Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Redcoated from 1790-1820 (give or take a few years....'or so!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some more examples that may be of interest.

Paul
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 13 Feb 17, 22:52.
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Paul END

PS. Sorry for the one or two that I have posted before
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 14 Feb 17, 11:56.

Comment

This post is all about the Prince of Wales' First love....His 10th Light Dragoons.

And here is a very interesting line-up of the officers who served in the 10th (Prince of Wales) Regiment of Light Dragoons at the time of 1794 to 1796.
        None of the miniatures are named so we do not know who they are, apart from that is, the Prince of Wales. Those that are depicted should include Colonel W A Pitt, who had been Colonel of the regiment for many years, Lieutenant-Colonel W Newton, another long-standing officer, Adjutants P Shadwell and James M’Dermot, and possibly George Bryan (known as Beau Brummell, a friend of the Prince of Wales and the benchmark of fashion of the day) who joined as a Cornet in 1795.

The Prince had joined the 10th Light Dragoons in 1783 and was appointed Colonel-Commandant in January 1793.

He commanded the regiment up to the time he became King in 1820.

I have studied each picture carefully and there is one that is subtly different from the rest. This could well be the Prince's favourite Beau Brummell. The picture is the one in the middle, bottom row, second set. You will see that he is the only one to have additional cording going from his chest, over the pouch-belt to the left shoulder. there is also a curious double tab just above the tassels that hang down between the chest and arm.

Guidon 1801-1816

Paul
        Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 06 Mar 17, 01:16.

Comment

An interesting chart of cuff-rank structure from 1811

And more interesting plates for your perusal

Paul

Comment

Paul, may I just say how facinating I find your collection and I'm awed by the amount of work you must have put into it. I particularly like those with the cavalry and the portraits. Great job.

Comment

Thanks Christopher!

All I'm doing is bringing many pictures together for perusal and reference if others need it.

We have a mass of Information regarding other armies of the period but not much where the British army is concerned. So I put all these pictures up for those who want to find out for instance, what gosling green looked like or if it was true that all buff faced regiments wore buff coloured belts and straps, and if they did, how light was the buff colour (a mixture of white pipe-clay and yellow ochre)?

It does take quite a bit of editing to combine and reduce the pictures and there is also the odd blemish, shadow, rip, fold or foxing to 'windows paint' to get rid of (I don't use Photoshop because I'm a clever bugger!).

I have hundreds of Richard Scollins' pictures in my library, some I have posted on these forums in the past (Many of them are now scattered throughout the internet, especially Pinterest) but also many others that I haven't. They cover all areas of history, from the Ancient Egyptians, right up to the 1990's.

Rick' sadly died at the young age of 46. I would like to post them all on A.C.G as a sort of tribute to a artist who depicted soldiers more realistically than anyone else but I keep on thinking that now is not the time as I'm sure that I will aquire more examples of his work. A terrible loss to the world of military illustration.

Paul

Comment

I have 2 questions, first, what was the average price of these uniforms and second, what is the difference between a foot and an infantry regiment, excellent work btw
                à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
                (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
                  I have 2 questions, first, what was the average price of these uniforms and second, what is the difference between a foot and an infantry regiment, excellent work btw
                  Foot = infantry. Horse = cavalry.

Here is a link pertaining how much a commission cost and the price of the average infantry ensigns uniform by the great Carole Divall.

http://www.caroledivall.co.uk/2009/0...icers-trinity/

The Fusilier, Guards and cavalry regiments paid out more for their uniforms, the Light Dragoons (hussars) and Household Cavalry even more.

People like Uxbridge, and Vivian wore uniforms the equivalent of the cost of a Porsche or about £60,000. If you include all their outfits, horses, campaign chest, you are looking at at least the equivalent of £250,000. An officer never joined for the money as his pay would never cover his mess bills, let alone his other commitments.

