"What if4" Napoleon wins at Waterloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What if4" Napoleon wins at Waterloo

This may have been posted before, but I could not find it.
    Anyway, I have always wondered just what would have happened had Napoleon won decisively in Belgium.

There are those (David Hamilton Williams in his "New Perspectives" book) who believe that victory would have caused the coalition to fall apart. I don't tend to think so. The allies may have hated and mistrusted each other, but they hated Napoleon even more.

So, my question: "What do you think would have happened had Napoleon decisively defeated Blucher and Wellington?"
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Good question, i think the Austrians and Russians would have belatedly turned up, and may well have beaten Napoleon, but where would Napoleon turn next? towards Austria. Would he have met the two head on, or manoeuvred round their flanks, his army would have been depleted because Napoleon would have to keep a force in Belgium to watch or pursue the Prussians and British, that said troops were forming in the depots of France, i don't know how far the recruits were trained. And if the Prussians and British did rally and reform, Napoleon would have a very big headache, so i think eventually he would have been soundly beaten.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
      Good question, i think the Austrians and Russians would have belatedly turned up, and may well have beaten Napoleon, but where would Napoleon turn next? towards Austria. Would he have met the two head on, or manoeuvred round their flanks, his army would have been depleted because Napoleon would have to keep a force in Belgium to watch or pursue the Prussians and British, that said troops were forming in the depots of France, i don't know how far the recruits were trained. And if the Prussians and British did rally and reform, Napoleon would have a very big headache, so i think eventually he would have been soundly beaten.
      I seem to recall that Napoleon expected to have about 700,000 under arms by the end of the year. Many of those troops would have been veterans who had been stuck in garrisons or pows in 1814. The allies were likely to have twice that though.

I think that the allies would have just ground him down and France could not have supported him for very long.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

I think that he would have stayed in power a little longer. A year or 2 maybe ?

His troops had been depleted though and huge allied armies were ready to stop him at all costs. He would just be eventually outgunned and outmanned and be defeated. So it wouldnt change much rather than add a page or 2 to the history books and some more casualties for both sides.
        He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.
        --Napoleon Bonaparte

Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets. --Napoleon Bonaparte

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. --Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X