Wellington's best general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellington's best general

Who would you consider to be Wellington's best general, the one he could trust the most with an independent command, or to do as the Duke required in campaigning or battle.
    Last edited by Post Captain; 27 Jul 07, 08:51.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

The Duke didn't really go in for giving anyone a significant independant command, he prefered to run as much as possible himself. He usually didn't even have a clear second in command.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Sir Thomas Picton gets my vote, he could have dodged the column () at Waterloo because of his wound, yet chose to stay with his men.
      The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        The Duke didn't really go in for giving anyone a significant independant command, he prefered to run as much as possible himself. He usually didn't even have a clear second in command.
        He gave Beresford an independent command at Albuera, but proved to be a first rate administrator, but his limitations as a field commander were revealed at Albuera.
        The best of Wellington's generals would to me be Rowland Hill, in 1810 Wellington entrusted Hill with the independent command of a small corps in defence of the Portuguese frontier, the man saw a lot of hard campaigning under Wellington, as did most of Wellington's generals, and they usually led from the front, as can be seen in the casualties, Crauford at Ciudad Rodrigo, Picton at Waterloo, Le Marchant at Salamanca to name a few and many more were wounded.
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Beresford hands down.
          All warfare is based on deception.
          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

I don't know about best but his worst was definitely the Duke of Orange (not really a general but he was still a military leader).
            "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
            -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by AIrchallenged View Post
              I don't know about best but his worst was definitely the Duke of Orange (not really a general but he was still a military leader).
              You are very right about the prince, very inexperienced, much too young to command a corps, being 23 at Waterloo, but very brave none the less.
              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X