HMS Victory's New Colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Victory's New Colours

Visitors to the HMS Victory will be able to walk around Nelson's cabin for the first time, thanks to a major refurbishment.
    The multi-million pound conservation project has seen the 250-year-old warship repainted in its original colours and a new route for visitors open up.
    The public will now be able to ascend onto the Poop Deck to view Victory’s surroundings in the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, walk around Nelson’s Great Cabin as well as see Captain Hardy’s Cabin displayed for the first time as a working captain’s accommodation.
    HMS Victory allows visitors to see new parts of Lord Nelsons ship after refurbs | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Post Captain; 01 Apr 16, 10:35.
    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Very striking!

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

The can't see any of the lower two gun decks guns. Have they been removed?
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Not as far as i know, going to have to pay a visit soon. The lower gun deck is about the only original part of Victory, and when i was last there a couple of years back, a section was rotten and in serious need of attention.

Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

About 50 pics will be perfect .

SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Loved my 2007 visit to the Victory. Then the Admirality were using Nelson's cabin room as a place for meetings for the RN, and there were more than one high naval official making their way to it.

Comment

Very nicely done.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Beautiful ship.
                  Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Smoke detectors and fire suppression systems...Whew, who knew...!!!! Thanks for the excellent pics..

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Holliday View Post
                      Smoke detectors and fire suppression systems...Whew, who knew...!!!! ..
                      In Nelson's time provided by a Marine sentry with a loud voice and a bucket.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Smoke detectors and fire suppression systems...Whew, who knew...!!!! Thanks for the excellent pics..
                        Bet they wished they'd thought of that for the Cutty Sark...

The long toll of the brave
                        Is not lost in darkness
                        Over the fruitful earth
                        And athwart the seas
                        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Bet they wished they'd thought of that for the Cutty Sark...

A sentry anyway...

Comment

Yeah, whenever I see anything that old made of wood, I have to bite my lip.
                            But this one looks very well taken care of, shored up around he stern and everything. It must be the very last S.O.L. anywhere in the world.

Our Constitution is still on the water, how much longer can it last like that?!?

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                              Yeah, whenever I see anything that old made of wood, I have to bite my lip.
                              But this one looks very well taken care of, shored up around he stern and everything. It must be the very last S.O.L. anywhere in the world.

Our Constitution is still on the water, how much longer can it last like that?!?
                              Its in drydock right now getting retrofitted...Seeing the Victory in person is on my bucket list....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X