Rare photos of Napoleon's veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare photos of Napoleon's veterans

These surviving Frenchmen are likely the earliest uniformed veterans ever caught on film ( these old soldiers were well in their 60s and 70s ). Click on the small pictures to enlarge.

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Univ...ans/index.html

My apologies if this link has already been posted.
    My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

I think its already been posted already, but worth mentioning again Zou

Can't beat the Hussar uniform

Comment

These remarkable photos provide the only surviving images of French veterans of the Grande Armée actually wearing their original uniforms and insignia.

1)
      2)

1)Sergeant Taria of the 1st Grenadiers a Pied ( Foot Grenadiers ) of the French Imperial Guard ( Old Guard ), 1809-1815.
      2)Monsieur Dreuse of the 2nd Lighthorse-Lancers ( Red Lancers ) of the French Imperial Guard, circa 1813-1814.

3) 4)

3)Monsieur Moret of the 2nd Hussar regiment ( light cavalry ), circa 1814-1815.
      4)Quartemaster Fabry of the 1st Hussars.
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

More veterans.

1)

2)

1)Monsieur Verlinde of the 2nd Regiment of Lighthorse-Lancers ( Red Lancers ) of the French Imperial Guard, 1815.
        2)The Mameluke of the Guard is Monsieur Ducel, 1813-1815. The squadron of Mamelukes was attached to the Regiment of Chasseurs a Cheval of Napoleon's Imperial Guard Cavalry.

3) 4)

3)Grenadier Burg of the French Imperial Guard, 1815.
        4)Monsieur Loria, who appears to have lost his right eye in battle, of the 24th Chasseurs a Cheval ( light cavalry ) and a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor.

Comment

Great photos Zouave.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
            I think its already been posted already, but worth mentioning again Zou

Can't beat the Hussar uniform

The Hussar uniform was really a work of art.

Comment

Fantastic!!!... Thanks for sharing..
              Don't just do it.... Over do it!!

Comment

Great find!
                Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
                Click Here for More Info

Comment

What happened to the colour? LOL!
                  Now on a more serious note, this are great pics and it's awsome to see this subject active.
                  All warfare is based on deception.
                  Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I'm impressed they fit into their old uniforms.
                    That in itself indicates the type of life they must have led.
                    Physical?
                    Healthier food?
                    No electronics or labor saving devices?
                    Since I was discharged, I expanded in every direction.
                    Thanks for the pictures, fellow historian.
                    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Excellent pictures Zouave, makes you wonder what life these men have lived afterwards? Were the campaigns with Napoleon the main movie and has the rest of their lives only been credit titles?

BTW:
                      Lots of cavalry and infantry here on these old photographs, while artillery and other services seem to be underrepresented.
                      Healthier life style? Perhaps. Since last year I started to visit these get togethers of veterans (I'm infantry/Grenadier Guards myself) and I noticed that somehow the manoeuvre/fighting arms (infantry and cavalry) seem to have these gatherings much more often than other arms and branches. Their turn-out seems to be higher too. Is it my imagination or has the bonding for these units been much stronger or is their perhaps another reason?
                      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Fantastic. Would make a most cool Haloween costume.
                        I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
                          Lots of cavalry and infantry here on these old photographs, while artillery and other services seem to be underrepresented.
                          Healthier life style? Perhaps. Since last year I started to visit these get togethers of veterans (I'm infantry/Grenadier Guards myself) and I noticed that somehow the manoeuvre/fighting arms (infantry and cavalry) seem to have these gatherings much more often than other arms and branches. Their turn-out seems to be higher too. Is it my imagination or has the bonding for these units been much stronger or is their perhaps another reason?
                          Maybe the artillery guys tend to suffer more from hearing loss? No point in getting together if nobody can hear anyone else!
                          "I am not an atomic playboy."
                          Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                            Fantastic. Would make a most cool Haloween costume.
                            Haloween costume? How dare you?

Comment

They are fantastic photos.

From the article:
                              The date of the event – May 5, – provides the reason why these men were in Paris for that was the anniversary of the death of Napoleon and every year on that date veterans gathered in the capital, as the Times of London in May 1855 noted: ‘The base and railings of the column of the Place Vendôme appear this day decked out with the annual offerings to the memory of the man whose statue adorns the summit. The display of garlands of immortelles, and other tributes of the kind, is greater than usual…the old soldiers of the Empire performed their usual homage yesterday at the same place.’ On the same day, a funeral service was held in the chapel of the Invalides attended by Prince Jerome and other dignitaries. The entire personnel of the Invalides as well as soldiers of the First Empire were present.

A more likely date however, is May 5, 1858, because all the veterans are wearing the Saint Helene medal which had been issued on August 12, 1857 to all veterans of the wars of the Revolution and the Empire.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X