Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have had a member send me this to enquire about the originality of this guards shako for sale on eBay. Any ideas?

British Waterloo Period Shako Enamel & Gilt Badge c1814 on eBay (end time 04-Sep-10 16:11:07 BST)
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

• Well, It certainly looks the part of an officers 1812 Belgic shako of the 2nd Foot Guards. If it is, and it can be authenticated to it being worn at waterloo, then the price of 2,250 is a snip.
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
        Oh Nooooo!

aaaggghhh!

Paul
        OK, I tried to brush it aside, but I can't and so I have this to say, Dibb/Paul

There's only a handful of good Napoleonic pictures out there and Osprey's are among the most consistent in terms of quality. I wouldn't whine at all if some genius uploaded 10,000 quality Edouard Detailles on this forum.

No offence, but I hope you'll appreciate people like us who consistently upload quality pics are dedicating our time and effort for your enjoyment...It's not that I don't have a good sense of humour, but to pull off blunt jokes like this is frankly *ahem* not very funny.
        Last edited by Marcarl; 14 Aug 10, 06:31.
        馬兒不死,吾無葬地也 ~ 曹操

Comment

• Marcarl,

Little advice, go back through this entire thread as well
          as Favorite Pics and see who has the most quality pictures and
          uniforms posted, then rethink what you have wrote here. Your not
          the only one posting quality pics here.
          Last edited by General Brock; 14 Aug 10, 22:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Brock View Post
            Marcarl,

Little advice, go back through this entire thread as well
            as Favorite Pics and see who has the most quality pictures and
            uniforms posted, then rethink what you have wrote here. Your not
            the only one posting quality pics here.
            Dear General Brock

1. Please don't be offended by what I'm about to say

2. I have, believe it or not, checked out every single page of those two threads. I've been following this website closely since 2007 and have went through the entire Fav Nap Pic as well as Best Uniform threads before joining- for I collect Napoleonic pictures!

3. And do you want to know why I joined? Because I realised the rate of quality pictures being uploaded are getting slower, and I want to make my collection public as well as to make a difference. I currently still have close to 300 pics to upload if only I have access to my hard-drive.

So it is with confidence that I hereby say to you:

Thank you for the little advice but, frankly, I've already considered my position before making that comment to Dibb/Paul. For I have checked out EVERY SINGLE PAGE OF THESE TWO THREADS.

P.S. That comment to Dibb/Paul was not meant to be offensive. I've made it very clear-
            Originally posted by Marcarl View Post
            No offence, but I hope you'll appreciate people like us who consistently upload quality pics are dedicating our time and effort for your enjoyment.
            4. And do you want to know why I wrote that? Because it is a little disheartening to read what Dibb/Paul wrote to Ewpeyia. Even though it was meant to be a joke.
            Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
            Oh Nooooo!

aaaggghhh!

Paul
            Notice I said "dishearteniing" and not "offensive". It's not offensive yet, but it's definitely not funny is it? Especially for Ewpeyia who I imagine would have to go through the library, pull out the right books, get the right scanner, then crop and upload image for all to enjoy.
            And of course, you've seen Ewpeyia's immediate response, didn't you? The joke wasn't very funny....

5. Oh, and by the way, I never laid claim that I am the only one uploading good quality pic, my friend.

Originally posted by Marcarl View Post
            No offence, but I hope you'll appreciate people like us who consistently upload quality pics are dedicating our time and effort for your enjoyment.
            Notice I use words like us and our instead of me and my?

I hope this comprehensive explanation is enough for you to understand the context in which I made the decision to make that comment to Dibb/Paul. I hope I didn't offend you or Dibb/Paul in any way, did I? I tried not to. I'm just being honest here.

With regards

MC
            Last edited by Marcarl; 14 Aug 10, 23:55.
            馬兒不死,吾無葬地也 ~ 曹操

Comment

• Please be assured that I had sent a rep with a kindly
              message to ewpeyia soon after he threatened not to post any
              more pictures.
              Did you see this and if so why would you again reissue
              something that has been solved, unless its bothering you which
              it should not as Ewpeyia and Dibby have resolved it.

but to pull off blunt jokes like this is frankly *ahem* not
              very funny.
              Welcome to ACG maybe you should take a trip down to the
              barracks and learn that this is exactly how this site is. I will also
              tell you that this was mild compared to what I have seen and
              been handed so get use to it. Just to also inform you a moderator
              has spoken and said get back on topic, so lets do so.