Paul

Comment

thanks, for the info, I can't imagine the number of hours spent to design André make this uniforms
                    à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
                    (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

All of the illustrations in two of the postings #48-#49, above seem to have been lost which may be all down to Photobucket who have managed to lose some of my files. I will remedy this by reposting them and a few other pictures within the next week or so.

Paul

Comment

I'm posting more interesting pictures plus those that had been lost to Photobucket's glitch.

This post is all about the Prince of Wales' First love....His 10th Light Dragoons.

And here is a very interesting line-up of the officers who served in the 10th (Prince of Wales) Regiment of Light Dragoons at the time of 1794 to 1796.
                        None of the miniatures are named so we do not know who they are, apart from that is, the Prince of Wales. Those that are depicted should include Colonel W A Pitt, who had been Colonel of the regiment for many years, Lieutenant-Colonel W Newton, another long-standing officer, Adjutants P Shadwell and James M’Dermot, and possibly George Bryan (known as Beau Brummell, a friend of the Prince of Wales and the benchmark of fashion of the day) who joined as a Cornet in 1795.

The Prince had joined the 10th Light Dragoons in 1783 and was appointed Colonel-Commandant in January 1793.

He commanded the regiment up to the time he became King in 1820.

I have studied each picture carefully and there is one that is subtly different from the rest. This could well be the Prince's favourite Beau Brummell. The picture is the one in the middle, bottom row, second set. You will see that he is the only one to have additional cording going from his chest, over the pouch-belt to the left shoulder. there is also a curious double tab just above the tassels that hang down between the chest and arm.

Comment

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 16 May 17, 19:27.

Comment

An interesting contemporary (1812 - 1818) painting of an officer of the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards, especially the detail of the helmet

Comment

Some more interesting miniatures and uniforms. Iincluded in this batch are yet more buff faced regiments with white shoulder-belts, one is of an officer of the 3rd (Buffs) the second example I have posted. The other two are of the 52nd and 71st.

Paul

Comment

I have recently had discussions on another site 'TMP' with Ben Townsend of the 2/95th forum, which included among others, Dr Stephen Summerfield and 42flanker, who I believe is our very own and most knowledgeable jf42.

The discussion was 'in general' about the type of headwear worn by the Three battalions of the 95th Rifles at Waterloo and the metal colour of the bugle horn for the other ranks cap badge in the time from 1800 to the Waterloo campaign.

Ben Townsend believes that the cap badge for the O.R's was brass. There is no solid evidence for this to be the case, but then again, there isn't evidence for the pewter type that is commonly shown in illustrations. I (and Surprisingly, Ben too!) believe that the 95th O.R's never wore a cap badge whilst campaigning in the field anyway! But did wear the badge when they were on home service, on leave in 'walking out dress' or had to turn out for parades.

There is also the belief by Ben that the Belgic 'bang-up' type hat was issued to the 1/95th, 2/95th and 3/95th before Waterloo, but I for one, think that the 1/st 95th, may still have had the older cylindrical, felt type and the same may well be said for the 2nd and 3rd, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did wear the Belgic type

Anyway, getting back to the cap badge. I have studied many contemporary illustrations of rifle regiments both the 95th and Volunteer - militia types and all the pictures I have found show a hat devoid of a cap badge. The only time a contemporary picture does show rifle unit O.R's wearing a badge, is in depictions of range day shooting competitions or in demonstrations of skill at arms poses or off duty. All other depictions where the illustration shows them on maneuvers or on campaign there is no cap badge.

Ben Townsend said:
                                I tend to agree with you about the cap badge not being worn on service, though its impossible to be dogmatic based solely on images.
                                I say that the visual evidence is much better than that documented, especially when there are many examples in that form as opposed to no and very sketchy evidence in the written word.

Here are some examples:

And the illustration in the bottom left of this group

You notice that the Duke of Cumberland sharpshooter in the top set has brass hunting horn collar-dogs but no cap badge

Anyway! Lets move on and post some more plates.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...