Battlefields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefields

One day in the far future I like to visit some Napoleonic battlefields. Does anyone have any ones they would share?

I would like to visit:

Aspern-Essling
    Wagram
    http://www.historynotes.info/wp-cont...of-Austria.jpg

Archduke Charles!

Essling, Jena, Auerstadt, and Friedland as well as the Berezina.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Good Evening Friends

I am just new to the forum, so I will be a 'newbie' to you all. Many years ago I told my wife that I would visit all the battlefields that the Emperor was present at. I started in 1980 and I am still visiting.

Not Good Sites
      Dont go to Aspern-Essling - its a shopping mall.
      Nothing at Jena (they were beaten so why keep the site)
      The Berezina - is a cold river with a few signposts. Borodino is pretty good if you get past the fact that the historical narriative is so incorrect to be laughable.

Good Sites (worth the airplane fare)
      Austerlitz - names have all changed but the topography is as it was on the day.
      Any of the Spanish Fortress Castles/Towns - Salamanca is my fav.

Best Site
      Has to be Waterloo including Plancenoit. None other come close. The new museum is very good indeed. Any Napoleonic person thinking of a trip should visit Waterloo. I have spent many a long Summer day on the 'champs d'honour' and every time I revisit its as if it was my first. I love the place.

Been to Gettysberg a few times and I did like that site.

Ney

Comment

For me, Waterloo and Arnhem are two places where history feels very close.

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Ney View Post
          Good Evening Friends

I am just new to the forum, so I will be a 'newbie' to you all. Many years ago I told my wife that I would visit all the battlefields that the Emperor was present at. I started in 1980 and I am still visiting.
          Welcome aboard. Good post.

New blood with added views and informed comments are always welcomed.

Comment

Rivoli, Marengo, Austerlitz and Waterloo are on my visit list.

Outside the Napoleon era ones:

Carillon/Ticonderoga (1758) in Upper NY State still remains one of my favorite ones.

The Plains of Abraham (1759) in Quebec City is a great spot to visit.

Agincourt, Fort Wagner, Dieppe, Juno Beach, Walcheren, Arnhem and Dien Bien Phu are also on my visit list.
            Last edited by Capt AFB; 09 Aug 20, 12:43.

Comment

Thanks for the good info everyone!
              http://www.historynotes.info/wp-cont...of-Austria.jpg

Archduke Charles!

Comment

I'd like to do a Peninsular War road trip, starting in Lisbon, and ending at Toulouse.

I was very fortunate to spend a few days touring the Waterloo campaign battlefields a couple of years ago - definitely worth it. There isn't a great deal at Quatre Bras, but enough to make the trip worthwhile. A lot of Ligny isn't original to the period (after all the town was very badly burnt due to the fires started during the battle), but there is a nice museum there. Waterloo itself is very easy to do in a day.

Comment

On exercise in Germany in the fall of 1978 a good portion of the exercise area was between UIm and Augsburg where part of the 1809 campaign took place.
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Napoleonic road trip:
                    from Portugal to finish in Waterloo
                    Non-exhaustive itinerary

VIMEIRO (August 20, 1808)
                    Vimeiro is a town in central Portugal, about a hundred kilometers north of Lisbon.
                    The battlefield is hilly and moderately wooded.

ROLIÇA (August 17, 1808)
                    Roliça is a village in central Portugal, some 80 kilometers north of Lisbon.
                    The battlefield consists of wooded ridges, arranged around the horseshoe-shaped village, open to the northeast on a valley leading to the walled town of Óbidos.

BUÇACO (or BUSSACO) (September 27, 1810)
                    Buçaco is a village in the center of Portugal, between Porto and Lisbon, in the middle of the mountains (Serra de Buçaco).
                    The battlefield is tormented and very wooded, the forest of Buçaco, now classified, comprising hundreds of different species, planted in the 17th century by the Carmelites of the nearby abbey [the convent is nowadays adjacent to a luxury hotel built at the end of the 19th century].

EL BODÓN (September 25, 1811)
                    El Bodón is a village located about fifteen kilometers south-west of Ciudad Rodrigo, a fortified city then besieged by the troops of General Wellington (in the south-west of what is now Castile and León, near the border with Portugal).
                    The battlefield is rugged and heavily forested for the region.

