Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Favourite Nap Pic

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith Rocco painted some good ones also

The Great Gate of Hougoumont

French Carabiniers and Russian Hussars at the Battle of Borodino

Charge of the Cuirassiers at Eylau

The Chasseurs of the Guard at Austerlitz, 1805

Comment

Boonierat, what are you doing reposting my paintings? Just kidding. Keep up the good work.
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

I feel I must add something from russian side :-)

IMO most impressive battle view is "Battle of Borodino" panoramic painting by Franz Roubaud
        Here is the link (sorry, it is too wide to be placed here)
        Unfortunately internet can't reproduce its impact - it is really huge - people are depicted in their real size or even more sometimes!

As for more modest (in size of course) paintings there are my favorites:

"Who will win?" by Victor Mazurovski

Certainly greatest russian battle painter Vasili Vereshchagin couldn't miss this period. I picked three of his works.

"Wait! Let' em come closer!" by Vasili Vereshchagin

"Napoleon Near Moscow, Waiting for a Boyar Deputation." by Vasili Vereshchagin

"Bayonets! Charge! Hurrah! Hurrah!" by Vasili Vereshchagin

"Cossacks pursue retreating Frenchmen" by Auguste-Joseph Desarnot. This one is interesting for me because the author depicted his own capture - you can see him laying in the foreground.

"Russian cuirassier in the European Campaign of 1813-1814" by Bogdan Villevalde
        Last edited by Rambow; 03 Oct 07, 23:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
          I wonder which, if any of this painters, ever saw any real action? Who were the war painters? Are there any known to us?
          Edouard Detaille served in the French Imperial Army in the Franco-Prussian War ( 1870-1871 ). He obtained a staff position at the start of the war which would provide him with an indelible experience to observe the hostilities of war first hand.

Ernest Meissonier was attached by Napoleon III to the Imperial staff and accompanied him on two occasions: during the Franco-Austrian War ( Italian campaign of 1859 ) and at the beginning of the Franco-Prussian War. During the siege of Paris ( September 19, 1870 - January 28, 1871 ) he was colonel of a regiment de marche, one of the improvised units thrown up in the chaos after the fall of the French Second Empire.

"Bataille de la Moscova ( Borodino )" by Louis François, Baron Lejeune. As aide-de-camp to Marshal Berthier, he took an active part during the Napoleonic Era, which he made the subjects of an important series of battle paintings.

Last edited by Zouave; 28 Mar 09, 19:15.
          My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Rambow, thank you for bringing the russian art into this discussion. This are some awsome paintings aswell.

Zouave, this is the kind of information that helps us put pictures into a context. Some of the paintings we love are just fiction work, meaning, that the artist never saw the frontline. This is why, I think, it's great to know which painters did actually see what they painted.
            There's a great book by Peter Burke, Eyewitnessing : The Uses of Images As Historical Evidence, that explains exactly how important this issues are.
            All warfare is based on deception.
            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Lots of good pics here!

Here's my addition.

I was looking for a pic to add that I can't find. It's of the French fighting their way across the Old Stone Bridge into Regensburg on their way to Austria. If anyone else finds it before I do, please post it!
              Attached Files
              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
              http://www.mormon.org
              http://www.sca.org
              http://www.scv.org/
              http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR
                BY AUGUSTE BALLIN

BATTLE OF AUSTERLITZ
                BY FRANCOIS GERARD
                Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Naval Art

Alright so they are some covers of the Aubrey/Maturan series but I still like them...

Matt
                  "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                  -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Some books have very great pictures on the cover, it helps sell the book i think.
                    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

"Hougoumont" by Robert Gibb.

The small Chateau of Hougoumont stood before the extreme right of the Allied position at Waterloo. Napoleon planned to draw Wellington's reserve to the Allied right flank in defence of Hougoumont and then attack through the centre left of the British and allies front near La Haye Sainte. The Duke of Wellington formed the view that the Chateau was the key to his flank and garrisoned it with the light companies of the Coldstream ( 2nd Foot Guards ) and 3rd Foot Guards ( Nassauers, Hanoverians, Brunswickers, KGL and British Guards held the woods around the Hougoumont Chateau ). Wellington had placed Lieutenant-Colonel James MacDonell of the Coldstream Guards in charge at Hougoumont, with the words "defend the post to the last extremity". This MacDonell certainly did and Hougoumont was not taken in nearly nine hours of continuous fighting.
                      The battle of Waterloo started with a furious attack upon Hougoumont. This first attack failed and it set a pattern for the rest of the day. The French next attacked to the west of the farm, where the open ground was held by the 3rd Foot Guards. They were overwhelmed and forced to retire through the North Gate pursued by the French. Hougoumont nearly fell when a determined attack by Sous-Lieutenant Legros - nicknamed "L'Enforceur" or "The Smasher" - wielding a huge sappers axe, managed to break through the gate ( see picture ). Despite trying to shut the gate, 30 Frenchmen forced their way through. Lieutenant-Colonel MacDonell called on three Coldstream officers to help him close the gate, they were joined by Cpl. James Graham and his brother Joseph, also a Corporal, and four men from the 3rd Foot Guards. Between them they managed to close the North Gate and secure it. All of the Frenchmen who entered, apart from a young drummer boy, were killed in a desperate hand to hand fight.

Hougoumont, at the end of the battle...

Last edited by Zouave; 28 Mar 09, 19:21.

Comment

112TH REGIMENT IN BRUSSELS, 1803-1804
                        BY KEITH ROCCO.

I particularly like Rocco's work ever since i saw it on "Waterloo-Napoleon's last battle" a PC game by Strategy first.
                        Last edited by Post Captain; 05 Oct 07, 10:32.
                        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Paintings by Mark Churms.

"Charge of the Union Brigade ( battle of Waterloo - 1815 )"

"Lasalle at the battle of Wagram - 1809"

"Le Guepier Espagnol, Spain 1808". Depicting French dragoons searching Spanish guerilhas during the Peninsular War.

Last edited by Zouave; 28 Mar 09, 19:39.

Comment

Napoleonic paintings by Horace Vernet.

"Battle of Jena, 1806". Depicting Napoleon reviewing the French Imperial Guard at the battle of Jena.

"Battle of Wagram, 1809"

Comment

Some of my favourite Gillray prints.

Charles James Fox in revolutionary dress
                              flogs William Pitt as the streets run with blood
                              and figures (Canning and Jenkinson)
                              hang from the street lamps.

(Published 20th October 1796)

A little Napoleon Bonaparte throws a tantrum after being unable to either defeat Britain, or bring her on side. - Printed in 1803

“The Plum Pudding in Danger,” coloured etching by James Gillray, 1805
                              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Alright. I'm kind of suprised that some of these weren't already posted.

Emperor of the French: Jacques-Louis Davis

Bonaparte Before the Sphinx: Jean-Leon Gerome

Napoleon Crossing the Alps: Jacques-Louis Davis

Napoleon on his Imperial Throne: Jean Auguste Dominique

Napoleon's retreat from Moscow: Adolph Northen

Napoleon retreating from Moscow: E. Meissonier

Last edited by Iron Brigade; 04 Nov 07, 10:57.
                                History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

Working...
                                X