Tom Plunkett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Plunkett

One of the 95th Rifles's characters, Plunkett was an Irishman, he served with the 1st battalion at Corunna and was present at the rearguard action at Cacabelos. He is most famous for bringing down General Colbert, who was seen encouraging his dragoons to press home a final assault, Plunkett an excellent marksmen went forward announcing that he would "bring that fellow down", he lay on his back in the snow and placing his foot in the rifle sling and took deliberate aim.

His shot killed the general, he next brought down a trumpeter. It is alleged that Sir Edward Paget, the commander of the reserve division witnessed the shooting and tossed his purse to Plunkett. Drink was his downfall, as a sergeant he was drunk on duty and threatened to shoot his company commander. He was broken down to rifleman and sentenced to 300 lashes, but only received 35.
    He subsequently regained the rank of corporal and was badly wounded in the head at Waterloo. Some months after Waterloo he married a woman without a face, this unfortunate had been standing too close to an ammo wagon at Quatres Bras when it exploded. Her features according to Edward Costello were "rendered a blue, shapeless, noseless mass". She received a shilling a day disability pension- double Plunkett's pension.
    Much later he went to Canada to be a farmer but alas this proved he was no farmer. he returned to England were he roamed the streets of Colchester selling matches. He died in the street a few years later, a sad end for a veteran.
    any other members have any characters or rogues tales from that period.
    Last edited by Post Captain; 07 Sep 07, 12:09.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

This fellow would give any Veteran a run for his money. The thing about Lawrence that makes me smile is his antics after the wars. One of his final postings while serving King and Country was to Ireland to support the Excise men in the fight agin smugglers. It taught the old soldier a lot did that, so much so, that when returning to Dorset and becoming a pub landlord he took it up with great sucsess.
    The centre of his nefarious empire was the Ship Inn at Wool, It's still there and does a roaring trade serving ale to Tankies from nearby Bovington Camp!

http://waterloobattletours.users.bto...om/page24.html
    The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
      This fellow would give any Veteran a run for his money. The thing about Lawrence that makes me smile is his antics after the wars. One of his final postings while serving King and Country was to Ireland to support the Excise men in the fight agin smugglers. It taught the old soldier a lot did that, so much so, that when returning to Dorset and becoming a pub landlord he took it up with great sucsess.
      The centre of his nefarious empire was the Ship Inn at Wool, It's still there and does a roaring trade serving ale to Tankies from nearby Bovington Camp!

http://waterloobattletours.users.bto...om/page24.html
      Jeesh! I really have got to go to Engerland someday and do some prolonged drink...Uh, I mean study about all of the rogues and rascals of the age. Perhaps I may even entice the Von to take a drop or two with me as well.
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X