Newest Historynet poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest Historynet poll

I just noticed that in the newest poll that Ney and Berthier are way ahead of Davout as Napoleon's Marshal that was most instramental in his success. Do the majority on this forum agree with this or has the poll been used by people who are just passing through the web page. Just wondering, I always thought that Davout was Boney's number one.

Originally posted by SeaDog48 View Post
    I just noticed that in the newest poll that Ney and Berthier are way ahead of Davout as Napoleon's Marshal that was most instramental in his success. Do the majority on this forum agree with this or has the poll been used by people who are just passing through the web page. Just wondering, I always thought that Davout was Boney's number one.
    Would say he was 2nd. The best being Massena in jmo with Soult 3rd.

Comment

Ney was instrumental in Buonaparte's success and his ultimate failure. About Berthier, no argument.
      Will no one tell me what she sings?--
      Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
      For old, unhappy, far-off things,
      And battles long ago:
      -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Berthier to my mind was the one indispensable marshal. Napoleon remarked upon this after Waterloo stating that if Berthier had been there, he would have won.

Ney was not instrumental to his way of war and Ney was not present at Austerlitz, and played minor roles at Eylau and Jena. At Friedland his corps was designated as the main attack, and this was defeated on the first try.

Ney was far from being Napoleon's best marshal.

Davout, Massena, Suchet, Lannes, Soult, and some of the others were much more skilled than Ney, and Ney was at his best commanding about a medium-sized corps-about 10,000 men. He failed as an independent commander in 1813 twice, and in 1815.

Sincerely,
        M
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

He never failed his master when it came to putting himself in harm's way.

The long toll of the brave
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Davout was hist greatest marshall, no doubt about that, far above Massena, who was good at the beginning of his career, but soon preferred luxury.

Davout was a great tactician and was never beaten in the field.

Berthier was essential to Napoleon, because he (and maybe just he) was able to transform Napoleon's great strategic ideas into orders. He was a great chief of staff, but not much of a tactician/strategist himself.
            FINS
            http://napoleon-monuments.eu/

Comment

I find Ney to be, indeed, the bravest of the brave, a men who preferred leading the charge then carefully organizing it.

My knowledge about the Marshals basically ends there (apart from the fact Davout was a genius). Time to get some info on them!

Comment

About Ney, personally, I love this man so much
                Such as #4 said "Ney was far from being Napoleon's best marshal." But there is no doubt that he is a brave soldier~

Please forgive my poor English

Comment

I think Soult was the best all rounder in the list of Marshals

A safe pair of hands where ever he was sent

Ney was an excellent soldier, a good General but not one of the great Marshals

Though its all relative really
                  http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X