but I hope you'll appreciate people like us who
              consistently upload quality pics are dedicating our time and
              effort for your enjoyment
              Thank you
              is that better
              Last edited by General Brock; 15 Aug 10, 00:11.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Brock View Post
                Did you see this and if so why would you again reissue
                something that has been solved, unless its bothering you which
                it should not as Ewpeyia and Dibby have resolved it.
                Before I bury this topic, I'd like to say that: No, I didn't see this message, and I don't think it was on this thread. That's why I raised this issue.
                馬兒不死,吾無葬地也 ~ 曹操

Comment

• Ok fair, now let it go like the Moderator has already said and back to
                  the topic. Also this may interest you to know what it is like around
                  here.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=95009

aIso I do enjoy your pics but some of you take things to
                  serious way to serious, we don't.
                  Last edited by General Brock; 15 Aug 10, 01:05.

Comment

Oi! Less of the big fish ( ) 'more of a duck really as your post is like the water that fails to wet my feathers. Please be assured that I had sent a rep with a kindly message to ewpeyia soon after he threatened not to post any more pictures.

I have no axe to grind with most off shore Irish people and be assured that I will see you as someone with your own Englishman/people issues that you really should get seen to by your trick cyclist.

Oh! by the way, If you need any help with uniform details like many others have on this forum, I will be only too happy to use my time to download them from my printer, onto photobucket, then onto this forum for you to download onto your computer at the cost of only a mousemove and a few clicks from yourself. Though please be aware that 'contrary to popular belief' I do not have all of the answers.

Paul
                    Here is the quote were it was stated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Post Captain View Post
                      I have had a member send me this to enquire about the originality of this guards shako for sale on eBay. Any ideas?

British Waterloo Period Shako Enamel & Gilt Badge c1814 on eBay (end time 04-Sep-10 16:11:07 BST)
                      That's a nice hat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcarl View Post
                        Before I bury this topic, I'd like to say that: No, I didn't see this message, and I don't think it was on this thread. That's why I raised this issue.
                        Appreciate you and everyone else posting their pictures. Let's move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcarl View Post
                          OK, I tried to brush it aside, but I can't and so I have this to say, Dibb/Paul

There's only a handful of good Napoleonic pictures out there and Osprey's are among the most consistent in terms of quality. I wouldn't whine at all if some genius uploaded 10,000 quality Edouard Detailles on this forum.

No offence, but I hope you'll appreciate people like us who consistently upload quality pics are dedicating our time and effort for your enjoyment...It's not that I don't have a good sense of humour, but to pull off blunt jokes like this is frankly *ahem* not very funny.
                          To be frank with you, I do not enjoy the look of your remastered masters. Cleaning up foxing, tears, finger marks etc is one thing, defusing the body of the picture is another, but if others like your work then I say "enjoy" but please don't assume that your posts are for my enjoyment.

You say that you have read all the posts funny how when GB points just one example to you, you seem to have overlooked it...

And I will say the same to you; If you need help with anything, at any time
                          and I can help, I would be only too happy to oblige.

I will say no more on this except, General Brock has ably stepped in to my defence and is most appreciated by me. I hope that if he has need of support, that I will be as effective as he has been.

G.B, A friend indeed

Paul
                          Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 15 Aug 10, 03:42.
                          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                          All human ills he can subdue,
                          Or with a bauble or medal
                          Can win mans heart for you;
                          And many a blessing know to stew
                          To make a megloamaniac bright;
                          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• I appreciate the help that you have given me Paul and the many
                            discussions you I have had. you have my Respect and Gratitude
                            thou we may not always agree I think that as gentlemen we can
                            always come to a compromise and have done so in the past. As
                            you say in England 'Cheers.'

Comment

To be frank with you, I do not enjoy the look of your remastered masters. Cleaning up foxing, tears, finger marks etc is one thing, defusing the body of the picture is another, but if others like your work then I say "enjoy" but please don't assume that your posts are for my enjoyment.

You say that you have read all the posts funny how when GB points just one example to you, you seem to have overlooked it...
                              Well, when you have over 1,400 replies to go through in one thread is it really so incomprehensible to overlook something?

And it's fine if you don't enjoy my work. I never tried to please everyone. Just turn a blind eye to my posts! You're English, bring out the Nelson within you~
                              Last edited by Marcarl; 15 Aug 10, 04:20.
                              馬兒不死,吾無葬地也 ~ 曹操

Comment

• Actually, I am retiring from Armchairgeneral indefinitely.... Signing off.
                                Last edited by Marcarl; 15 Aug 10, 05:42.
                                馬兒不死,吾無葬地也 ~ 曹操

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X