Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not an influential British marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not an influential British marriage?

I was wondering (as I do often) as I was thinking of the many marriages Napoleon arranged for his family:

Why did Napoleon not arrange a marriage with an influential British family?
    Hell, why did he himself not attempt to marriage a British beauty?
    Does anyone know if it was even considered?

Sure you can say: Great-Britain was his greatest enemy and Great-Britain despised him...but was Austria not one of his greatest enemies also? Emperor Francis allowed his daughter to marry him?

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Britain was never in a position that it needed to appease Napoleon.
    Britain itself was safe and a political marriage was not to it's benefit.

Austria's marriage was after Boney had smashed them.

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
    I was wondering (as I do often) as I was thinking of the many marriages Napoleon arranged for his family:

Sure you can say: Great-Britain was his greatest enemy and Great-Britain despised him...but was Austria not one of his greatest enemies also? Emperor Francis allowed his daughter to marry him?

Comment

Reaching for my copy of Debrett I note that George III did have a number of unattached daughters who might have been "available" for such a union:- Princesses Augusta Sophia (born 1768),Elizabeth (born 1770),Mary (born 1776) Sophia (born 1777), Amelia (born 1783).

However such a marriage to a member of Napoleon's family would have been quite unlikely.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Judging the Hanovers by George IV and William IV, I don't think their sisters would have passed the eyeball test. Besides, I think both George III and Napoleon liked their family too much to consider this type of marriage. Perhaps Napoleon should have considered the Russian Royal family?

The Hapsburgs were not considered handsome either.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I hardly think pretty- or handsomeness mattered in a political marriage.

Comment

Except to the couple getting married. When the future George IV saw the woman his Father selected for him, his first words to his valet were: "Fetch me a brandy, I am not well!". Prinny was fat and not too good looking, but he knew what he liked! Strangely enough I don't think he ever tried to impregnate her! That speaks volumes! Fat ran in the British Royal Family until George V.

Pruitt
            Last edited by Pruitt; 29 Dec 12, 13:50.
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Napoleon did not care about the opinion of others.

Comment

Napoleon's family weren't placed on Earth by God to rule over the rest of us scum, thus Britain's objection to 'The Monster'. And besides it would have ruined many centuries of careful inbreeding.

Comment

Napoleon and his little pixies were told to get in the sack which they did. Albion tied it closed, slung it over his back and carried them of to exile and whatever justice they deserved.

If a British bint had married Nappy, her entire family would have been booted out to join them on their tame bunny hunting honeymoon expedition like the one below

"From Scaramouche" Napoleon's return from Austerlitz had been triumphant. As he traversed the German states, crossing the Rhine, church bells rang as he passed beneath a long series of triumphal arches of flowers in one city after another. The people of Paris cheered even more loudly, giving balls and elegant dinners for this man who, only a few weeks earlier, had been thought to be finished, and with him his tinsel empire. As a part of these celebrations, Imperial Master of the Hunt Marshal Berthier gave hunting parties for Napoleon, including one of his Corsican favorites, a rabbit hunt. Berthier, who personally preferred stag, had gone to considerable trouble to buy approximately one thousand "hares."

On the day of the hunt all was in readiness, the rabbits in massive cages along the wooded sides of an open field, as several carriages finally appeared, Napoleon and his staff soon emerging in full hunting regalia. As Napoleon walked across the field, the signal was given to release the rabbits, and hundreds upon hundreds of black-and-white rabbits leaped forward, enjoying their new freedom. But as the intrepid hunters prepared to go in for the kill, the animals, instead of fleeing the the opposite direction, perversely turned straight for the hunters, coming at them in magnificent bounds.

At first Napoleon could not believe his eyes, nor could anyone else, laughing at the comic absurdity of the whole thing. But laughter soon gave way to perplexity, and perplexity to concern, as the hundreds of animals continued to head directly for Napoleon. Finally a bit anxious himself, he turned and ordered those around him, even the coachmen and postilions, to grab sticks and chase away the insolent animals now poking fun at the emperor's reputation as a distinguished huntsman. But all to no avail. They swarmed around Napoleon, entwining themselves between his legs, even leaping into his arms. He tried beating them off with his riding crop, but more arrived. At last his aides-de-camp and coachmen came to his rescue and got him back safely into his carriage, though it too was quickly besieged.

It had been a narrow escape! A furious Berthier, humiliated by the absurd event, learned only afterward that his men, instead of trapping hares, had purchased a thousand tame rabbits--due to be used for pâté--from farmers. And the mighty victor of Austerlitz, who had soundly defeated a combined force of 85,000 Russian and Austrian troops armed with cannon, muskets, and sabers, had now ignominiously scurried off another battlefield, pursued by a a thousand unarmed rabbits, who had mistaken him for the kindly man who was due to give them their daily feed.

"When interviewed, the spokesbunny was unable to comment"

Paul
                  Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 03 Jan 13, 17:01.
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

He WAS HOLDING OUT FO R A NICE RUSSIAN ....

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    Judging the Hanovers by George IV and William IV, I don't think their sisters would have passed the eyeball test. Besides, I think both George III and Napoleon liked their family too much to consider this type of marriage. Perhaps Napoleon should have considered the Russian Royal family?

The Hapsburgs were not considered handsome either.

Pruitt
                    Dominatrix capable princess...

Apparently, negotiations broke down in 1810... Unfortunate, as the eyeball test got passed with quantity over...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by marktwain; 03 Jan 13, 18:04.
                    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Next question.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                        Napoleon and his little pixies were told to get in the sack which they did. Albion tied it closed, slung it over his back and carried them of to exile and whatever justice they deserved.

If a British bint had married Nappy, her entire family would have been booted out to join them on their tame bunny hunting honeymoon expedition like the one below

Paul
                        Re,minds me of:
                        Susie
                        Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                        Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                        For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                        And battles long ago:
                        -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...