Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Uniform

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The barrel sash (It should be an all red sash and corded) on the officer, and green neck stocks are also suspect.

    Here is a classic Mike Chappell reconstruction of the state of Lt. George Simmonds' campaign Uniform during the Peninsular war 1810-11 (the left illustration), and (the one on the right) a reconstruction from a sketch that was taken in life of Capt E. Kent.



    Paul
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 08 May 10, 14:47.
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

    Comment


    • And here is a 1799 uniform example of an O/R of the 5th Battalion, 60th foot (The Jaggers)



      Paul
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 08 May 10, 14:42.
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

      Comment


      • Is there anyone has complete collection of detail view of Napoleon's Army by Andre Jouineau? from Regular Army and the Guards?

        Comment


        • I'm workin' on French uniform and so far I've just finish this one ...



          Comment


          • nice work

            Comment


            • To continue the topic of the 60th Rifles

              I dug out these Bob Marrion pictures of the founding units of the 60th


              Lowensteins Regiment - Fusilier (left) Chasseur (right) 1796


              York Rangers, 1796


              Hompesch's Chasseur, (or Fusilier) 1797


              Hompesch's Fusilier, 1797


              6/60th Rifles 1799


              5/60th Rifles (Royal Americans) Officer 1797

              Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

              Comment


              • And here is a nice Peninsular campaign worn veteran, picture by the Late, great and sorely missed, Rick Scollins, who died at the young age of 46 in 1992 (Is it really that long ago!)



                I like his works because he showed his subjects in raw, campaign beaten uniforms, not parade grade neatness.








                Batt coy 45th (Nottinghamshire) 1811. Batt coy,14th (Bedfordshire)(Buckinghamshire from 1809). 1794. Light inf, 43rd (Monmouthshire). Capt: Gren coy. 28th (North Gloucestershire) 1814.
                Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 25 May 10, 04:57.
                ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                All human ills he can subdue,
                Or with a bauble or medal
                Can win mans heart for you;
                And many a blessing know to stew
                To make a megloamaniac bright;
                Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                The Pixie is a little shite.

                Comment



                • Russian Private, Mohilev Musketeer Regt, 1812


                  Don Cossack of the Guard, 1812




                  Officer, 54eme de Ligne, 1809


                  Fusilier, 86me de Ligne, 1812


                  Chasseur, 2e Chasseurs a Pied de la Garde, 1815


                  Voltigeur of the line, 1812

                  Paul
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                    And here is a nice Peninsular campaign worn veteran, picture by the Late, great and sorely missed, Rick Scollins, who died at the young age of 46 in 1992 (Is it really that long ago!)



                    I like his works because he showed his subjects in raw, campaign beaten uniforms, not parade grade neatness.








                    Batt coy 45th (Nottinghamshire) 1811. Batt coy,14th (Bedfordshire)(Buckinghamshire from 1809). 1794. Light inf, 43rd (Monmouthshire). Capt: Gren coy. 28th (North Gloucestershire) 1814.

                    Dids, I didn't know that about Rick, how sad.
                    Christ, I remember some of his first illustrations hitting Military Modelling like a bolt from the blue! Remember that one he did of British Infantry standing fast at Albuera?

                    The long toll of the brave
                    Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                    Unquenchable forever.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Von Richter View Post



                      Dibs, I didn't know that about Rick, how sad.
                      Christ, I remember some of his first illustrations hitting Military Modelling like a bolt from the blue! Remember that one he did of British Infantry standing fast at Albuera?

                      Rick died of a Congenital heard defect

                      This is what Osprey say on their site

                      Rick Scollins was one of the most popular artists ever to work for Osprey. He was born in 1946 and pursued a career as an artist after four years at art college and a postgraduate teaching course at Cardiff. Rick quickly developed a distinct style and, despite being a pacifist, he gained a feel for military subjects. His artwork was always realistic and is highly sought after by collectors. Rick Scollins died in December 1992.
                      And this link, again from the Osprey site.

                      http://www.ospreypublishing.com/blog/Rick_Scollins/

                      Yes I too had at one time subscribed to Military Modelling, (from 1972 to 2008.) His illustrations accompanying famous battle or uniform topics were legendary, especially his medieval battle scenes, which showed the raw hate, filth, blood, desperation, exhaustion, elation, and weather conditions in all its glory; he painted a realism and atmosphere that you just don't see in illustrations these days.

                      IIRC, The Albuera scene was of the Diehards clustered around their colour

                      Paul
                      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 25 May 10, 18:02.
                      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                      All human ills he can subdue,
                      Or with a bauble or medal
                      Can win mans heart for you;
                      And many a blessing know to stew
                      To make a megloamaniac bright;
                      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                      The Pixie is a little shite.

                      Comment


                      • Frederickson: Men are dirty, Mr. Sharpe. Rifles are clean!
                        IN.HOC.SIGNO.VINCUS
                        http://mattyd.com

                        Comment


                        • I didn't know about his death neither...and so young, it's a pity Such a talented artist with recognizable style! It's something special and unique.
                          I did some artwork inspired by his style like a year ago, if I only knew...ohwell.
                          Qui a composé la chanson ?
                          C'est un tambour du bataillon.
                          Un soir d‘été, en battant la retraite,
                          Pensant à sa mie, que toujours il regrette.

                          ...

                          Comment


                          • I would welcome any more Scollins. Are there any collected works of his?

                            I am also looking for any plates by Eugene Leliepvre - any period, but Napoleonic ideal.

                            Thanks for all the input on this thread - remarkable!

                            Comment


                            • Hello everybody,

                              I've been reading this forum and particulary this thread with much interest. I'm new here and it's amazing to see all these collections of different uniforms. I'm trying to find some uniforms of a battle in 1799 in Holland (the batavian republic under french command at that time) for a painting I'd like to make. Anglo-Russian troops invaded the republic to restore the prince of orange as regent of holland. After a few weeks of hard battle the french and dutch army pushed the invaders back. I already collected a lot of information, but it's hard to find pictures of the right uniforms. I've got some, but with few details. I'll try to post them, as soon as I figured out how to. If anybody got some I would be delighted!

                              thanks!

                              p.s. for me the french hussars had the best uniforms by far
                              Last edited by RNK11; 28 May 10, 10:07.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by RNK11 View Post
                                Hello everybody,

                                I've been reading this forum and particulary this thread with much interest. I'm new here and it's amazing to see all these collections of different uniforms. I'm trying to find some uniforms of a battle in 1799 in Holland (the batavian republic under french command at that time) for a painting I'd like to make. Anglo-Russian troops invaded the republic to restore the prince of orange as regent of holland. After a few weeks of hard battle the french and dutch army pushed the invaders back. I already collected a lot of information, but it's hard to find pictures of the right uniforms. I've got some, but with few details. I'll try to post them, as soon as I figured out how to. If anybody got some I would be delighted!

                                thanks!

                                p.s. for me the french hussars had the best uniforms by far
                                Hope this is what you were looking for RNK : Bataafsche Republiek rond 1800... enjoy





                                Attached Files
                                ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

                                regards:
                                Henk

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X