• Show
Clear All

• Gallica continued

France part 2
    Attached Files

Comment

• Gallica continued

France part 3 (Hussars)

That's all folks - you will have to go to Gallica & look out the rest for yourselves.......
      Attached Files

Comment

• Prinz Essling thank you for the great pictures
        Viewing the pictures I saw the label " en tenue de société" which was translated " holding company". Is the translation incorrect? And if no, what the holding company has to do with the army?
        ( The attached file is an example)
        Attached Files
        Time is inside of us and we are inside time. It turns us and we turn It.
        Vasil Levski

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...91#post2139891

Comment

• "tenue de société"

Not a bal dressing, but a dressing you can wear amongst civilians (for a walk for exemple).
          "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

• tenue de société

tenue de société is the tenue wich was used as a first tenue
            this tenue was not for war but for social events

Comment

• Thank you VieuxChat and repd for the prompt reply
              Vasil Levski

Comment

• Leroux, Pierre Albert (artist)

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Ah yes! A great site: http://library.brown.edu/cds/askb/... where you can find all those pictures as well as those Knotel unpublished Napoleonic plates and many more.

Paul
                      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                      All human ills he can subdue,
                      Or with a bauble or medal
                      Can win mans heart for you;
                      And many a blessing know to stew
                      To make a megloamaniac bright;
                      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• The reality of War

In 1807 General Lasalle wrote: "Who could recognize the brilliant hussars from Kronach fourteen months ago, those of the 5th Regiment with their white pelisses with lemon-yellow braids and their sky-blue breeches, those of the 7th Regiment with their green pelisses with daffodil-yellow braids and their scarlet breeches ? Today the whole brigade, men and horses adorned alike in mud, have neither form nor colour. Their uniform is misery."
                        When a company of the 95th Rifles return to England for a refit after the evacuation from Corunna their uniforms were patched and ragged and filthy with lice. They were ceremonially burned and new uniforms issued. On campaign Napoleonic uniforms soon lost all resemblence to the parade uniform often shown in illustrations.

Comment

• Have found leroux plates on Brown site, have clicked view and saved on the larger picture. When I call up pictures all I have are feet???. What anm I doing wrong, or is there an alternative site. Dave Burrows

Comment

• Originally posted by David Burrows View Post
                            Have found leroux plates on Brown site, have clicked view and saved on the larger picture. When I call up pictures all I have are feet???. What am I doing wrong, or is there an alternative site. Dave Burrows
                            Go to the link below, then in the page search engine type 'Military prints, you will then get the correct picture search engine.

http://library.brown.edu/cds/project...re-collections

If you use the original link that I posted, you can get a good image if you select the image, then click view the image which should get up a page with a small image over to the right of your screen . Underneath that picture is a box with a couple of smaller boxes within. Click on that and you will get a decent size image up that you can click on and download.

Paul
                            Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 15 Mar 12, 08:24.
                            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                            All human ills he can subdue,
                            Or with a bauble or medal
                            Can win mans heart for you;
                            And many a blessing know to stew
                            To make a megloamaniac bright;
                            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Thank you Dibble201Bty! I found this site long ago but for some images the download links were not working if you start a search from the homepage. However your link just fixed this! Thank you again!
                              Vasil Levski

Comment

• Tried both fixes, neither works. guess I will have to rely on Vladimir to load the rest of the images ( another 43 ) David

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X