Ho dear! What's wrong with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ho dear! What's wrong with this?

Here is a thread that can be either short or long.

You may have seen this famous picture 'The Rearguard by JP Beadle of
    Brigadier General Crauford with his rearguard on the retreat to Vigo in December 1808; 2nd Bn 95th Rifles, 43rd and 52nd Light Infantry'
    many times; you may already know the answer! Can you tell me what is wrong with it?

Paul
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

" Green on his way to Corunna noted how he was ordered by his Colonel,"...to throw away our knapsack, but keep either the great coat, or blanket, which we chose. We did not mind parting with our kits, our orders must be obeyed, so we left them by the road side. "

Green is 'William Green' of the 2/95th Rifles - part of Crauford's Light Brigade.

Cliff

Comment

No! That's not what I am looking for, there is a mistake ' clue or about half a dozen, all the same', in the picture. The Knapsacks we can say are accurate as Craufurd never ordered them to be discarded and he 'as in the title of the picture' was retreating on Vigo with the 2nd Battalion as part of his brigade. The Ist Btn, 95th (of which William Green of 3 Coy, was part) were with Moore retreating on Corunna.

Paul
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 28 Oct 12, 10:43.

Comment

Riflemen's shakos not tapered perhaps?

Comment

Land muskets instead of Baker rifles maybe?

Comment

I have no clue as to the mistake. But I love this picture. You can see why they called him "Black Bob." I was just rreading about his death at Ciudad Rodrigo.
            Will no one tell me what she sings?--
            Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
            For old, unhappy, far-off things,
            And battles long ago:
            -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
              I have no clue as to the mistake. But I love this picture. You can see why they called him "Black Bob." I was just rreading about his death at Ciudad Rodrigo.
              Yes, It is a well done, very accurate 'apart from the problem that is yet to be discovered by our members' and atmospheric picture with perhaps the only weak part artistically is the column marching off in the background (that is not the fault by the way!)

I will give the clue again....'about half a dozen errors that equals the one fault with the picture'

Paul

Comment

Wild guess: the half dozen Baker Rifles shown as 'grounded' on the snow--I don't believe the drill manual permitted the weapons to be 'grounded'. Rather the butt plate was to be placed on the foot/boot/instep, and never actually placed on the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Greystreak View Post
                  Wild guess: the half dozen Baker Rifles shown as 'grounded' on the snow--I don't believe the drill manual permitted the weapons to be 'grounded'. Rather the butt plate was to be placed on the foot/boot/instep, and never actually placed on the earth.
                  I donīt think they cared at this moment! Men out in the cold do not behave like on parade ground, one of the main facts I learned first in the army
                  "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier" - Samuel Johnson

"Kerls, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?"

Comment

Originally posted by rogg View Post
                    I donīt think they cared at this moment! Men out in the cold do not behave like on parade ground, one of the main facts I learned first in the army
                    One of the first facts I learned in our Army, was that the Sergeant-Major didn't give a rat's a**e how cold it was: he would tear you a new lower orifice if you defied a Regulation!

Comment

There was no drill that forebade the butt plate touching the ground at the time as far as I'm aware.

No idea of the 'mistake' you're on about Dibble. The only thing I can see with the riflemens uniforms that could possibly be construed as 'wrong' is the haversacks and straps are not white. But that would be a very minor point and campaign dress varied a lot from regulations. The pic is very pixely and I think you must be after something more obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Compans View Post
                        There was no drill that forebade the butt plate touching the ground at the time as far as I'm aware.

No idea of the 'mistake' you're on about Dibble. The only thing I can see with the riflemens uniforms that could possibly be construed as 'wrong' is the haversacks and straps are not white. But that would be a very minor point and campaign dress varied a lot from regulations. The pic is very pixely and I think you must be after something more obvious.
                        Believe me! If I pointed out to you the Mistakes, you would agree that it is a 'bad un'

Clue: even If you reversed the image, the error(s) would be right but the rest of the object(s) and picture would be wrong.

Though it's freezing, those men look pretty warm

Paul
                        Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 29 Oct 12, 17:21.

Comment

why is only the officer wearing a overcoat
                          in this cold weather they should wear the overcoat
                          i think this is the problem

Comment

Shouldn't the artillery/wagons be on the road instead of the infantry?

Comment

I don't know if it's the error you mean, but the brass butt-boxes on the Baker rifles are on the wrong side of the stock. That's almost impossible to see on the version of the image you posted, though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X