This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In memory of Michael Brown aka Post Captain

An eternal memorial dedicated to our friend and colleague Michael Brown aka Post Captain.

As Napoleonic history buff - with expertise in Napoleonic Naval affairs and the life and death of Horatio Nelson, I'm convinced that it is here that his memorial belongs.

Please add Mickey's his favorite posts, threads and contributions to this thread...after that we will sticky and close it.

Thanks all!

Stratego aka Jason St.Just
    Attached Files
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Moving tribute Jason

You may wish to open a thread in Mickey's honour in the Hall Of Remembrance.
    I think it would be fitting if you do it.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...play.php?f=394
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

The ancient Greeks believed that if one is remembered, they don't really die.

That being the case, Mick will always be with us here.

Go with God, Mick. And may you be in heaven three days before the devil knows you're dead.

Rest In Peace.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          The ancient Greeks believed that if one is remembered, they don't really die.

That being the case, Mick will always be with us here.

Go with God, Mick. And may you be in heaven three days before the devil knows you're dead.

Rest In Peace.
          I was unaware that the greeks believed that to remember someone kept them alive. I like to say that to Remember someone is to honor them. I believe in this case both are appropriate........

Comment

RIP Mickey
            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
              RIP Mickey
              A great loss for us. I wish his family... andh im well as he journeys onward to better and greater things.
              "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
              Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

RIP

"Go Easy Bro!"

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

"Vers la gloire" can say Detaille.
                  Another Bro leave us.
                  Sabrivo1965

Comment

"Grande ombre de Napoléon!
                    C'est à toi de graver son nom
                    Sur les piliers du nouveau pont d'Arcole."

Jean François Casimir Delavigne - 1833

Comment

"To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

You join a forum with hundreds/thousands of members from all over the world. Some you hit it off with, some you don't. Some wind you up big time, others you respect, tolerate, ignore ... and then there are those you just instinctively like.

I always liked Post Captain. I always felt a bit of affinity with 'Mickey' as we knew him, and that is why, over the past days, from when we first heard the news of his premature passing, my thoughts have returned to him again and again.

Not just because we lived very close to each other - just a few miles apart along the same coastline. I live in a pleasant enough seaside town, but he lived in one of the places I love best on earth - Portsmouth - (well not Portsmouth as such, but specifically Portsmouth Naval Dockyard) - home not just to Nelson's Victory but to one of the finest exhibitions on earth - the Mary Rose. I love that place - the geography of it, the history of it - and just because of what it is and where it is.

But aside from the fact that he was a local, I liked Mickey for other reasons. His areas of interest, his understated tone, his quiet 'rep' where he would give me a bit of encouragement or a pat on the back even when probably, I'd come across on the forum as a right stroppy cow.

And last but not least, his very British humour. Mickey, although he wasn't an obvious joker, could make me laugh out loud sometimes and I realised very early on with him, that a fair few of those reading, wouldn't get the wit, the irony and the 'funny' about what he had written.

To my eternal regret I once went after Post Captain for a mistaken slight.

A poster had been turning up on various threads I was on and making (what I perceived as) digs and criticisms. I got the screen names muddled up and thought it was Post Captain. So when he turned up on another thread and (gently and politely) pulled me up on some errors I'd made, I responded like a harriden!

But he never responded back. He never scolded me, or had a go, or used his 'mod' powers. He realised immediately it was a case of mistaken identity on my part, ignored what I'd written, moved on and continued to encourage me when I posted subsequently.

None of us know who we are interracting with on the internet. You don't 'know' anyone. You don't know what they look like, how they laugh, how they walk and so on ... but you do get a 'sense' of them through their words, their modus operandi and their consistency.

With Mickey ... that sense for me, was always, that he was one of the good guys.

Tuck
                        x

Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 01 Aug 16, 15:57.
                        "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
                        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

A fitting epitaph, I think:

'At the grave of the hero we end, not with sorrow at the inevitable loss, but with the contagion of his courage; and with a kind of desperate joy we return back to the fight.'-Oliver Wendell Holmes.
                          We are not now that strength which in old days
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

to you, Mickey.
                            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Zouave View Post
                              to you, Mickey.

Uzal today...
                              Military valor... and memory...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X