Napoleon's battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleon's battles

I have read he won more battles than Alexander Julius Cesar and Hannibal combined
    Do you know how many battles did Napoleon win ?
    "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone".

Pyrrhus of Epirus

I can't confirm this:

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question...1173341AA5depO

Napoleon fought almost exactly 57 battles in his lifetime from 1796 to 1815.

He won 52 of these battles.
    He lost 5 of these battles.

Ergo, he won 91% of his battles.

Comment

Well i have gone through The Napoleonic source book, and they state he won 50 battles, lost 6 and had 1 inconclusive, since 1796. From the first battle he won at Montenotte up to Ligny, his last victory.
      The 6 he lost were; Caldiero, 12 nov 1796: Acre (a siege) 18 mar-20 may 1799: Aspern-Essling, 21-22 may 1809: Leipzig, 16-19 oct 1813: Laon, 9-10 mar 1814: and Waterloo, 18 june 1815. The inconclusive battle was Znaim, 10 july 1809.
      Last edited by Post Captain; 06 Nov 07, 04:11.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
        Well i have gone through The Napoleonic source book, and they state he won 50 battles, lost 6 and had 1 inconclusive, since 1796. From the first battle he won at Montenotte up to Ligny, his last victory.
        The 6 he lost were; Caldiero, 12 nov 1796: Acre (a siege) 18 mar-20 may 1799: Aspern-Essling, 21-22 may 1809: Leipzig, 16-19 oct 1813: Laon, 9-10 mar 1814: and Waterloo, 18 june 1815. The inconclusive battle was Znaim, 10 july 1809.

Mike is on the money if ya read and believe Chandler as well.

Tho tbsfan's version is basicaly just as accurate as it boils down to acceptance of perspective and in some cases it revolves around fights during the retreat from Russia. But i'll sneak in a quick left jab for my favorite Marshal. LN Davout...who NEVER lost a fight he was in....

best on ya and glad to see another Nappy fan....

CV
        Last edited by Centrix Vigilis; 06 Nov 07, 07:02.

Comment

I'd have put Eylau as inconclusive as well.

Napoleon won more battles than Alexander, Julius Cesar and Hannibal combined but then I think he also lost more than them combined.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDC View Post
            I'd have put Eylau as inconclusive as well.

Napoleon won more battles than Alexander, Julius Cesar and Hannibal combined but then I think he also lost more than them combined.

As to the former...that's an interesting take and you would not be alone. OTOH mainstream Nappy lovers have admitted to the fact that according to the standard of the day, the little Corporal wins there as well, because he held the ground and the Russkies withdrew.

When on the other hand, we look at that epic fight from 20th-21st century standards; it, i can agree, was a tactical draw and gained him very little strategicaly. But good gawddamn' what a fight!!! My man LN Davout in a blizzard right in the thick of it in the nick of time...eh.

As to your latter point from a psuedo-philo, personal, perpsective; he lost an Empire. But then ultimately so did Hannibal to Scipio and Cesar in assanination....and big Al in his untimely demise.

Good post.

best
            CV

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
              As to the former...that's an interesting take and you would not be alone. OTOH mainstream Nappy lovers have admitted to the fact that according to the standard of the day, the little Corporal wins there as well, because he held the ground and the Russkies withdrew.
              I'm not sure about that, The Russians still held their ground when the battle ended although I grant you they didn't hang around for long after it had.

Comment

Just noticed a point of interest, based on the lists and stats given above.

Do you find it interesting that Napoleon won all of his battles in the two campaigns that ultimately cost him the Empire...

Russia

Peninsular

Any comments or ideas on this?

Gaz

Comment

Ya GAZ man that's a funny un eh?

Tough places for fighting, ie. terrain and weather etal. is part of it; and i couple his later mental fatigue and physical ailements in part as a possible additional reason. Not to mention crappy General officer leadership in Spain with some minor exceptions and slash and burn tactics against the populace....coupled with a thousand more reasons.

And of course the fact that Perfidious Albion wouldn't give the poor bastard a break and kept all his enemies in the fight financialy and morally...

damn limeys.

best on ya GAZ

CV

Comment

Originally posted by Piccolo View Post
                    I have read he won more battles than Alexander Julius Cesar and Hannibal combined
                    Do you know how many battles did Napoleon win ?
                    Enough to be still talked about 200 years later.
                    Kevin Kenneally
                    Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
                    Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                      Just noticed a point of interest, based on the lists and stats given above.

Do you find it interesting that Napoleon won all of his battles in the two campaigns that ultimately cost him the Empire...

Russia

Peninsular

Any comments or ideas on this?

Gaz
                      The only engagement Napoleon was personally involved with in the Peninsular was at Somosierra on 30 November 1808 against the Spanish, from there on the rest of the Peninsular was left to his Marshals and various generals. Then his attention was soon to be taken up by the Austrians both on the battlefield and the marital bed.
                      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Giving credit to the overall commander is a military way of life, but how many of his victories were resurrected by his subordinates at the last moment?

I use the Battle of Marengo in 1800 as an example as I wrote my Thesis on this topic. Without the timely arrival of Desaix, whether he marched to the sound of the guns or was recalled by Napoleon is trivial, Napoleon would have suffered a catstrophic defeat that would have cost him more than the battle but his share of the triumverate. At Jena-Auerstadt, Napoleon didnt even fight in the main battle which Davout handily won against a numerically superior force.

So are they victories of a great military mind or a great administrator who was surrounded by great people?
                        For those who have to fight for it; life has a flavor the protected will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
                          Mike is on the money if ya read and believe Chandler as well.

CV

What are Chandler's deficiencies? I'm not being snide, I just haven't heard the possibility that his work was in question.
                          Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                          If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Some of Chandler's deficiencies revolve around the available resources at the time he compiled his epic. Many Austrian and Russian sources were unavailable due to the Cold War.

Fred Kagan is publishing a three volume set that looks like it may challenge Chandler for supremacy in the lexicon of Napoleonic works.
                            For those who have to fight for it; life has a flavor the protected will never know.

Comment

I never quoted Chandler, that battle info was from Haythornthwaite's source book.
                              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X