'The Bravest of the Brave'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Bravest of the Brave'...

During the plague lockdown I've been re-basing my collection of Napoleonic figures. I found some unpainted command and 'personality' figures I'd forgotten about. So senior occifers and wotnot have been painted up and made into small vignettes. My favourite being Marshal Ney conferring with a General of Hussars, Ney's bareheaded of course, so you can tell who he is!
    I've done a bit of reading up on him and found this interesting little snippet, how true it is, I have no idea...
    The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Marshal Lannes also had the 'title' of 'Bravest of the Brave'...that was given to him by General Desaix in Italy...

The officer to Ney's right is his ADC, Col Heymes...
    Last edited by Massena; 20 Jul 20, 17:47.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

damn interesting story... thanks.

Comment

From what I've read in almost every book about the Marshals, the lovely story of Ney reaching old age in America is just that, a romantic fairy tale. Despicable men, some who'd marched at his side but were not fit to polish his boots, voted for the death penalty at his trial. Even the fat Bourbon blob perched back on his throne, hearing of his execution whispered...

"Why, we gave him so many chances to get away?"

G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me--Execution_of_Marshall_Ney--1868--Sheffield.jpg
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

His statue is at the place where he was judicially murdered. I went to see it in the summer of 1994.

He was not the most talented of the marshals, and he definitely failed at Bautzen, but he was a brave and faithful soldier who did more than his assigned duty.

The Bourbons had insulted his wife at court which is probably why he went over to Napoleon in 1815. And if 'Louis the Unavoidable' wanted him to 'get away' all he had to do was say so.
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            His statue is at the place where he was judicially murdered. I went to see it in the summer of 1994.

He was not the most talented of the marshals, and he definitely failed at Bautzen, but he was a brave and faithful soldier who did more than his assigned duty.

The Bourbons had insulted his wife at court which is probably why he went over to Napoleon in 1815. And if 'Louis the Unavoidable' wanted him to 'get away' all he had to do was say so.
            Talking of statues, Picton's is being removed by the Lefty-Liberal, Welsh councellors in Cardiff...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53512384

Give it time and all our heroes will be gone...
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

There's a certain dog buried just up the road from me...
              his monument's gone too.

Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post

Talking of statues, Picton's is being removed by the Lefty-Liberal, Welsh councellors in Cardiff...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53512384

Give it time and all our heroes will be gone...
                If the 'heroes' in question are slave owners and child torturers, then good riddance .
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

If the 'heroes' in question are slave owners and child torturers, then good riddance .
                  You should 'judge' historical figures by the societal norms of their times, not the indignation of a vocal minority of the early 21st century with a self-righteous agenda.

Picton served his nation well and died in its defense. That deserves respect.

Comment

Bautzen, a battle that takes a bit of following to try and untangle.
                    Fanboys of the little man in the funny 'at put Ney right in the frame for scuppering His Nibs's plans. In my 'umble opinion Ney's imperial master should have got his finger out and issued clearer orders.
                    Echoes of what happened a tad over two years later, when Ney allegedly did it again, while his gaffer had scuttled from the field with bellyache!

Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

You should 'judge' historical figures by the societal norms of their times, not the indignation of a vocal minority of the early 21st century with a self-righteous agenda.
                      What tosh. He was convicted of torture, so the norms were there already.

And are you telling me that only a vocal minority of the early 21st century with a self-righteous agenda condemn slavery and torture? If you are, you are talking total gonads.
                      So did plenty of Nazi's but they don't deserve statues either.
                      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Well said M.
                        Makes me laugh when the 'vocal minority' warriors gang up and self righteously tear down an old lump of stone, thereby righting an ancient wrong. Then getting ten minutes on the gogglebox to lecture us about how we should feel guilty it was put there in the first place.
                        I'd have a bit more respect for these tosspots if they had the guts to march on the modern day slavers. Gangmasters using their 'slaves' to pick fruit or collect mussels on a north sea beach...
                        then again, unlike a lump of stone honouring a long dead hero, today's slave masters can fight back.

Is not lost in darkness
                        Over the fruitful earth
                        And athwart the seas
                        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          What tosh. He was convicted of torture,
                          Pot Noodle, I'll think you'll find he wasn't, actually.

Is not lost in darkness
                          Over the fruitful earth
                          And athwart the seas
                          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

<q>He was convicted of torture</q>

Who? Picton? Please show a credible source for that.

Comment

<q>So did plenty of Nazi's but they don't deserve statues either.</q>

The Nazis/Germans were guilty of mass murder, genocide, and the enslavement of entire countries, including their own. Please show, again with credible source material, that Picton was guilty of any of that.

And the German officer corps as a group sold their soul forever to dishonor and ignominy by taking the Hitler oath in 1935.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X