Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not talking about Guard regiments, but the specific Garde du Corps, which in case of the Dutch one was always around the King and didn't fight. It was an honour to serve in them, of course, and the men were veterans, but they were not battle-field units, unlike the Guard cavalry (Hussars and Cuirassiers) and Guard Grenadiers of the King.

This unit consisted of about sixty men in total, if I'm not mistaken (Which, to be honest, I very well might be). This is, by the way, their parade uniform. Their normal service uniform apparently was a entirely black hussar uniform.

Comment

• The reason I asked was that both the Saxon and Wurttemberg Garde du Corps units went into the field with the army and were combat troops.

Sincerely,
      M
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• I would say they are all equal had different varying styles. But I would lean to the french. The French uniforms were higly expensive I would go with the French Guards., they had all different kinds of uniforms such as:

- campaign uniform
        - march uniform
        - field uniform
        - service dress
        - quarters dress
        - stable dress
        - society dress
        - walking out dress
        - parade uniform

different styles:
        Weimar Sharpshooter

Bavarian 7th Light Infantry Battalion

Swedish officer

French Guard

"With foxes we must play the fox."
        -Thomas Fuller

Comment

• Originally posted by Casper_Viccc View Post
          I'm not talking about Guard regiments, but the specific Garde du Corps, which in case of the Dutch one was always around the King and didn't fight. It was an honour to serve in them, of course, and the men were veterans, but they were not battle-field units, unlike the Guard cavalry (Hussars and Cuirassiers) and Guard Grenadiers of the King.

This unit consisted of about sixty men in total, if I'm not mistaken (Which, to be honest, I very well might be). This is, by the way, their parade uniform. Their normal service uniform apparently was a entirely black hussar uniform.
          My mistake! Although as Massena stated Saxon Gard du Cor went to battles and participated in Borodino (if I`m not mistaken), also similar units from other German states were combat troops.

Comment

• You are right, my apologies for the confusion. Though, the German Garde du Corps-regiments were somewhat...bigger

Comment

• Hello,

I search some informations about the uniforms of Saxonny between 1813 and 1815, for the regulars troops and also for the "Banner der Freiwilligen Sachsen".

I've many pictures, but it's hard to find a description of these uniforms..

Many thnak's to all

Friendly

Didier.

Comment

• http://www.grenadierbataillon-von-sp...r-einleitg.htm

Comment

• Many thank's Vladimir, you're the one, you're the best (Barry White)....But Ich spreech (?????) nicht deutsch ...
                  Never mind, thank's lexilogos..... And again, many thank's to Vladimir....
                  So long....
                  See you later

Didier

Comment

• Unfortunately, in English, I have only a book Nafziger.

Comment

• Dear Vladimir,

Many thank's, your informations are fine.
                      So many thank's
                      Friendly
                      Didier

Comment

• Hello everyone,
                        Could someone advise about the French Trumpeter of carabineer Helmet colours during the retreat 1812?

Thanks

Comment

• 1e Carabinier c1812 by Rousselot:

It seems that the 2e Carabiniers trumpeters had light blue crests.

Paul
                          Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 26 Sep 13, 20:42.
                          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                          All human ills he can subdue,
                          Or with a bauble or medal
                          Can win mans heart for you;
                          And many a blessing know to stew
                          To make a megloamaniac bright;
                          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Thank you Paul, appreciated your time...I wasn't sure about the blue, red or black..I have a commission job to paint a miniature model and the person is very obsessed by accuracy but also not able to find out the real color

Thank you once again

Rodrigo

Comment

• Rodrigo,

The French carabineer trumpeters went through at least four, and possibly five iterations regarding uniforms when they were reuniformed in white with cuirasses and helmets instead of the old bearskins.

The first was the old carabineer uniform before they were armored and they wore a black bearskin, with the trumpet major wearing a white one, at least in 1810 during their transitional phase to being reuniformed and armored.

The second being the transitional phase where the old red uniform was still worn with the new helmet with a white comb on the helmet.

The third during the conversion the trumpeters may have worn a blue comb on the helmet, or it might have just been for the kettledrummers.

The fourth phase was the conversion to the new uniform where the comb was definitely white.

Lastly, in 1813 they either did or were supposed to convert to the Imperial Livery of the 1812 regulations with a dark green coattee and a red comb on the helmet.

The only distinction between the regiments in the new white uniform was the cuff flaps which usually cannot be seen as the carabiniers are wearing cuff flaps. Trumpeters of both regiments would have the same color comb on their helmets.

Rousselot does not discuss the new uniform much in Plate Number 2 of the series he did, but he did show the transitional uniforms in an excellent print which I have which shows the black bearskin for trumpeters, the white bearskin of the trumpet major (it also shows him in a new cuirass) and the tranisitional uniform for the company trumpeters in the old red coat and the new helmet with a white comb.

If I were going to paint a carabineer I would use white for the helmet comb and don't forget that they were a 'black horse' regiment with all ranks riding blacks except for the trumpeters who rode the traditional greys and white horses.

Sincerely,
                              M
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Thank you Kevin, attached is the figure on 90mm that I will work with.

Appreciated
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X