arme blanche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arme blanche

I hope nobody minds my intrusion here but I thought it would be the best forum for seeking an answer.

I've started a little bit of reading on cavalry tactics and there seems to be two schools of thought. At one end is the use as mounted infantry, At the other end, is the use as shock action with the "arme blanche". I've tried to google this term but with no luck.

What is meant by "arme blanche" and how does it apply to cavalry tactics?

As always, your comments are most appreciated.

I looked in "With Cannon, Musket and Sword", by Brent Nosworthy and there are several references to "Armes Blanche".

Apparently, it refers to the cold steel of a bayonet, lance, sabre or sword.
    The Lance was described as the "most murderous of all the armes blanches". (P. 297)
    Last edited by Cambronnne; 25 Nov 07, 08:23.
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Thank you Cambronnne, that certainly makes sense. I guess it was the direct translation to "white weapons" that initially threw me. After some thought, it makes sense as applies to cold steel.

Initially after posting I had second thoughts whether this was the appropriate forum or ACW's. The reason being I don't know if cavalry used as mounted infantry was a concept much put into practice during these times. By the time of ACW, it seemed to have been, Buford at Gettysburg comes to mind.

Comment

The closest translation to arme blanche is edged weapon.

Comment

French is not my first language, but how does 'naked steel' or 'cold steel' (thnx Canuckster) sound?
          3 bottles of champagne, 3 wenches and 20 miles on horseback; all in 3 hours!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
            Berlin.1945
            by casanova
            The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
            Yesterday, 23:41
          • casanova
            AW 169M
            by casanova
            The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
            Yesterday, 23:26
          • JBark
            What changed?
            by JBark
            There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
            Yesterday, 18:54
          Working...
          X