• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Captain
    replied
    HMS Victory, off Cadiz
    22nd October 1805

My dearest Father,
    Yesterday on the 21st of October, we gained a glorious victory over the combined French and Spanish fleets off Cadiz, but our great and gallant Lord Nelson was slain in the battle, but he died knowing he had gained a great victory, there is a numb feeling to this news, strong sailors that swear and curse are blasting their eyes out at the loss, we have even lost our company commander Captain Adair who was killed repelling French boarders.
    The battle began at around 11.45 in the morning, we went at the French in two parallel lines and was under a cannonade for a full half hour before we could return fire, in that time a file of eight marines from my platoon were struck down by one cannonball on the poopdeck, the poor fellows had to be cast overboard as we had no time to even say a prayer, we soon came up against the French flagship the Bucentaure which received a fine raking from us, which then put this fine French ship out of action. We then ran aboard the Redoubtable, at this time i was just standing just behind the Admiral who was pacing the quarterdeck with captain Hardy, and soon it seemed that hell had arrived on earth, an incessant fire was kept up on both sides, after about an hour as i was talking to the master, i heard a shout and turned to see the admiral collapsed on the deck, i at once ordered sergeant Secker to go and assist, where upon he then picked up the admiral and took him to the surgeon, i then saw two midshipmen fire towards the Redoubtable's mizzen mast, at the culprit who had shot the admiral, who then fell overboard, shot twice for his endeavours.
    By now the French were getting ready to board, where then Adair led forward a party to repel them, but he soon succumbed to the heavy musket fire pouring from the enemies rigging, the upper deck was soon devoid of any living beings as their sharpshooters was making short work of us, two of my marines one a corporal in the middle of the action had his arm carried off by a cannonshot, he bound the stump with the sash of an officer who had been killed, spirited up a party to board the enemy and was himself at the head of that party and the first on aboard the enemy ship. A marine private was at the point of firing his musket, when his left arm was struck off by a ball, he then fired his shot, then went unattended to the surgeon, carrying his musket with him in his right hand, gallant fellows. At this point HMS Temeraire came to our aid and put a full broadside to cut down the Frenchmen preparing to board us, the Frenchie was now out of the battle, by now battle was general, but our ship was so knocked about there was little we could do, by 4.30 of the afternoon the fighting was dying down when Hardy came on deck to tell us that Admiral Nelson had died, i just sat down numb with grief, much later the surgeon gave me a lock of Nelsons hair, which i shall ever treasure.
    We are soon to put into Gibraltar for repairs then back to England with the Admirals body which of all things is to be preserved in French Brandy. Dear father if you can could you go to Gieves and order me another coat as the only one i have has a bayonet slash on the right arm and is covered in poor Adairs blood. Hopefully we shall put in at Chatham and have some leave. I must say the Frogs put up a most gallant fight, but thankfully the British tars proved the better, i caught a glimpse of the French Admiral, Villeneuve i think he was called, who looked a most morose fellow, then you must understand that the poor man did just lose a battle and most of his fleet, i am now company commander, but for how long who knows.
    Give my love to my sister, regards to my brother, how is he doing in that new Regiment of his, the 95th, how can an officer fight in green is beyond me, i can't see it catching on. I have now got get this letter aboard the Pickle which will soon be going to England, as soon as this storm has abated, which blew up this morning, but hopefully our prizes shall remain intact, then we shall have a small fortune, but i doubt i shall get time to contemplate spending even a guinea of it, and no doubt some of it shall disappear on Pitt's new fangled income tax, a governments way of taking an honest mans wage.
    Hope to buy you an ale in the Red Lion soon.
    Confusion to Boney, long live the King.

your loving son.

Stratego has come up with another goodie.
    Last edited by Post Captain; 18 Sep 07, 11:29.

Leave a comment:

• Stratego
    replied
    Originally posted by mike brown View Post
    Has it got to be army or can you choose navy? because if i can i would choose to be a Royal Marine officer on board HMS Victory, let me know so i can choose another.
    Do not worry sir Mike Brown, you may also choose the navy...no problemo !!!

Greets,
    Napo Travel Inc.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    Dear Stratego of Napo Travel Inc.,
    Please be informed that I would like to make reservations for your 'Brussels and environments' trip in the week of 13th till 19th June 1815.
    Additionally. please arrange for tickets to the Duchess of Richmond's ball on the 15th (said to be THE party of the century) plus kindly book me a place on the grandstand for the main event on the 18th.
    Souvenir TBD.
    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 18 Sep 07, 07:52.

Leave a comment:

• Wolster
    replied
    Originally posted by mike brown View Post
    Has it got to be army or can you choose navy? because if i can i would choose to be a Royal Marine officer on board HMS Victory, let me know so i can choose another.
    I would have to agree with Mike, although I'm not kissing any Admirals!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Post Captain
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stratego
    started a topic Napo Travels Inc.

Napo Travels Inc.

*******SPECIAL OFFER******

Just for the frequent visitors of the Napoleonic Forums of ACG...

Napo Travels Inc. invites you to take trip into time !

Choose one week to be able to witness and relive the great events that happened in your chosen period !

As customer, you will be able to choose any 7 days between september 1793 and june 1815. As a soldier, you will be able to relive the action of a siege, a battle or any other daily happening at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th century ! Meet Bonaparte, Wellington, Blucher, Lannes, Davout, Kutuzov or Tsar Alexander, fall for the charms of Joséphine or the intrigues of Talleyrand...it's all up to you...You may choose to travel as a British, French, Russian or any other nationality and in any arm of your choosing...

As a bonus for quick suscribers, you will be able to bring back a souvenir of your choosing to remember the great experience you have had...

So which week would you like to relive and which souvenir would you choose to bring back?

Napo travel inc. is not responsible for possible loss of personal belongings of the customer, the sustained wounds, sickness or possible death of it's customer during his travel in time...

Greets,
    Stratego
    Last edited by Stratego; 17 Sep 07, 15:26.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X