ARAPILES (SALAMANCA) (July 22, 1812)
                    The Battle of the Arapiles is called the Battle of Salamanca by the English speakers; in fact, the fighting took place a few kilometers south-east of this city (capital of the province of the same name, nowadays located in the south-west of the region of Castile and León).
                    The battlefield is an arid plain, to the east of the village of Arapiles, overlooked by several elevations, in particular the Petit Arapile to the north, the Grand Arapile to the south, the peak of Miranda and the Teso de Aldeatejada to the west. , and the hermitage Nuestra Señora de la Peña to the east, near the village of Calvarrasa de Arriba. The retreat of the French will be towards Alba de Tormes, to the south-east, then Garcihernandez.

SOMOSIERRA (November 30, 1808)
                    The Somosierra pass, culminating at 1,438 meters, is one of the rare passages allowing to reach Madrid from the north (Burgos), through the Sierra de Guadarrama. The road which leads there, oriented north-south, was at the time moderately winding (much less nowadays, having benefited in the XXth century from enlargements and rectifications, because of its statute of national road).
                    The battlefield consists of the road itself and its sides, the whole wide on average about thirty meters, over its last two kilometers. On the right (west), slightly below, a stream called El Duratón; on the left (east), the slopes of Peña Cebollera. The road is nowadays unused (except for access to plots), since a highway overlooks it to the west (participating, with many pylons of high voltage lines and a railway track, in the visual distortion of the site. ..).

VITORIA (June 21, 1813)
                    The city of Vitoria [Gasteiz], in the Spanish Basque Country, is located at the crossroads of several strategic routes, in this mountainous country: in the south-west towards Burgos and Madrid, in the north-west towards Bilbao [Bilbo], in the north-east to San Sebastián [Donostia] and east to Pamplona [Pamplona], the latter two leading to France.
                    The battlefield is a basin surrounded by mountains, twenty by ten kilometers. The fighting began in the southwest and west of the city, on both sides of the Zadorra river, a tributary of the Ebro. As the French retreated, they continued north of the city and into it. The rout of the French troops will be done in disorder towards Pamplona, in the east.

BORGHETTO (May 30, 1796)
                    The fighting took place in Valeggio-sul-Mincio, a small town twenty-five kilometers south-west of Verona, where Bonaparte had established his Headquarters, in which he failed to be captured. Then below the town, at a place called Borghetto (literally "Petit-Bourg") where the Mincio, widened by several artificial thresholds, is crossed by the Visconti bridge [Ponte Visconteo] built in the 14th century, 650 meters long and 20 wide, nowadays a road [Strada Viscontea].
                    The picturesque hamlet of Borghetto has several watermills, now restored, and is dominated by the imposing castle [Castello Scaligero] of Valeggio, built in the 13th century. It is part of the "I Borghi più belli d'Italia" club (The most beautiful villages in Italy).

ARCOLE (November 15 to 17, 1796)
                    The famous Arcole bridge spans the Alpone torrent, which flows north-south before flowing into the Adige river, a few kilometers south-east of Ronco all'Adige. The village is entirely located east of the Alpone, therefore on its left bank.
                    The bridge itself still retained its two piers in 2013, but its deck, made of wood during the battle, was concreted (as were the banks at this point); a thousand times unfortunately, it had been replaced by a bridge with a reinforced concrete and Corten steel arch, having nothing to do with the historic bridge that Bonaparte and Augereau knew ... The surrounding marshes have been dried for a long time, and all the land is now cultivated.

BASSANO (September 8, 1796)
                    Bassano del Grappa is a town in Veneto, at the foot of the Vicentine Pre-Alps, on the Brenta river.
                    The picturesque town of Bassano del Grappa is a popular holiday resort for the Venetians.

MONDOVI (April 21, 1796)
                    The battle of Mondovì begins in Ceva, then moves west as the Sardinians retreat under pressure from the French: San Michele Mondovì, then Vicoforte, finally the hilltop village of Mondovì, 25 kilometers to the is from Cuneo. This in a tormented relief.

RIVOLI (January 14 and 15, 1797)
                    Rivoli Veronese is a village in Veneto located east of Lake Garda, 25 kilometers north-north-west of Verona, on the right (west) bank of the Adige, in a mountainous area. The battlefield [unfortunately nowadays crossed by the Modena-Brenner motorway] is located north of the village, from the foothills of Monte Baldo to the banks of the Adige; some fighting also took place in the south, on Monte Pipolo.

