Blunders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunders

What commander committed the worst blunder, was it Napoleon going to Egypt, was the continental system a big error, should Wellington have not gone for Madrid in 1812, i am sure the members on this forum will have a few ideas.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

I'm going to go with what may be an odd choice here:
    Napoleon allowing word to get out that he was going to sack Villeneuve!

Supposedly Villeneuve got wind of his dismissal and that is why he left Cadiz and fell into the lap of Nelson's fleet. End result: French navy destroyed and is no longer influential. Britannia continued to rule the waves.

Comment

My opinion is still Napoleon's breaking the treaty with Alexander and invading Russia. Perfect way to break the world's most powerful army and lose a war.
      Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
      Click Here for More Info

Comment

Napoleon.

"Never get involved in a land war in Asia."
        "I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by Consul View Post
          My opinion is still Napoleon's breaking the treaty with Alexander and invading Russia. Perfect way to break the world's most powerful army and lose a war.
          I have to agree.
          My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Although Russia was a huge mistake, invading Portugal was the beginning of the end.
            All warfare is based on deception.
            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X