Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterloo Improvements

http://waterlootours.co.uk/cwt/bial.htm
    Looks like the battlefield of waterloo is being improved, i suppose for the 200th anniversary in 2015, which i think that summer will be a popular destination.
    I wonder if Spain and Portugal are holding any anniversaries for the Peninsular war, i have not heard anything from the UK side.
    Last edited by Post Captain; 20 Sep 07, 11:14.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

I know the Oporto University is planing on some lectures. I also know that the city of Maia is also planing on celebrating the date.
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of small comemorations all around the country, haven't heard about anything big by the government though.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I find it interesting, considering the scope and intensity of the Napoleonic Wars, that there aren't more battlefield memorials and musuems. While we have a lot less history on this side of the Atlantic than you guys, our battlefields are national parks, studded with cannons, plaques, memorials, walking tours, and so forth. Maybe you all just have so much history that it would be impossible to remember it that way!

I sincerely hope one day to be able to get over to Europe and see some of those old battlefields. The thought of walking the fields of Waterloo brings chills to my spine.
      Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
      Click Here for More Info

Comment

I really do hope that the end result is a battlefield that is more visitor friendly.
        I visited it last year and would have enjoyed the opportunity to look around Huogomount and La Haye Sainte, and walk the filed itself.
        Since much of it is still working farmland visitors really cannot walk around the site very easily.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

One of the most remarkable tales to come out of the Battle of Waterloo concerns a discovery made by two British officers on the day after the battle. It was the body of a "strikingly beautiful" woman dressed in the uniform of a cuirassier officer. The location of her body confirmed that she must have charged with the French cavalry, but who she was and why she was there remains a mystery to this day.

came across this on the web, never heard of this before, has anyone else.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Never heard anything about it. Nice looking gall in deed. LOL!
            All warfare is based on deception.
            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
              One of the most remarkable tales to come out of the Battle of Waterloo concerns a discovery made by two British officers on the day after the battle. It was the body of a "strikingly beautiful" woman dressed in the uniform of a cuirassier officer. The location of her body confirmed that she must have charged with the French cavalry, but who she was and why she was there remains a mystery to this day.

came across this on the web, never heard of this before, has anyone else.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN
              Excellent find this trove of anecdotes. Wets the appetite for further study. Some anecdotes I heard of before. the requirement for entry into a French cavalry regiment, e.g. Not sure if such politically incorrect 'mores' still hold out in modern French society. What a loss to regimental tradition and local lore.
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

FINALLY i seem able to post again, so i'll honour this thread with my first for ages!

I've also visited the battlefield and those of Quatre Bras and Ligny too, and sad to say the modern world has encroached on them all. Worst was Quatre Bras and the missing Bossu woods (not sure when they were removed?).

Waterloo held a nice suprise in the shape of a rather shabby signpost which read...

'House de Goumont'

... and gave the true description of a rather important feature of the battlefield. Typically it seems even in Napoleonic times the anglizisation of foreign place names was just as common as it is today.

One feature i did notice was the effect of using a reverse slope, even in the shallow rolling countryside of the area. From a few hundred yards south of La Belle Alliance inn all thats visible beyond the 'north slope crestline' is the dark blur of the forest. It also highlights the fact that any retreat from the position northwards would have led to the probable destruction of the whole allied army, hence Wellingtons inference that the army would fight to the last man and ball.

regards

ASG

Comment

Here are some of the pics I took when I was there:

If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Great pictures.
                    If you have more can you please post some here:
                    Take Command:Horse and Musket Mod Forum
                    It's a forum for the Horse and Musket Mod for the Take Command series from MadMinute games.
                    I am attempting to make 3d models of buildings for any future Waterloo/Napoleonic maps.

Check out the thread in the Real-Time Games section for a preview of a Gemioncourt Farm model:
                    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...318#post780318

Any pictures of Napoleonic structures is appreciated.
                    I want to try and get them as historical as possible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X