Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Battle of Paris'...

Kind of summing up of the book goes...

"Grouchy had all Prussian III Corps to contend with and was out numbered. As far as we can tell, the Emperor as he had done in Egypt, Russia and Hanau abandoned the army to its fate and ran to Paris to save the political situation. Soult was left with the task of finding out where the Armée du Nord had scattered to, getting reinforcements sent to the field, organising food, muskets, ammunition etc to re-equip what was of left."

I'm not a great fan of Pen and Sword books, but might have to give this one a go. I kind of like the author's take on Boneypart's previous for leaving his men in the lurch to further his own ends!
    The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Are you referring to the Battle for Paris 1815 by Paul Dawson?
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

That's the one my dear Marshal, some say it's a tad underwhelming. So might plump for borrowing it from the library when the plague ends.

Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

If I were you, I'd borrow it to read if you want to read it. I look skeptically at any title that has the word 'truth' or the words 'true story' or being characterized as an 'untold story' in it (and this 'story' isn't 'untold-it has been at least mentioned since 1964). Read it by all means as there isn't anything we should not read on the period, agree with it or not. But personally I wouldn't buy it for reasons that I won't mention here.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          But personally I wouldn't buy it for reasons that I won't mention here.
          Love it, no wonder this once great site is as dead as a dodo!

Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X