Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Scot's Grey at Waterloo: The Remarkable Story of Sergeant William Clarke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scot's Grey at Waterloo: The Remarkable Story of Sergeant William Clarke.

I never thought I'd say, "wot a load of crap", about a Napoleonic Wars book by Gareth Glover!
    Sadly, that's what this is. Trust me on this, you will emerge absolutely none the wiser as to what sergeant William Clarke experienced at the Battle of Waterloo, than what you are now...
    350 pages of boring drivel!

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Well, don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think!
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

It's called 'constructive criticism'!
      I'm trying this one next...

41NfSVVC4OL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
        I never thought I'd say, "wot a load of crap", about a Napoleonic Wars book by Gareth Glover!
        Sadly, that's what this is. Trust me on this, you will emerge absolutely none the wiser as to what sergeant William Clarke experienced at the Battle of Waterloo, than what you are now...
        350 pages of boring drivel!

All I know about the Scots Greys at Waterloo, is that the film apparently doesn't do them justice. They stomped all over a French infantry column, before being repulsed, which was not shown. Apparently, they neither had copper nails to spike the cannons either.

It should be noted that while my wife's family live around the Waterloo sites, and that I walk around the site of the battle once a year, my knowledge of the battle itself is minimal. Happy to be educated further .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

That part of the film's a tad daft, somehow 15,000 frenchies disappear from in front of the Greys as they charge straight into the enemy guns then get massacred in a hidden swamp by Lancers, magnificent hokum!.
          Here's a bit of 'education' about spiking guns. Boneypartists wax lyrical about the damage that could have been wreaked upon the Allied guns, if only one Curryasar had thought to bring a bag of headless nails, up His Grace's ridge.
          Well if said Curryasar had looked in the tool box of the gun he'd have found a bag of nails and a lump hammer for just that job, every gun had one so the gunners could spike their own piece in an emergency...

"For want of a nail the battle was lost!"

Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            It should be noted that while my wife's family live around the Waterloo sites, and that I walk around the site of the battle once a year, my knowledge of the battle itself is minimal.
            While the battlefield itself is nice, it doesn't really resemble the field as it looked in 1815...

For a more "enlightening" trip try retracing the route Grouchy and the Prussians took, over Waver and then try to get onto the "Waterloo" field from the east,

makes you appreciate the timely arrival of the one, and understand the belated appearance of the other…

you may want to take a bike though, it's quite a walk
            Last edited by Snowygerry; 18 Nov 19, 05:15.
            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

While the battlefield itself is nice, it doesn't really resemble the field as it looked in 1815...

For a more "enlightening" trip try retracing the route Grouchy and the Prussians took, over Waver and then try to get onto the "Waterloo" field from the east,

makes you appreciate the timely arrival of the one, and understand the belated appearance of the other…

you may want to take a bike though, it's quite a walk
              Something else to do once the kids have grown up .
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X