England expects...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England expects...

That this idle bastard might, at least, have painted his model boat...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eal-thing.html

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

I love the caption..."a fine view of the victory RACING to Trafalgar.

The Curator of the "Victory" museum states that the Nelsons fleet closed with the Franco-spanish fleet at approx. 2 KNOTS..."giving several hours, when the crews could bathe, chainge into fresh clothing, prepare a meal, see the chaplin, and generally think about what they were to experience in the next few hours."

I'm not sure whether he can be bothered to paint it after 17 years of work on the thing.

I've always wanted to make a model of the "victory" as it appeared at the signal for "striking the colours" from the "Redoubtable", with masts down, sails and rigging everywhere, and a small crowd of Officers on deck clustered around the dieing Nelson.

Did he really say "thank god i have done my duty" after Hardy told him what the results of the battle were?

It seems so CORNY.

considering the type of injury he sustained, making any feeling below the waist impossible, he's far more likely to have said.."Thank god, Hardy, I can't feel anything"
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Its a sculpture, not a model, and a damn fine one. The last time people painted sculptures they were also serving up hemlock to bolshy philosophers. Back in Nelson's time model ship makers did not paint their models - look at some of the magnificent scrimshaw and POW model ships in museums. Mind you there are idle whatsits who don't bother to get their minds off the mental couch
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
        I love the caption..."a fine view of the victory RACING to Trafalgar.

The Curator of the "Victory" museum states that the Nelsons fleet closed with the Franco-spanish fleet at approx. 2 KNOTS..."giving several hours, when the crews could bathe, chainge into fresh clothing, prepare a meal, see the chaplin, and generally think about what they were to experience in the next few hours."
        Yes but 'Racing to Trafalgar' Doesn't mean 'racing into action 'at' Trafalgar'

Paul
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Its a sculpture, not a model, and a damn fine one. The last time people painted sculptures they were also serving up hemlock to bolshy philosophers. Back in Nelson's time model ship makers did not paint their models - look at some of the magnificent scrimshaw and POW model ships in museums. Mind you there are idle whatsits who don't bother to get their minds off the mental couch
          Doesn't do it for me, an unpainted model boat just looks crap, get some pink stripes on it, and make it look more realistic!
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Im preety sure Nelsons carpenters didn't take 17 years to finish a model either.

And some paint WOULD make it look nice.

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
            Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              It is one fine piece of art. Only a Philistine would dab it with paint.

VR
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                It is one fine piece of art. Only a Philistine would dab it with paint.

VR
                It's a piece of tat, all the sails, masts and wotnot are wrong for the Victory at the time of Trafalgar. I would have thought a know all, like the bloke you quoted, would have known that and already lectured us mere mortals about it... obviously he knows more about Sopwith Camels than he does sailboats!

Is not lost in darkness
                Over the fruitful earth
                And athwart the seas
                Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Hear that Von?

WE have been labelled "philistines"

Reminds me of the very first debate i had here. about the Picasso "geurnica" work and its amazing effects on the course of the spanish civil War.

I wore the same label proudly then as a critic of fine art, and now, almost exactly a thousand posts later, I'm back where I started!

But to be sure, all art, surely, is beauteous only to the beholden ones!

Surely, still, if the Junker and myself think it looks 'gammy', we are as right as those who are carried away by it's woodwormed finish.

That block is also the end of an era. I believe 200, or was it 250 trees were felled for the construction of this vessel. This block of wood is the last of that wood to be put to any useful purpose.

Paint it, I say! It will protect and prolong the wood itself.

Drusus
                  Last edited by Drusus Nero; 04 Feb 16, 07:26.

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    Only a Philistine would dab it with paint.

VR
                    How's this then from The Von of Vons, my Airfix HMS Victory wot I built and painted aged 14 years and 2 months...

Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Geez, 17 years carving a block of wood? Someone should tell him about Dremel tools.

https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/P...0#.VrNW_E8l9-I
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I dread to inform you all of this, but here goes...

This sculptor would have to have one of the slowest workrates I have ever seen.

the article claims he spent "5,000 hours" on this unpainted monstrosity, and it took him 17 YEARS to complete it.

Well, thats only round figures of EIGHT MONTHS that he actually claims to have worked on it.

What was he doing for the other 16 years and 4 months? And he didnt even PAINT it in all of that time?

He must have spent more time admiring every wood shaving that fell from this sacred block of wood!

Over 16 years of downtime. His wife must have said to him on an annual basis..."Is it finished yet?"
                        "No dear"
                        "how much of this thing have you done after last year then?"
                        "Oh...I finished one of the guns last september, i expect to finish another gun this august."
                        "husband, when will you ever finish this? I have the curator of the museum asking me on the phone last week "where you have put that block of wood he gave you, eh?"

This has got to be a record of some sort...

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I'm fairly certain the Khufu's Pyramid took 17 years to build..or thereabouts..

This means the Great Pyramid could easily have been constructed in the time frame it took this man to complete this amazing piece of...

wood...

Drusus

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

How's this then from The Von of Vons, my Airfix HMS Victory wot I built and painted aged 14 years and 2 months...

Very nice - a model not a sculpture
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Painting it would cover up what makes it unique...it was carved from one of the beams of the Victory itself!

(then again maybe Von was just pulling everyone's leg)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X