Commission Pendant/Pennant in 1805

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commission Pendant/Pennant in 1805

Okay, all you wise ones, I am seeking information on Royal Navy commissioning pennants. I have found that they consisted of a St. George's cross on the canton with a long colored strip on the fly, depending on which squadron the vessel was assigned to, or red, white, and blue stripes if not assigned to any particular squadron. Now, as close attention as other ships wold pay to a strange sail, and a lot of time to scan her from stem to stern for signs of nationality. it seems to me that the Commission Pennant would be a dead giveaway. I know that it was considered fair play to "amuse the enemy" by hoisting false national flags until just before you open fire(!), but what about the pennant? Did they haul that down, too? Admiralty regulation required that the pennant be kept flying all the time the ship is in commission. So, what is known about this? Amaze me with your knowledge of vexillology.
    Will no one tell me what she sings?--
    Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
    For old, unhappy, far-off things,
    And battles long ago:
    -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

I am not a wise one but merely a humble seeker of truth (who stereotypically will suddenly prove able to slay all opponents with a mere flick of an ingrowing toenail) but AFAIK the commissioning pennant was not flown all the time and in any case would need an exceptionally good telescope for the time to be able to make out before one was in cannon range
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X