This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Uniform

Who would you consider were the smartest looking troops of the Napoleonic wars? would it be the French Imperial guard grenadier, the Prussian garde du corps, the Russian lifeguards, the 95th rifles or the Polish lancers, or any other unit of that period. Don't forget they would have looked a bit different when on campaign.

Last edited by Post Captain; 19 Sep 07, 14:01.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Frankly, I was always impressed by the French cuirassiers and carabiniers. Sure, their breastplates and helmets were hopelessly outdated, but they were still incredible looking!

Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
    Click Here for More Info

Comment

My three favorite uniforms are:

The 2nd regiment of Lighthorse-Lancers of the French Imperial Guard, the famous Red Lancers.

French Carabiniers a cheval (Heavy Cavalry)

French Cuirassiers (Heavy Cavalry)

Last edited by Zouave; 17 Feb 11, 07:07.
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

I have to agree that those Red Lancers look pretty dashing.

I cannot thing of a favorite uniform.
        "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
        -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

As it happens, I like uniforms the same color I like my vehicles: White or Black. Something is really nice about a uniform that has a good cut and stands apart like that.

Austrian Grenadiers (I think that these particular ones, which I like, are in the Hungarian style though)

Prussian Hussars

I'm a big Hussar fan though, maybe the way Zouave has an affinity for his chosen type of soldier, I like the experienced and grisled look of the Hussar. Napoleon's Hussars didn't have as good a uniform but they looked pretty good too.
          Last edited by Swampwolf; 20 Sep 07, 01:25.

Comment

I'm also a fan of Hussars, Swampwolf.

"News from the front" by Mark Churms. Chasseur a cheval of Napoleon's Guard Cavalry ( left ) discusses the latest information on the French Army's progress during the Austrian campaign of 1809, brought to the town by a fellow captain of the 9th Hussars.

Study of a gunner of the French Guard Horse Artillery, by Keith Rocco.

Last edited by Zouave; 17 Feb 11, 06:52.
            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

My favorite uniform?
              Um mine....
              (See above)

After that, I think the cuirassier is the smartest looking one. Armor, though somewhat outdated was still impressive looking and useful.
              Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Zouave View Post
                I'm also a fan of Hussars, Swampwolf.

"News from the front" by Mark Churms. Chasseur a cheval of Napoleon's Guard Cavalry ( left ) discusses the latest information on the French Army's progress during the Austrian campaign of 1809, brought to the town by a fellow captain of the 9th Hussars.

Study of a gunner of the French Guard Horse Artillery, by Keith Rocco.

The coat slung over the left arm may have looked dashing but did they actually go into battle with it worn as such?

These are definately beautiful unifroms, I'm thinking about painting figures and most definately it will be Napoleonic but something I've always wondered as these unitorms must have been as cumbersome as all hell in battle. The hats alone must have been a nightmare, probably falling over the eyes at the most inappropriate times. Was there ever any consideration for less formal attire in consideration of more effective wear during battle? Or was esprit de corps the be-all and end-all?

Comment

Based solely on the pictures here I must say I think less is more. Therefore, I like the Scots Greys.

Comment

Zouave.

This looks to be the most comfortable:

Last edited by Salinator; 21 Sep 07, 00:50.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

The campaign uniform is different from the parade uniform

Important note: In my first post, I posted the parade and full uniforms of the Red Lancers.

Campaign or battle dress:

Trumpeters:

Last edited by Zouave; 17 Feb 11, 07:14.

Comment

Lot's of awsome paintings Zouave. Obrigado.
                        All warfare is based on deception.
                        Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Canuckster,

The coat slung over the left arm is called pelisse. The dolman and fur-edged pelisse were heavily braided parts of hussar's flamboyant outfit. The pelisse cost a little fortune ( the pelisse cost 216 francs and the whole uniform for infantrymen cost approx. 250 francs ). The pelisse was worn in several ways:

-On campaign: It was worn over the dolman when the weather was cold.
                          -On campaign: It was worn instead of the dolman.
                          -On parade, review, etc: Slung over the left shoulder.

But most often the fur-edged pelisse was left in depot, instead only the lighter dolman was worn. They became so damaged already during the first campaign ( 1805 ), that they were not taken by the rank and file. The cost of reparing the pelisse was high even for the Chasseurs a cheval ( light cavalry ) of the French Guard that only some officers could afford it. The Guard Chasseurs wore pelisses until 1805 campaign and at Austerlitz ( worn over dolmans ). During every next campaign only officers and some NCOs wore them.

This link will answer most of your questions.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/na..._uniforms.html

Comment

I much prefer the 95th rifles uniform, very smart when they are not on campaign.
                            Last edited by Post Captain; 21 Sep 07, 11:48.
                            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
                              Lot's of awsome paintings Zouave. Obrigado.
                              De nada, ou como dizem em Portugal, năo seja por isso.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X