Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Although I very much like the carabiniers, and the kettledrummer of Empress dragoons is lovely, the Polish Guard cavalry kettledrummer wins for me. I have never seen a model of the latter.

http://www.ironbrigade.net

Chat about anything on my board - pets, politics, whatever

Comment

• Marshal Lannes was the titular Colonel ( Colonel-General ) of the Swiss troops in French service.

Here's his Swiss uniform.

My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• Those are some high detail photos Zouave!

I have a pretty quick cable internet connection and it still took almost a minute to load the pics.

I sure hope no one tries to view those with dial-up!

Beautiful uniforms though!
        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

• I did not know Lannes was in a red uniform do you know the time periods on
          this Zouave it would be helpful to know what battles he may have worn his
          red uniform in.

Regards
          James

Comment

• Originally posted by General Brock View Post
            I did not know Lannes was in a red uniform do you know the time periods on
            this Zouave it would be helpful to know what battles he may have worn his
            red uniform in.

Regards
            James
            James,

I don't know if he ever wore it in battle. Probably not. Napoleon appointed him Colonel-General of the Swiss in September 1807.
            Last edited by Zouave; 10 Jan 09, 12:13.
            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• So it would have "maybe" been worn to balls as parade
              dress of full uniform "if I have it correct" but not in Battle which would
              make sense why he was never seen in it on a battle field or in a portrait.

Regards
              James

Comment

• GB,

Take a look at this link ( page 176, bottom of the page ): http://books.google.com/books?id=k0N...um=4&ct=result

Apparently, he wore a tonned down version of this uniform at some point of the second siege of Saragossa ( 1809 ).

Comment

• The other good thing about those photos is that they were taken outdoors on a sunny day, much better than in a studio.
                  Excellent pictures Zouave
                  Paul
                  Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 10 Jan 09, 16:23. Reason: Z for S 'oops'
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kirasjeri View Post
                    Although I very much like the carabiniers, and the kettledrummer of Empress dragoons is lovely, the Polish Guard cavalry kettledrummer wins for me. I have never seen a model of the latter.
                    Timbalier ( kettledrummer ) of the Grenadiers a Cheval of the French Imperial Guard ( plate by Andre Jouineau )

Timbalier of the Dragoons of the French Imperial Guard ( plate by Andre Jouineau )

1) 2) 3)

1)Trumpeters and timbalier of the Grenadiers a Cheval of the French Guard.
                    2)Timbalier of the Dragoons of the French Guard.
                    3)Timbalier of the 1st Lighthorse-Lancers ( Polish Lancers ) of the French Guard.
                    Plates by Lucien Rousselot.

Musicians of the French Imperial Guard ( timbalier of the Polish Lancers at the bottom of the page ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Zouave View Post
                      GB,

Take a look at this link ( page 176, bottom of the page ): http://books.google.com/books?id=k0N...um=4&ct=result

Apparently, he wore a tonned down version of this uniform at some point of the second siege of Saragossa ( 1809 ).
                      http://www.vectis.co.uk/auctiondet.p...retPage=100804

Comment

• Zouave -

Where did you get the uniform?
                        Cheers!
                        Larry

My Wargaming Blog:
                        http://thelongleadline.blogspot.com/

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

• Originally posted by Zouave View Post
                          GB,

I want that book. I have been eyeing it for months now. But the price!

It will be mine. Oh yes,it will be mine.
                          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Correus View Post
                            Zouave -

Where did you get the uniform?
                            A friend of mine send me those photos. Apparently, they were taken somewhere in France.

Comment

• My jaw is somewhere near the floor after looking at these images, absolutly first rate. I think for me it has to be the Hussar uniform that steals the show, in any national garb. Having only recently become interested in the period most of my images have come from artists sketches. Then one day a friend recommened I watch "The Duellists" by Ridley Scott, the tailoring and re-production of the main protagonists unforms were a joy to behold and for me are the most beautiful examples of Napoleonic Uniforms.

I wonder what happened to the uniforms? Imagine keeping them as a momento!

Comment

• Some nice uniforms from Italy
                                Attached Files
                                A ME LE GUARDIE
                                "Di noi tremň la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X