MONTENOTTE, MILLESIMO, COSSERIA and DEGO (April 12 to 15, 1796)
                    The fighting, inaugurating the first Italian campaign, took place north-west of Savona, in Liguria, successively on April 12, 1796 in Montenotte Superiore, on April 13 in Millesimo and Cosseria, and finally on April 14 and 15 in Dego. The land is mountainous and heavily wooded.

MONTEBELLO (June 9, 1800)
                    Montebello della Battaglia is a Lombard town on the Po plain located thirty kilometers south of Pavia [Pavia] and sixty west of Plaisance [Piacenza].
                    The battle took place on either side of the west-east road leading from Tortona to Piacenza, below the village of Montebello and all around that of Casteggio, located one kilometer to the east. The fight also raged for the gain of the heights located to the south of the two villages, initially held by the Austrians. The latter, defeated, retreated to Voghera in the west.

MARENGO (June 14, 1800)
                    Spinetta Marengo is a Lombard commune located three kilometers south-east of the walled city of Alexandria [Alessandria]. Between the two flows (towards the northeast) the Bormida river, a tributary of the Tanaro, which itself flows into the Po. From Marengo, heading east, the road to Tortona, which successively crosses the village of San Giuliano Vecchio and the hamlet of Torre Garofoli. South of this road is Cascina Grossa; to the north, Castelceriolo.
                    This vast theater of operations is rigorously flat.

LODI (May 10, 1796)
                    The Lombard city of Lodi is located 40 kilometers south-east of Milan, on the right bank of the Adda, a tributary of the Po. In 1796, it was linked to the left bank by a large wooden bridge: an apron 12 meters wide, nearly two hundred meters long.
                    The Austrians, who held both banks, retreated to the left bank (to the northeast) shortly after the start of hostilities, counting on blowing up the bridge. The French, having become masters of the right bank (southwest), stormed the bridge and emerged on the left bank. The enemy was then forced to retreat without delay towards Crema, to the northeast. As a result, Beaumont, at the head of his riders, having found a ford further upstream to cross, arrived too late to attack the Austrian right flank.

CASTIGLIONE (August 5, 1796)
                    Castiglione delle Stiviere is a village about a dozen kilometers south of Lake Garda, on a road leading to Mantua. A few kilometers east of Castiglione are Solferino and San Cassiano, to the south-east Guidizzolo, to the south of Medole. It is in this quadrilateral, comprising in its western quadrant Monte Medolano (in fact a hill) and composed for the rest of the plain of Medole, that most of the fighting took place.

ELCHINGEN (October 14, 1805)
                    Elchingen [Oberelchingen] is a Bavarian village (bordering Baden-Württemberg) located 8 kilometers north-north-east of Ulm, on the banks of the Danube. Built on the hillside, it dominates a meadow, wooded in places, a few hectometers wide, which constitutes the left (north) bank of the river; a bridge [nowadays made of concrete] connects Elchingen to Nersingen, on the other side. Dominating the village, a Benedictine abbey, then a vast plateau extending north to the small town of Langenau and north-west to the villages of Göttingen and Albeck.

ECKMÜHL (April 22, 1809)
                    The village of Eggmühl [current spelling] is located twenty-six kilometers south-south-east of Ratisbonne [Regensburg], Bavaria. The fighting took place in an area of four to five kilometers around Eckmühl, then, during the Austrian retreat, on the road leading to Regensburg and on both sides of this one, to Alteglofsheim and Köfering.
                    The land, very hilly and wooded, is crossed by the Grosse Laber river.

HOHENLINDEN (December 3, 1800)
                    Hohenlinden is a village 34 kilometers east of Munich, Bavaria. The battlefield lies along the west-east road to Maitenbeth and Haag in Oberbayern, as well as north of it, between the Isen Valley to the east and the road to Erding at the west, in a moderately hilly but above all very wooded region.

WAGRAM (July 5 and 6, 1809)
                    The battlefield is located immediately north of Aspern-Essling, in the Marchfeld plain. It is limited to the west by the heights of Gerasdorf; to the north by a stream, the Russbach, whose bed forms a hollow one to two meters deep and whose north shore, after a narrow terrace, continues by an escarpment a few meters high: the Wagram plateau; to the east by the village of Glinzendorf.

