Clear All

• Originally posted by Granatiere View Post
    Some nice uniforms from Italy
    Love how is the first one drawn C:
    Very good ones!
    Qui a composé la chanson ?
    C'est un tambour du bataillon.
    Un soir d‘été, en battant la retraite,
    Pensant à sa mie, que toujours il regrette.

Comment

• So Granatiere, you want Italian uniforms eh?

Kingdom of Naples

More on the way ( Kingdom of Italy )...
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Kingdom of Italy

My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Zouave, with Majorsennef, you're one of my contemporary miths
          A ME LE GUARDIE
          "Di noi tremò la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

• Originally posted by Lt-Bromhead View Post
            My jaw is somewhere near the floor after looking at these images, absolutly first rate. I think for me it has to be the Hussar uniform that steals the show, in any national garb. Having only recently become interested in the period most of my images have come from artists sketches. Then one day a friend recommened I watch "The Duellists" by Ridley Scott, the tailoring and re-production of the main protagonists unforms were a joy to behold and for me are the most beautiful examples of Napoleonic Uniforms.

I wonder what happened to the uniforms? Imagine keeping them as a momento!
            I took a look at the DVD extras and found this.

Ridley Scott: The great military costumes were made in Italy at Peruzzi. I learnt a big lesson in film making: I paid for the costumes, they owned them. I thought, "Wait a minute! That doesn't work for me." I was furious about that. Just the costumes for these two guys [ Keitel and Carradine ] at the time [ 1977 ] cost me 19,000 pounds. I said, "How come they own them?" They said, "That's the deal."

Comment

• Great pictues Zouave. Knoetel is one of my favourite military artists. The Neapolitan army must have been the most colourful army in the world thanks to their illustrious king Murat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zouave View Post

Ridley Scott: The great military costumes were made in Italy at Peruzzi. I learnt a big lesson in film making: I paid for the costumes, they owned them. I thought, "Wait a minute! That doesn't work for me." I was furious about that. Just the costumes for these two guys [ Keitel and Carradine ] at the time [ 1977 ] cost me 19,000 pounds. I said, "How come they own them?" They said, "That's the deal."
                Best movie ever made about the Napoleonic era as the re-enactors uniforms reflect the periods in the movie superbly and historically.

Love those Hussars.

Regards
                James

Comment

• Artist: P. Conrad

Timbalier du 2e Chevau-Leger Lanciers de la Garde Imperiale

I'll post more if requested
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 23 Feb 09, 09:38.
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                    I'll post more if requested
                    - Your Highness, the enemy is so numerous... they outnumber your army.
                    - My friend, first I beat 'em then I'll count 'em
                    (Polish King Jan III Sobieski during his campaigns)

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl

Comment

Here's Some Lanciers Rouges. [email protected] if you want to see some Polish Lancers of the Imperial Guard, give me a rep.

Paul
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 23 Feb 09, 09:39.

Comment

• Check the CP.
                        - Your Highness, the enemy is so numerous... they outnumber your army.
                        - My friend, first I beat 'em then I'll count 'em
                        (Polish King Jan III Sobieski during his campaigns)

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl

Comment

[email protected] 'Thanks' I havn't checked yet, I've been too busy posting these. Enjoy.

Paul
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 23 Feb 09, 19:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zouave View Post

Wow, £19,000! Would that be a good indication of how much they would have cost back in nap times then converted to modern amounts? Imagine how much a regiment would cost never mind an army! I suppose it would have been less in comparison as these methods are probably no longer used and you would now pay handsomely for an expert to make them as apposed to any old seamstress back in the 1800's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lt-Bromhead View Post
                              Imagine how much a regiment would cost never mind an army! I suppose it would have been less in comparison as these methods are probably no longer used and you would now pay handsomely for an expert to make them as apposed to any old seamstress back in the 1800's.
                              The dolman and fur-edged pelisse were heavily braided parts of hussar's flamboyant outfit. The pelisse cost a little fortune, 216 Francs!
                              The whole uniform for infantrymen cost approx. 250 francs.

Most often the fur-edged pelisse was left in depot, or kept boxed, instead only the lighter dolman was worn. They became so damaged already during the first campaign, that they were not taken by the rank and file. The cost of reparing the pelisse was high even for the Guard Chasseurs a cheval, that only some officers could afford it. Henri Lachoque writes that in 1807 during a parade in Paris the Guard Chasseurs "were wearing undress coats with aiguillettes. The crowd missed their gaudy dolmans and pelisses ..."

Comment

• Do you mean something like these?

Paul
                                Attached Files