Wellington's best unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellington's best unit

What do you consider to be the best unit in Wellington's command, be it from India, the Peninsula or the Waterloo campaign.
    Last edited by Post Captain; 27 Jul 07, 09:16.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

The portuguese battalions. LOL!
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
      The portuguese battalions. LOL!
      "The fighting cocks of the army" was how Wellington described his Portuguese troops and considered an invaluable part of his army.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

First and foremost the 95th regiment, then the KGL followed by the exploring officers.
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I have no particular favorites, although I liked the scots, kgl and the 95 rifle for infantry.

Nothing strikes more fear in men then a bunch of guys in skirts running at them!!!

I am somewhat indifferent to their horse. I like the scots greys, but they only seems to have servers at Waterloo.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by owen36; 28 Jul 07, 10:49.
          Dearest of all my Friends(Vlad in max payne 2)

Comment

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
            "The fighting cocks of the army"
            I like how it sounds in english.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
              I like how it sounds in english.
              I know in this day and age it sound's a bit "carry on" but it doe's show that it came from a completely different age.
              Last edited by Post Captain; 30 Jul 07, 09:59.
              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

That's what I love the most about it. I've to remember about this the next time I teach this subjects in my classes.

Comment

The fighting 88th!!!

No doubt Wellington's best unit, at least during the Peninsula Campaign, was the ferocious as hell, hard-fighting 88th Connaught Rangers, whom I believe the French feared the most (and who were recruited almost entirely from the West of Ireland).

For their value and significance as these first-rate shock troops cannont be overestimated nor downplayed, and the very eminent, highly authoritative British author of historical fictional novels---Bernard Cornwall (where fictional characters are cleverly inserted into real life episodes and actual battle scenes that took place!) was quick to assert that to his mind the 88th Connaught Rangers were the best of the best in Wellington's Army, especially during the battles and storms of the very violent and furious Peninsula Campaign in Spain and Portugal. If that's not an expert opinion I don't know what is!

Though of course all the other Irish regiments were awesome and very fearsome themselves, and then you have the immortal, World-class and super elite 95th Rifles, otherwise known as the legendary "Green Jackets" whose spectacular combat exploits and fame were vividly brought to life and made very popular by the renowned and expert pen of Bernard Cornwall, the finest author of historical novels in the World today!

Then you have the fearless and unstoppable Highlander regiments, intrepid men inspired by the lofty wailing and screeching of their bagpipes, the very instruments that were very instrumental in engendering the fighting fury and immeasurable bravery of those nonpareil shock-troops whose impetus, once unleashed, could not be stopped or checked. Yet such fighting fervor and desire for engaging the enemy in hand-to-hand combat was deeply embedded in their DNA, running through their Highland blood and thoroughly inherent in the warrior culture from whence they all sprang!!! I would have to say that along with many of the Irish (like the 88th!) the Scottish Highlanders were the most ferocious and formidable shock troops in the World back during the early 19th century (as they still are today!)!

Though I would have to say that the 88th Connaught Rangers were the best, toughest and most vigorous troops in Wellington's Army. Moreover, the King's German Legion of mounted men also acquired this very commendable and highly esteemed combat record, "as fine as any in the Army."
                  Last edited by Taylor Ahern; 11 Aug 07, 19:45.

Comment

Excellent choice Taylor! and delivered in your usual and here very appropriate style when describing battles and crack troops.
                    I concur because, apart form visiting their museum in Ireland, I too have read Cornwell's Sharpe novels and one which stayed with me was Sharpe's Battle (Fuentes de Onoro) where the actions of the unforgettable Connaught Rangers are described. Blood curling indeed!! They may not have been the best disciplined troops around in Wellington's army, but definitely when really serious (and close) fighting had to be done, none would have been a better choice than the 88th!
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

How big is a "unit"? Just asking, because personally I'd go for Crauford's Light Division.

Comment

Well I've been beaten to it!

The 88th of course!
                        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Beware the Devil's Own!!!

Captainsennef, thank you very much for your fine and inspiring remarks. As always I really appreciate such feedback, it means a lot to me! I'm also over the moon that you've read "Sharpe's Battle" by Bernard Cornwall, the novel in which he goes into vivid and great detail on the Battle of Fuentes de Onoro, quite possibly the most ferocious and intense engagement of the whole Peninusula Campaign.

Jeroen (and Wolfe Tone as well!), if you would like you should go to the "favorite unit" thread in the Napoleonic Era, the one started by MajorSharpe, and roughly half-way down on page two you'll come across another posting of mine once again paying tribute to and detailing the famous exploits of the 88th Rangers from Connaught in West Ireland. Yet this time I go into far greater detail on their combat deeds as I describe their unrivalled performance at the end of the Battle on the ridge above Fuentes de Onoro, step-by-bloody-step, where they slammed into this much larger number of tough, super elite French Grenadiers and drove them off at the tip of their razor sharp bayonets. For the ferocious 88th basically won that battle by viciously slicing and ceaselessly jabbing with their bayonets, routing the French Grenadiers in the process!

Go check it out if you get the time, you'll enjoy it (please feel free to critique it because as always your brilliant feedback is much appreciated)! I'm very elated that you and Wolfe Tone share my opinion on this subject because I've always been this major, very ardent fan of the 88th Connaught Rangers, who were also very well regarded by Wellington himself because of their ferocity and fearlessness as the finest shock troops to be found. As I've previously mentioned the very famous author Bernard Cornwall, in one of our rare correspondences, agreed with me and even admitted that he fervently believed the 88th Rangers to be the best in Wellington's Army (although he conceded that many others might put forth other regiments as the best, though he loved and admired the 88th the most!). If you ask me, any such revelation from both yourself and Mr. Cornwall is as expert and definitive as one could expect and receive, so if you guys agree that the 88th was the best than they had to have been!!!

Furthermore, according to Wellington, who argued in favor of Catholic Emancipation before Parliament in 1829, "it is mainly to Irish Roman Catholics that we all owe our glorious preeminence in the military career." I'm certain that it's safe to assume that he was thinking of all the last minute, career preserving episodes of hand-to-hand combat, fearsome exploits and other battlefield feats that were undertaken by the 88th Rangers, and how they were mainly responsible for driving that vast French force off of that ridge above the town of Fuentes de Onoro, thus securing victory for his Army and the Allies in the Iberian Peninsula in 1811!

My other posting on the 88th is in the favorite unit thread by MajorSharpe, page two, #22. It's this rather in-depth, vivid description of the events that transpired at the end of Fuentes de Onoro, when the immortal 88th crashed and smashed into the advancing French and decisively routed them!!!
                          Last edited by Taylor Ahern; 11 Aug 07, 19:50.

Comment

I have read all the Sharpe books so many times, and i still can't get enough of them, i do notice Bernard Cornwell doe's make good use of the Irish troops and Irish characters such as Hogan and Harper. Pity the earlier books set in India and at Trafalgar did not have those characters in, though Harper and the other chosen men make a appearance in Sharpe' prey set in Copenhagen.
                            Excellent knowledge on the 88th, if i had commanded a Brigade in Wellington's army i would want at least one Irish battalion and a rifle battalion in it.
                            Last edited by Post Captain; 12 Aug 07, 04:07.
                            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

No votes for the South Essex, yet?

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X