Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What interests you/first interested you in this time period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like so many others, Airfix did it for me. Lining the figures up in a line an rolling a marble at them! Excellent. From as long as I can remember my mum and dad always got me toy soldiers for Christmas and Birthdays.

The sad thing is that I still have many of those (now brittle) plastic figures.

It makes me thing that really the only difference between a man and a child is the price of his toys.

Ney

Comment

My wife is from Waterloo, so walk around the battlefield about once a year, except this one, due to travel restrictions.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Reading "War and Peace" in the 1970's (took me almost a month!). Reading the Sharp's rifles series in the 2000. Recently read Bernard Cornwell's non fiction Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles.

All the above interested me in the Napoleonic era.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

What have you read or studied on the period that isn't fiction?
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Ney View Post
            Like so many others, Airfix did it for me. Lining the figures up in a line an rolling a marble at them! Excellent. From as long as I can remember my mum and dad always got me toy soldiers for Christmas and Birthdays.

The sad thing is that I still have many of those (now brittle) plastic figures.

It makes me thing that really the only difference between a man and a child is the price of his toys.

Ney
            There you go my dear Marshals, my collection of Airfix sowjers from the dawn of time. Though to be honest, yer little man in the funny 'at surrounded by his Guard, started life as George Washington!

The long toll of the brave
            Is not lost in darkness
            Over the fruitful earth
            And athwart the seas
            Hath passed the light of noble deeds
            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Excellent-very well done.
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Cheers M. The Airfix collection started in the late sixties...
                fifty years later it's almost finished!!!

Is not lost in darkness
                Over the fruitful earth
                And athwart the seas
                Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                  What have you read or studied on the period that isn't fiction?
                  Very little. I've read a few books on Waterloo, a few others years ago. My main area of interest in military history is World War II and more modern conflicts.

When I retire in a few years I will get into more diverse military history.
                  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                  Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

Very little. I've read a few books on Waterloo, a few others years ago. My main area of interest in military history is World War II and more modern conflicts.

When I retire in a few years I will get into more diverse military history.
                    There are quite a few books on the Napoleonic period that are just as good, if not better, than the fiction volumes. And some of the actions in them are quite unbelievable in themselves.

My son is interested in War II, which I enthusiastically support him on. He has an excellent print in his room on the Japanese kamikaze attacks on the USS Laffey. It is an outstanding print. We were on the Laffey last year in Charleston.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                      Cheers M. The Airfix collection started in the late sixties...
                      fifty years later it's almost finished!!!

I don't think that collections are ever finished. There is always 'just that one last figure or set' to get. I am surprised that my wife is so tolerant of my continued collecting. We added a room to the house two years ago and she put her foot down on my idea of another display case-so I have some on the book shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

We were on the Laffey last year in Charleston.
                        Going of topic.

I was at Patriot Point 30 years ago. Enjoyed being on the USS Laffey and the other ships.

The USS Laffey was a marvel of US Navy engineering and damage control to take so much damage and keep on fighting,.

How are the ships at Patriot Point? Didn't they take some damage from a hurricane several years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

Going of topic.

I was at Patriot Point 30 years ago. Enjoyed being on the USS Laffey and the other ships.

The USS Laffey was a marvel of US Navy engineering and damage control to take so much damage and keep on fighting,.

How are the ships at Patriot Point? Didn't they take some damage from a hurricane several years ago?
                          They looked fine last summer and that was after Hurricane Florence.

Comment

There you go my dear Marshals, my collection of Airfix sowjers from the dawn of time.
                            Here are some of mine from one of the cases in the den (see the six attachments):

There are two more cases in the den, one in the library, and one in the living room. That's half of the collection. The other half is in the workroom being painted, repaired, etc.

The current count is north of 10,000 pieces.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Massena; 25 Aug 20, 10:14.

Comment

Superb collection of toy soldiers there, Marshal M!

Is not lost in darkness
                              Over the fruitful earth
                              And athwart the seas
                              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Superb collection of toy soldiers there, Marshal M!

Thank you, sir!

I received my first two sets of Britains when I was five at Christmas. They were two double row boxes of their lead Civil War sets. I played with them so much over the years that only one survived the wars. It was a Union kneeling firing figure and it has been repainted at least three times. When I was in the eighth grade, I bought the Union infantry set, now reduced by one figure by Britains, and coincidentally, that figure was the kneeling firing figure. So I had a complete set anyway.

I have about 30 sets still tied in to their original boxes also, which makes them mint figures and I also have six sets of RHA gun teams and outriders. Anyways, that's where I spend my money-that and books.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X