This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Iron Duke.

That uniform looks familiar but I couldn't place it. I'll have a look at my Saxon pics.
    Cheers!
    Larry

My Wargaming Blog:
    http://thelongleadline.blogspot.com/

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

• Originally posted by Correus View Post
      Thanks Iron Duke.

That uniform looks familiar but I couldn't place it. I'll have a look at my Saxon pics.
      Yes they are from the Saxon Husaren regt. here is another picture of them

Last edited by General Brock; 23 Jan 14, 22:31.

Comment

• Excellent!!! I'm planning on building a Saxon 28mm wargames army.
        Cheers!
        Larry

My Wargaming Blog:
        http://thelongleadline.blogspot.com/

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

• ADC of Poniatovski

Comment

• British Infantry, which regiment? The Buffs? Facings look similar

Comment

• Captain, Elite Company, 4th Regiment of Hussars

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by the Iron Duke View Post

British Infantry, which regiment? The Buffs? Facings look similar
                  The private and the officer in the long tailed coatee and bicorn hat on the right, is of the 27th ‘Inniskilling’ Regiment.

The middle officer is probably of the 3rd Foot, who had Silver buttons in pairs.

Paul
                  Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 25 Mar 10, 06:31.
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                    QUOTE=the Iron Duke;1449045]
                    British Infantry, which regiment? The Buffs? Facings look similar
                    The private and the officer in the long tailed coatee and bicorn hat on the right, is of the 27th ‘Inniskilling’ Regiment.

The middle officer is probably of the 3rd Foot, who had Silver buttons in pairs.

Paul [/QUOTE]

Many thanks. At least I was partly right when I was thinking about the 3rd Foot, called the Buffs.

Comment

Many thanks. At least I was partly right when I was thinking about the 3rd Foot, called the Buffs.
                      I am glad to be of help, and yes, the 3rd Regiment of Foot, were indeed called the Buffs.

Paul
                      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 25 Mar 10, 06:40.
                      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                      All human ills he can subdue,
                      Or with a bauble or medal
                      Can win mans heart for you;
                      And many a blessing know to stew
                      To make a megloamaniac bright;
                      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Coming in from waaaay out in left field, how about this:

A chap called Kala, the orderly of James Fraser, the second in command of Skinners Horse in the uniform of that regiment circa 1815. It is part of a pair, the one that goes with it is below however I particularly love the very 'British India' colour scheme and the way the chap remains very much the Indian warrior despite wearing the garb of the British army.

Below is Kala with sabre drawn after killing a tiger that attacked Fraser:

http://davidssamling.dk/assets/480/2...-i-uniform.jpg

Pardon the link but the picture is huge and distorted the entire tread.
                        Last edited by Balloonatic; 26 Mar 10, 04:40.
                        "Little pigs, little pigs, I've come to nick your tele!"

Comment

• From Left to Right: 95th Rifles, Hussar, Light Dragoon, Musician of a Highland Regiment, Dragoon, Light Infantry, Highlander, Infantery Officer, Hussar Officer, General, Offizier of Light Dragoons, Offizier of Dragoons

Comment

From Left to Right: 95th Rifles, Hussar, Light Dragoon, Musician of a Highland Regiment, Dragoon, Light Infantry, Highlander, Infantery Officer, Hussar Officer, General, Offizier of Light Dragoons, Offizier of Dragoons
                            I find it genuinely interesting how different the masculine ideal was 200 years ago. This looks by the drawing style, to be a period print. The figures, and the faces in particular would be considered very effeminate, even later on in the 19th Century. Most of our favourite painters and illustrators are from the Victorian era. The cut of Napoleonic tunics is very round shouldered compared even to Second Empire examples. Many contemporary illustrators miss this I feel.

Comment

• I was thinking the same thing the other day, it might be accounted for by the fact that people were smaller. That said, military prints tend to emphasise small feet and tight trousers even today. Some of the ones in our mess are very effeminate which always struck me as odd. Of course the British army is so mired in tradition and trying to make things look old that it could just be that.
                              "Little pigs, little pigs, I've come to nick your tele!"

Comment

• The picture of the British army is by Duplessi-Bertaux and comes from the Anne SK Brown collection. Two more similar pieces about the Prussian and Russian Army are also part of this series.

Prussian

Kürassier, Schütze, Gardevolontär-Kosak, Dragoner, Leibhusar, Gardevolontär-Kosak, Kürassier, Landwehr, Freiwilliger Jäger;
                                Offizier der Leibhusaren, Husarenoffizier, Kürassieroffizier, Offizier der Schützen, Offizier der Gardevolontär-Kosaken, Landwehroffizier
                                Last edited by the Iron Duke; 27 Mar 10, 06:52.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X