end.

Comment

napoleon's best general

Another point for Davout. Of the 22 surviving Marshalls all but one , Davout took service with the Bourbons in 1814.

Davout chose exile, which is why he probably got the job watching Paris while Napoleon campaigned in 1815.

Comment

When Napoleon knew the job would be tough and the odds long he sent Lannes to lead. Lannes' death started a slow decline for Napoleon's armies.
                  Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Simply in general ability, I must go with Marshall Ney. In the big picture, though, Ney appeared poorly adaptable, inflexible. Given that, I'm not sure who I'd pick - this is not my best area.
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Actually I like Desaix(sp?) But he died early. Also Eugene was bad.

Comment

Davout

I think you have to go with the Iron Marshal (Davout) as the most capable of the Napoleon's generals. His victory at Auerstadt was superb. He never really enjoyed Napoleon's highest confidence. Perhaps the Napoleon didn't like other stars shining as brightly.

For my second choice, I would probably go with Suchet. His work in Spain was noteworthy. In an earlier time, I also like Masséna. However, he eventually got beaten bad by the Sepoy General (Wellington.)

Comment

Who didn't get beaten by Wellington, everyone he fought he beat. Most Marshals were to busy looting and underestimating the sepoy general to have a chance of beating him.
                          Also the French command in spain was disunited causing huge problems in coordination or even cooperation, how could they win.

Comment

Masséna

Masséna was not at his best by the time he faced Wellington. First, Masséna never wanted to fight in Spain. Napoleon basically forced him to serve. Second, Masséna's health had really gone downhill by the time he reached Spain. He was right to retire and live on his ill-gotten gains.

Wellington was not invincible. He came real close to losing at Talverra. Of course, the Spanish Army didn't help that day and he never trusted the Spanish Army again. Wellington came close to losing at Waterloo. I think if Napoleon had used Davout to run his Army at Waterloo, Wellington would have been in much greater trouble.

Comment

Lannes was kind of like Napolean's Stonewall Jackson. After his death Nappy never did seem to do as well.
                              Davout , Suchet and Lannes for Corps commanders. Murat for Cavalry[need an audacious fellow!] Ney for Old Guard commander[Nappy can just sort of point and shoot him...Ney's bravery v useful here]

But we cannot forget Berthier! This staff officer if present would likely have radically altered Napoleans 100 days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X