Peninsular War-what If

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peninsular War-what If

The Spanish have risen as history tells us against the French, but do not ask for assistance from Britain, when historically they did ask for help, how do you think the war would have gone? would the British have eventually got a foothold on the continent and more importantly stay there and where would they have gone? Netherlands, Portugal, Prussia or any other nation fighting the French.
    And would the Spanish war have drawn more French troops away from Napoleon's other punch ups, which it did in reality, if not he would have had more troops to face the Allies to the North, so possibly bringing about a different outcome in 1813.
    Last edited by Post Captain; 12 Aug 07, 09:46.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

I think it's a very unlikely scenario. Spain could only turn to Britain for help - there was literally no one else. And Spain could not hope to overthrow the French on their own.

But in the spirit of the question, I think the dynamics would have remained the same. Large French forces would still be tied up in Spain on garrison duties. And there would still be the need for an army that could march to relief garrisons and confront sizable Spanish forces should any assemble.

The only way the French could have had enough troops would be to abandon Spain altogether. This in turn will open its western flank to possible attacks.

Comment

I posed the question because i was thinking of Spanish pride, quite a few Spaniards did not want Wellington put in charge of the Spanish armies, did not want protestant soldiers in their country, just thought to say that if those proud Spanish had not gone to the British, how would it have turned out.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I could be wrong, but I thought that the initial influx of British troops was to Portugal. And it was only later that the decision to move into Spain was made.

Comment

How it went was Portugal refused to participate in the Continental system imposed by Napoleon, so the French invade Portugal via the French ally Spain.
          Junot was sent with 30,000 men to occupy Lisbon, the Portuguese royal family flee to Brazil leaving a Council of regency, which appealed to Britain for help, at this time the rising in Spain in favour of Ferdinand began after he and his father had to renounce the throne. So a Spanish delegation went to Britain to request assistance, then history takes its course, but in this what if, i am saying if the Spanish did not ask for help, could the British have got at the French via Portugal, could they have crossed into Spain despite not being asked.
          Last edited by Post Captain; 14 Aug 07, 07:14.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Thought the British turned up in Lisbon, and almost forced the Portuguese court to move to Brasil (which was a relative backwater of the time).

My memory on this isn't all too good, but why did the British move into Portugal first, if it had been a Spanish request for help?

Comment

Originally posted by wwagstyl View Post
              Thought the British turned up in Lisbon, and almost forced the Portuguese court to move to Brasil (which was a relative backwater of the time).

My memory on this isn't all too good, but why did the British move into Portugal first, if it had been a Spanish request for help?
              "Junot was sent with 30,000 men to occupy Lisbon, the Portuguese royal family flee to Brazil leaving a Council of regency, which appealed to Britain for help,"

the Portuguese did ask first, as mentioned earlier in the post, prompting the British troop movement to Portugal.
              Last edited by Post Captain; 14 Aug 07, 10:21.
              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X