Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Books on use of cavalry during the Napoleonic era

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on use of cavalry during the Napoleonic era

Gentlemen:

I would like to know if you could recommend some goods books on the use and development of all variants of cavalry during the Napoleonic period. I am aware that some of the types of formations/organisations stem from before this period. I will have to look into these periods as well to get a broader understanding of the subject matter.

Many thanks,

Ed.
    The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Antoine de Brack's Cavalry Outposts is excellent for light cavalry. De Brack was an officer of French chasseurs a cheval, later in the famous Red Lancers. Later, he would command a hussar regiment after the wars.

Excellent cavalryman and officer, excellent study.
    Last edited by Massena; 04 Sep 17, 06:13.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

This should be of interest.

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/topics...e-Marchant.pdf

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I added de Brack's 'Cavalry Outposts' to my collection on Marshal M's recommendation several years ago. Excellent book, he even goes into the diseases Cavalry mounts could pick up while on campaign, and the best way to cure/keep them at bay!

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Jomini's ARTICLE XLV Cavalry
          http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/...tm#ARTICLE_XLV

Some Osprey Elite books

Comment

Jomini wasn't a cavalryman, he was a staff officer; in point of fact he wore a uniform for years without actually becoming a soldier.

He never commanded troops and was a failure as a corps chief of staff and military governor.

He was also a deserter and a renegade.

I would take most of what he wrote with a very large salt pill.

'Jomini, Chief of Staff to [Ney] has deserted...He is not worth much as a soldier; however, as a writer, he has gotten hold of some sound ideas on war.'-Napoleon 16 August 1813.

There are excellent memoirs by numerous cavalry officers, both French and British, from the period that would be much more helpful and accurate.

If anyone is interested I can post a listing of those I have in my library.
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
              Nice one Paul Now I've got a lad running around the garden practising sabre strokes. Yes, and he rides horses as well.
              The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                I added de Brack's 'Cavalry Outposts' to my collection on Marshal M's recommendation several years ago. Excellent book, he even goes into the diseases Cavalry mounts could pick up while on campaign, and the best way to cure/keep them at bay!

Cheers Von,

That add some weight to the recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
                  Jomini's ARTICLE XLV Cavalry
                  http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/...tm#ARTICLE_XLV

Some Osprey Elite books

Got these titles.

Cheers

Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
                    Got these titles.
                    Parquin's memoirs, sometimes published as Napoleon's Victories is another outstanding example of a cavalryman's experiences in combat and in the field.

Even Marbot's memoirs, even though they are peppered with some great whackers, are instructive as he was a light cavalry regimental commander in Russia, 1813-1814 and 1815.

Amiel's letters, which can be found in various volumes of the early La Sabretache published before War I are also very helpful. Marbot did not like Amiel at all, but he believed that he was the best light cavalry officer of any army in the period.

Comment

This may be of special interest.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...iew=1up;seq=20

Paul
                      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                      All human ills he can subdue,
                      Or with a bauble or medal
                      Can win mans heart for you;
                      And many a blessing know to stew
                      To make a megloamaniac bright;
                      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                      The Pixie is a little shite.