Eagles at Waterloo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles at Waterloo...

The two Froggy Eagles captured at Waterloo by the British Army are very well documented. It's also well documented that His Grace's Army, by and large spent the night on the battlefield, and took little part in the pursuit of the enemy. So my question is...

Wot 'appened to the rest of Boney's gilded chickens?

I'm not having it for a minute, that in the rout which saw Boney lose the Imperial Pisspot, resolute clumps of Frenchies stalwartly defended their Eagles agin the rampaging Prussians. Were they picked up, discarded in roadside ditches by triumphant Deaths Head Hussars, or meekly surrendered as scores of Frenchmen tried to jack it in?

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Perhaps they found their way onto those fancy clocks the French were so famous for back then?
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

The Belgians eh, ....took care of them

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33085031
      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

The French lost only two eagles at Waterloo and that was early in the action.

The Prussian pursuit harried stragglers and fugitives, and contrary to popular belief, the entire Armee du Nord did not dissolve into nothing but a mass of fugitives. Regiments retreating in the rout and mess usually formed a hard core of diehards around their eagles going south. Pelet, for example, in command of the two Old Guard battalions in Plancenoit, saved his eagle when they broke out and retreated. The 1st Grenadiers, for another example, retreated in excellent order as did the Grenadiers a Cheval.

The Prussian 'pursuit' gathered in no eagles.

For a reference see Les Aigles Imperiales 1804-1815 by General Jean Regnault which gives the eagles lost by campagne in addition to a summary in Annex 1, 281-284.

Comment

One thing I didn't think of...
          The Eagles could be detached from the flagpole thingy, much easier to conceal that way? I've often wondered if there's not a few Imperial Eagles still at large, hidden away and forgotten, by the likes of a Brigadier Gerrard, still awaiting their masters return?

Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

After Waterloo, the once-again-restored Bourbons went on a voracious eagle and tricolor hunt. They undoubtedly got most of them, but some escaped. In some regiments the flag was burned and the ashes were mixed with wine and drunk by the officers and men. Some officers to flag and/or eagle home and hid them. The officers of the 2d Foreign Regiment, Swiss who had fought at Ligny and Wavre, cut the flag up and distributed it among the survivors. Their colonel took the eagle and dropped it into the Garonne River.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
              After Waterloo, the once-again-restored Bourbons went on a voracious eagle and tricolor hunt.
              Loath as I am to say anything complimentary about that little bloke in the funny 'at, but...
              They never had the guts to hunt for 'em when His Nibs rode at their head!

Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Loath as I am to say anything complimentary about that little bloke in the funny 'at, but...
                They never had the guts to hunt for 'em when His Nibs rode at their head!

They were scared of him. That's why he was exiled twice.

And Napoleon did nothing to physically hurt the Bourbons when they ran for Belgium when he returned from Elba. That was not the case after Waterloo when royalists hunted down Napoleon's officers and judicially murdered two of them in show trials, one marshal was murdered in the south of France, others imprisoned or driven into exile.

Comment

Yep, living where I live it's not hard to have utter contempt for the French, though I try to conceal it as well as the next man, in our brave new pc world.
                  But I kind of grew up reading tales of derring-do and more than once asked my Dad whether Marshal Ney was really a Frenchie... I wanted him to be an Englishman!
                  When I grew up and learned how Ney's epic story ended, it did nothing to help my psychotic loathing for his countrymen.

Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                    Yep, living where I live it's not hard to have utter contempt for the French, though I try to conceal it as well as the next man, in our brave new pc world.
                    But I kind of grew up reading tales of derring-do and more than once asked my Dad whether Marshal Ney was really a Frenchie... I wanted him to be an Englishman!
                    When I grew up and learned how Ney's epic story ended, it did nothing to help my psychotic loathing for his countrymen.

Only the Bourbons and other royalists...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X