ULM (17 octobre 1805)

ESSLING (ASPERN) (21 and 22 May 1809)
                    The Battle of Essling is called the Battle of Aspern by German speakers and Aspern-Essling by English speakers; the violent and murderous clashes took place in and around these two villages, north of the Danube (they are now part of the XXII district of Vienna), as well as in Gross-Enzersdorf, a little further to the east . The demographic and urban development make that unfortunately, at the beginning of the 21st century, it is very difficult for visitors to imagine themselves on the battlefield, and you have to move a few hectometers north of the Eßlinger Hauptstraße to find some fields remaining between residential areas.
                    There remains the island of Lobau, further south, between the Danube (nowadays channeled) and an arm of it, which will delight the Napoleonic hiker or cyclist. This area of ​​four kilometers by three, made of woods and swamps, crossed by roads and dirt tracks, has remained in a state close to that experienced by French soldiers, or Honoré de Balzac who visited it in 1835 The Austrians did well on the occasion of the commemoration of the centenary in 1909, since several stone monuments were erected in the places concerned by the preparations for the battle, or the retreat which followed it. The island is now classified, so we can be optimistic about the future.

HOLLABRUNN (November 16, 1805)
                    This battle, which saw the French of Murat pursue the Russians of Bagration by harassing them, took place along the road from Vienna to Znaïm [Znojmo]. It started north of the town of Hollabrunn, in Suttenbrunn, to continue, more and more towards the north, on a relatively flat ground offering few possibilities of shelter, except undulations running from west to east: in Schoengrabern, around the Nexenhof farm and the village of Grund then around Guntersdorf, where it ended.

AUSTERLITZ (December 2, 1805)
                    The battle of Austerlitz was fought over a very large area, east of Brunn [Brno], in southern Moravia. The combat area roughly has the shape of a point-down triangle whose base, to the north, is the Brno-Olomouc road, and the point, to the south, corresponds to the village of Satschann [Zatcany]. Between the center of the triangle and its right edge, the elongated Pratzen [Prace] plateau, oriented SW-NE, overhangs the rest of the area by about 80 meters, which is quite hilly.
                    Contemplating - if it is not raining - the sunrise above this plateau, for example from the Kobelnitz [Kobylnice] -Sokolnitz [Sokolnice] road, is certainly the ultimate in Napoleonic tourism!

PUŁTUSK (December 26, 1806)
                    Pułtusk [the barred l is pronounced like the w of Waterloo ...] is a market town in Mazovia, Poland, about 70 kilometers north of Warsaw, on the Narew River.

GOLYMIN (December 26, 1806)
                    Golymin is a village in Mazovia, Poland, about 80 kilometers north-west of Warsaw, west of Pułtusk.

EYLAU (February 8, 1807)
                    The Battle of Eylau was held in East Prussia, within a radius of ten kilometers around the town of Preußisch Eylau [now Bagrationovsk].
                    This territory remained Prussian, then German, until 1945. The outcome of World War II meant that it was seized by the Soviets, who shared it with Poland. All the German inhabitants were expelled from it, and replaced by Soviets (mainly Russians, but also Ukrainians and Belarusians ...) in the north and Poles in the south. The current border runs just south of Bagrationovsk, so the battlefield is mostly in Russian territory, with a few villages south of the field being in Poland.

FRIEDLAND (June 14, 1807)
                    Friedland [nowadays Pravdinsk] is a village in East Prussia, about thirty kilometers east of Preussisch Eylau [Bagrationovsk]. It suffered the same events as the latter (see above at "Eylau") during World War II, the same exodus of its multi-secular population, the same repopulation under the Stalinist era, becoming in the same way a Russian town in Kaliningrad Oblast.

AUERSTAEDT (October 14, 1806)
                    Auerstaedt is a village located some thirty kilometers north of Jena [Jena], a German town in northern Thuringia, where another Napoleonic victory took place on the same day. The battlefield, which is located to the north and east of the village, is moderately hilly and crossed by a stream, the Lissbach.

IÉNA (JENA) (October 14, 1806)
                    Jena is a city in northern Thuringia, in the Saale valley. The battlefield, which is located northwest of the city, is hilly (Dornberg hills in the center, Sperlingsberg in the west, Landgrafenberg in the south) and heavily wooded south of the Issestedt-Lützeroda-Closewitz line .

