Napoleonic Relic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleonic Relic

Have you a favourite relic of the Napoleonic era, be it HMS Victory, USS Constitution, some flag in your local museum, an item of weaponry or uniform that you have seen, any relic you would love to visit or see, or any battlefield of the time you would like to see.
    Last edited by Post Captain; 30 Nov 07, 10:28.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

My personal favorites after of course viewing the ' little Corporal's tomb' is any uniform or weaponry, manuscripts etc... i might see.

And thank GOD for Euro museums who display them...very little of that handy here in Texas....

b.

CV

Comment

In Portsmouth we are very fortunate to have HMS Victory and the Royal Naval museum full of relics of Nelson and the Royal Navy of the time. I would love to get the chance to visit Napoleon's tomb and visit the French museums that cover that period.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I'd like to see Napoleon's tomb and the Waterloo battlefield.
        Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
        If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

ya i kick my fricking self almost Daily because i sat damn near 2 years there (West Germany) and never went to Waterloo; and i had no gawdamn excuse except getting drunk in Brussels what 15 miles away?

some days im an idjit.

b.
          CV

Comment

:O

I still have to make it to Europe.

As a lover of sharp objects, I've always wanted to own replicas of the British light and heavy cavalry sabres. I've shot my dad's replica Springfield musket and I'd love to have a go at a Brown Bess or Charleville. Left a bruise on my shoulder though.
            TTFN

Comment

Left a bruise on my shoulder though.

Ill bet it did girl... i bet it did.....a 10gauge 'db' did it to me when i was 11. so i co-miserate wit ye.

b.
              CV

Comment

My dad kept telling me to lean into it, but I just pressed the trigger and it nearly knocked me over. I think it was a .69 caliber. Rifled musket with percussion cap. I have to take my hat off to the men who wielded these things.
                TTFN

Comment

Without any doubt, my own favourite site(s) are in Paris. Les Invalides and its surrounds are a must see. From the quiet, somber and reflective mood of St Louis des Invalides (aka The Soldiers Church) to the magnificence of the Dôme Church which holds Napoleon's Tomb, it is stunning. The tombs of his brothers Jerome, Joseph and his son, Napoleon II The king of Rome are also found there. As if that wasn't enough, the absolutley brilliant Musée de l'Armée is right next to it. The huge sections devoted to the Revolutionary, Napoleonic & Empire periods are just superb.

Comment

I agree with tbsfan, the Musée de L'Armée is simply amazing!
                    http://www.fusiliers.com/museedelarmee.html

I would like to visit the Musée de L'Empéri. Take a look: http://gustave.club.fr/Musee/Emperi/Emperi.htm
                    My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kendoka Girl View Post
                      :O

I still have to make it to Europe.

As a lover of sharp objects, I've always wanted to own replicas of the British light and heavy cavalry sabres. I've shot my dad's replica Springfield musket and I'd love to have a go at a Brown Bess or Charleville. Left a bruise on my shoulder though.
                      This is the right place for you.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords.htm

Enjoy.
                      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Zouave View Post
                        I agree with tbsfan, the Musée de L'Armée is simply amazing!
                        http://www.fusiliers.com/museedelarmee.html

I would like to visit the Musée de L'Empéri. Take a look: http://gustave.club.fr/Musee/Emperi/Emperi.htm
                        Great links, very fascinating, thanks Zouave.
                        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Indeed thanks brother.
                          b.
                          CV

Comment

Page of Napoleon's Fiction Goes on Sale

By ELIZABETH RYAN – 2 days ago

PARIS (AP) — A manuscript page from Napoleon Bonaparte's loosely autobiographical short novel about ill-fated love will go on sale in Paris on Sunday, an auction house said.

The page was recently identified by scholars at the Paris-based Fondation Napoleon as the first 26 lines of the final draft of Napoleon's 1795 "Clisson and Eugenie," the owner of the Osenat auction house said.

The three other earlier versions of Napoleon's first page belong to a library in Kornik, Poland. The story was not published in the legendary French emperor's lifetime.

The page up for sale was long believed to be part of a text that Napoleon wrote about a historical figure named Clisson, until Peter Hicks, a historian at the Fondation Napoleon, realized it was actually the beginning of his novel. The long-standing confusion was caused in part by Napoleon's sloppy handwriting, Hicks said.

The tale is about a young officer who befriends two sisters and falls in love with the more spiritual of the two. The story was loosely based on Napoleon's short-lived romance with Desiree Clary, the sister of his brother's wife.

The page has been part of a private French family collection since the 1950s. Before then, it belonged to Andre de Coppet, a financier who amassed a significant set of Napoleonic memorabilia in the early 20th century.

The manuscript is estimated at between $29,500 and $44,300, but is expected to sell for more than the base price, said Jean-Pierre Osenat, auctioneer at the Osenat auction house of the Fontainebleau outside Paris.

Napoleon enthusiasts from Australia, Russia, the U.S. and Europe are expected to bid, he said.

"Clisson and Eugenie" — only 22 pages in its original handwritten form — is the last piece of creative writing that Napoleon did before turning his literary attention to political matters, said Hicks, who helped publish the most complete text of the novel in September.

According to Hicks, the 26-year-old general was well-read and heavily influenced by the Enlightenment thinker Rousseau, whose ideas of the solitary poet and reverence for nature find their way into the romantic novel.

Napoleon was a gifted stylist whose political writing was greatly admired by many of his contemporaries — despite his notoriously poor spelling and barely legible handwriting, Hicks said.
                            Hosted by Google

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...uirrAD8T8KSMG0
                            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

A Very Unusual Relic

From the BBC news 2005.
                              A tooth believed to have belonged to Napoleon Bonaparte has sold for £11,000 ($19,000) at auction in Wiltshire.

The canine is thought to have been pulled in 1817 when he suffered from a mouth inflammation diagnosed as scurvy.

It was first passed by his physician Barry O'Meara to General Maceroni, aide de camp to the King of Naples.

The tooth has now passed to a private UK buyer. It is believed to have been extracted during Napoleon's exile after defeat at the Battle of Waterloo.

The hammer price was £11,000, so the Dominic Winter auction house in Swindon will also add on their premium to take the final sale price to nearly £13,000.

'Physical wreck'

It is believed the tooth was extracted during Napoleon's exile to the South Atlantic British island of St Helena, following his defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

"Historically, we know that Napoleon had toothache in 1816 and this was put down to a mouth inflammation diagnosed as scurvy," valuer Chris Albury said.

"By the time of his death in 1821, he was a physical wreck and his gums were soft and bled easily and his teeth were loose.

"In dental terms, this (the tooth) appears to be an upper right permanent canine of a male in his 40s.

"This would fit with Napoleon's profile at the time O'Meara knew him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/4425966.stm
                              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X