Napoleons Marshals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleons Marshals

Who would you consider the best, and give an example of their finest action.
    I left off the honorary Marshals, Kellerman, Moncey, Perignon, Serurier.
    I know we had a thread on this earlier, but i thought i would conduct a poll to see who would be considered Napoleon's best Marshal.
    Augereau
    0.00%
    Bernadotte
    4.76%
    Berthier
    0.00%
    Bessieres
    4.76%
    Brune
    0.00%
    Davout
    57.14%
    Gouvion St Cyr
    0.00%
    Grouchy
    0.00%
    Jourdan
    0.00%
    Lannes
    4.76%
    Lefebvre
    0.00%
    Macdonald
    0.00%
    Marmont
    0.00%
    Massena
    0.00%
    Mortier
    0.00%
    Murat
    0.00%
    Ney
    19.05%
    Oudinot
    0.00%
    Poniatowski
    4.76%
    Soult
    4.76%
    Suchet
    0.00%
    Victor
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Post Captain; 25 Nov 07, 02:34.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Davout

His finest action : battle of Auerstaedt

outnumbered more than 2-to-1 he destroyed the main body of Prussian army

This almost proved fatal for Davout, approaching from the east. For on the morrow, while Napoleon and the majority of the French fight here, Davout's III Corps alone will engage the bulk of the Prussian Army at Auerstadt.

In the early hours of October 14, 1806 Davout's III Corps of 29,000 men, in a thick morning fog, ran into the main Prussian army of some 63,000 men. The Prussians were trying to avoid contact with Davout and they were caught off guard when his forces appeared near Hassenhausen. Despite making repeated attacks the Prussians could not break Davout's lead division under Gudin. Once Davout's entire corps was on the field he counter attacked and routed the Prussian army.

This decisive victory, at first underestimated by Napoleon, owes him the honor of entering Berlin first on October 27, 1806, and the title of Duc D'Auerstaedt (Duke of Auerstadt) in 1808.

French losses included 6 generals, 27 field and 225 junior officers killed and wounded. Overall losses were never established but have been estimated at 7,000 killed, wounded and missing according to Davout.

Prussian losses included the Duke of Brunswick, GL Count von Schmettau, GM von Quitznow and von Greiffenberg, 7 field officers, and 36 junior officers were killed or died of their wounds. FM von Möllendorf, 5 generals, 34 field officers and 181 junior officers were wounded. Not counting battalion pieces, 57 guns were taken. Bodart quotes French figures for Prussian-Saxon casualties as 10,000 dead and wounded and 3,000 captured.

http://www.napoleonicminiatureswarga...auerstadt.html
    "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone".

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Comment

Marshal Ney, the nearest the frogs ever came to a proper fighting soldier... His Grace's finest couldn't nobble him, so what did his own do...

They shot 'im!
      Last edited by Von Richter; 24 Nov 07, 18:46.
      The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
        Marshal Ney, the nearest the frogs ever came to a proper fighting soldier... His Grace's finest couldn't nobble him, so what did his own do...

They shot 'im!
        Ney was a wonderfully inspiring leader, but not the best at independant command.
        There is a school of thought that he became a little "unhinged" after the retreat from Russia.
        Still, it is hard not to be impressed with Ney as a fighter.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

My favorite Marshal is Bessières. Not the best Marshal, but my favorite. As a commander, especially of cavalry, Bessières left a reputation excelled by very few, and his courage and cool judgment made him a safe leader in independent command. He was personally beloved to an extraordinary extent amongst his soldiers.

But the best Marshal was Davout ( the "Iron Marshal" ). Davout was the only Napoleonic Marshal never to have been defeated in battle. My second choice would be Lannes.

Dispatches, orders and reports from Davout.
          http://www.wtj.com/archives/davout
          Last edited by Zouave; 24 Nov 07, 21:38.
          My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Zouave View Post
            But the best Marshal was Davout ( the "Iron Marshal" ). Davout was the only Napoleonic Marshal never to have been defeated in battle. My second choice would be Lannes.

Dispatches, orders and reports from Davout.
            http://www.wtj.com/archives/davout
            I believe Lannes wasn't defeated either,
            Lannes was also Napoleon's favorite general
            "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone".

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Comment

Originally posted by Piccolo View Post
              Napolean wept and knelt down on the ground to embrace Lannes when he saw him on a stretcher after being wounded with the canonball that cost him his life days later. If it was not for Lannes actions, the French would have been driven into the Danube at the Battle of Aspern-Essling. I believe that was the first time Napoleon have been personally defeated.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                Napolean wept and knelt down on the ground to embrace Lannes when he saw him on a stretcher after being wounded with the canonball that cost him his life days later. If it was not for Lannes actions, the French would have been driven into the Danube at the Battle of Aspern-Essling. I believe that was the first time Napoleon have been personally defeated.

Lannes for the reason listed above. If Napoleon was so upset by his death, he must ahve been doing it right.
                Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

I voted for Davout, and cite his masterly performance at Auerstadt, 29,000 men of Davout's III corps against 63,000 Prussians, with 7,000 killed, wounded, or missing on the French side and 13,000 dead, wounded, or captured along with 115 lost Prussian guns on the opposing side, superb general.
                  Last edited by Post Captain; 25 Nov 07, 09:25.
                  Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

LN Davout...and if i have to explain why.... then you dont know the man...besides my pard Mike has done it for me already.

Very close behind him is LG Suchet and his greatness like Davout's was in his masterful application of tactics and administration; especially in Spain at Catalonia and during the French withdrawl of the Peninsula.

best
                    CV

Comment

Originally posted by Piccolo View Post
                      Lannes fought like a lion at Aspern-Essling and stopped the French from being driven into the Danube, but ultimately the French lost the battle.
                      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

As for physical courage no one could compare with Lannes even Ney. Yet i always have a soft spot for that old pillaging dog Augereau.

best
                        CV
                        Last edited by Centrix Vigilis; 25 Nov 07, 14:01.

Comment

Went with Davout. Soult was also quite good :

http://www.ifbt.co.uk/toulouse.htm

Comment

I voted for Davout, also, although honorable mention to Lannes, among others.

Comment

Davout got my vote, but #2 would be tough: Lannes? Suchet?

I looked at overall perfromance, not just great actions, so Ney didn't make the cut because of his post 1812 performances. Suchet was Late to the marshalate, and Lannes died early. Their combined career equals Davout's, so if Lannes had lived he could have been my #1 pick, or if Suchet had been around a few more victories he might have made #1.

BTW re Aspern, Davout wasn't even on the field, had his corps gotten over the bridge before it was destroyed/collapsed, Nappie would have won that battle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X