LA ROTHIÈRE (February 1, 1814)
                    La Rothière is a vast battlefield, south of that of Brienne-le-Château, mainly on the right bank of the Aube (with some Allied overflows on the left bank). It is a plain limited to the north by the road leading from Brienne-la-Vieille to Morvilliers, to the east by the woods and marshes of Soulaines, to the south by Eclance and the defile of Trannes, to the west by the Aube (which several bridges allow to cross: from north to south, at Brienne-la-Vieille, Dienville, Unienville, Juvanzé and Trannes). In the center: the village of La Rothière, on the road leading from Brienne to Bar-sur-Aube, flanked to the east by the hamlets of Petit-Mesnil and La Giberie and to the north-east by those of Chaumesnil and La Chaise.
                    The fierce fighting, which resulted in comparable losses on both camps, was followed by an orderly retreat of the French towards Brienne, in the north, then Lesmont or Rosnay-l'Hôpital.

BRIENNE (January 29, 1814)
                    Let us recall that Brienne, located 37 kilometers east-north-east of Troyes, is first of all the town which welcomed the young Bonaparte within his military school; also a visit to the small museum that the building houses nowadays will not fail to move the Napoleonic tourist ...
                    As for the battle of 1814, it was held in the castle and its terraces which dominate the city, and in the streets thereof; clashes also took place in the northeast of the city, in the woods of Maizières, and in the north, in Rances. The rather limited area of the battlefield resulted in numerous hand-to-hand fights, very violent, which resulted in Blücher failing to be captured and Napoleon being killed by a Cossack.

ARCIS-SUR-AUBE (20 and 21 March 1814)
                    The battlefield is located on the left bank of the Aube, therefore to the south of it. It extends in a semi-circle around Arcis: Villette to the west (on the road to Méry-sur-Seine), Nozay to the south-west and Mesnil-la-Comtesse to the south-east (on both sides on the other of the road to Troyes), Torcy-le-Grand and Torcy-le-Petit to the east (towards Brienne). The land is flat.
                    A single bridge, in Arcis itself, allows you to reach the right bank of the Aube. During the battle, a provisional bridge had been thrown over the river near Villette.

MONTEREAU (February 18, 1814)
                    and preliminary fights of Mormant and Villeneuve-le-Comte
                    The preliminary fights took place in the Brie plain, around Mormant, Grandpuits, then heading south to Valjouan, Villeneuve-le-Comte [now Villeneuve-les-Bordes] and Orvilliers.
                    The decisive battle set Montereau ablaze [nowadays Montereau-Fault-Yonne], a town located at the confluence of the Yonne and the Seine, and the suburbs overlooking it to the north: Surville (completely denatured in the 1960s and 1970s by the establishment of large complexes designed by architects whose names it is charitable to forget) and Villaron (which has become a small residential area: Les Ormeaux).

MONTMIRAIL-MARCHAIS (February 11, 1814)
                    The town of Montmirail is located at the crossroads of the NE-SW road connecting Château-Thierry to Troyes and the east-west road leading from Châlons -en-Champagne to Paris. It is on both sides of the latter, west of Montmirail, that the fighting was held, on the territory of the municipality of Marchais-en-Brie.

VAUCHAMPS (February 14, 1814)
                    The village of Vauchamps is located east of Montmirail, on the road that leads to Champaubert, Etoges and Châlons-en-Champagne.
                    The fighting took place in the very streets of Vauchamps, then in the woods of l'Echelle and Hautefeuille, to the north of the latter, finally in Serrechamps, Janvilliers and Fromentières, to the east-north-east.
                    The pursuit of the Prussians by the French will be as far as Champaubert and Etoges, even further east.

CHAMPAUBERT (February 10, 1814)
                    In 1814, the small village of Champaubert was an important strategic crossroads, at the crossroads of the east-west road Châlons-Montmirail-Meaux-Paris and the north-south road Reims-Epernay-Sézanne-Troyes.
                    The battlefield, moderately hilly, quite wooded in places, is located on either side of these two axes, within a radius of six kilometers around Champaubert: to the west to Fromentières, to the north to 'at La Caure, east to Etoges, south to Le Petit-Morin stream via Baye, south-west to Bannay and its surroundings.

CHATEAU-THIERRY (February 12, 1814)
                    Château-Thierry is a town on the banks of the Marne, on the road from Reims to Paris.
                    The fighting began ten kilometers south-south-east of the city, on the banks of the Dolloir (a tributary of the Marne), in the Viffort-Montfaucon-Les Caquerets area. The Prussians withdrew to the Nesles plateau, around which the confrontation was particularly tough. Once the plateau was conquered, the French chased the Prussians and the Russians all along the road leading to Château-Thierry, including in the suburb of Marne (an island between the river itself and an arm called Fausse-Marne). What remained of the allies managed to reach Château-Thierry, on the right bank, by the only bridge between the suburb and the city and destroyed the work immediately.

REIMS (March 13, 1814)
                    The violent fights, in which the "Marie-Louise" heroically participated, French conscripts of the 1814 and 1815 classes, took place on the left bank of the Vesle, which waters the city of Saint-Remi: first towards Rosnay, then on the heights of Tinqueux, around Mont-Saint-Pierre, and finally in the suburbs to the south-east of the city. The Emperor led the fighting from the top of the Sainte-Geneviève hill, still in Tinqueux. Nowadays, Mont Saint-Pierre is under the threat of a sprawling commercial area, and from the Sainte-Geneviève hill we have 2.5 hectares left with a public garden, sufficient however to give birth to the emotion to the memory. of the sacrifice of these young French people.

CRAONNE (March 7, 1814)
                    This battle took place on the Craonne plateau, about twenty kilometers south of Laon, on either side of the Chemin des Dames, around the Vauclair abbey and the Heurtebise farm. A century later even more deadly battles took place in the same places, the villages of Craonne and Ailles being, due to "progress" in artillery, wiped off the map and never rebuilt. This repetition of horrors and the memory of those who perished there ("Marie-Louise" from 1814 and "Poilus" from the Great War) make this plateau and the Chemin des Dames a particularly moving memorial place, as if it were beyond time. .

LAON (March 9 and 10, 1814)
                    The fortified town of Laon (pronunciation: "lan") is located on a hill elongated along an east-west axis, dominating by a hundred meters the Picardy plain to the north, and a hillier area to the south. It was then in the hands of the Prussian and Russian army under the orders of Blücher.
                    The fighting took place on the 9th at Semilly and Clacy, to the south-west of the town, at Leuilly, to the south, and on the Ardon ramp, at the foot of it. In the evening, Marmont drove the Prussians from Athies, to the east of Laon, but during the night the latter surprised the French there during the famous "hurray", chasing them in the surrounding plain and woods, then towards the south. east, until Festieux. On the 10th, it was again to Clacy and Ardon that the belligerents opposed each other violently.

LIGNY (June 16, 1815)
                    The village of Ligny, in Walloon Brabant, is located a dozen kilometers east of the Quatre-Bras crossroads, where Michel Ney faced the Duke of Wellington the same day. The battlefield, roughly triangular point down, is between the Chaussée de Nivelles in Namur to the north and the village of Fleurus to the south; it is moderately hilly and wooded and crossed by a meandering stream: the Ligne.

QUATRE BRAS (June 16, 1815)
                    The Quatre-Bras de Baisy-Thy is a strategic crossroads in Walloon Brabant, at the intersection of the Chaussée de Nivelles in Namur and that of Brussels in Charleroi. The fighting took place mainly on both sides of the latter, south of the crossroads; the land was more wooded at the time than today, forests offered by William I of the Netherlands to the Duke of Wellington after the victory of Waterloo (in particular the Bois de Bossu, in the heart of the fighting) having been slaughtered for profit; many hedges have also disappeared.

WAVRE (June 18 and 19, 1815)
                    Wavre is a small town in Brabant Wallon, on the Dyle, 27 km south-east of Brussels, and above all, historically speaking, 17 km east of the Waterloo battlefield. Most of the fighting took place in the city and on both banks of the Dyle, heading southwest to Bierges and Limal.

WATERLOO (June 18, 1815)
                    The Waterloo battlefield (which is mainly located in the town of Braine l'Alleud) is, to our knowledge, the only one that is protected, with perhaps that of the Pyramids of Giza, but for them it is not without no doubt for reasons of Napoleonic memory.
                    It has a roughly rectangular shape, on either side of the north-south Brussels-Charleroi road axis, with Mont-Saint-Jean to the north, Papelotte and Frichermont to the east, the Belle-Alliance and Plancenoit to the south. , the suburbs of Braine l'Alleud to the west. In the center: the Haie-Sainte farm, and a few hectometers to its southwest that of Hougoumont.
                    Contrary to the famous verse of Victor Hugo in L'Expiation, the terrain is not a "dull plain", but, as he describes it two lines further on, a "circus of woods, hills, valleys". These undulations were also important in the course of the battle (camouflage of troops in the hollows, difficulties in moving the artillery on muddy and slippery ground ...)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X