Battle of Eylau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Eylau

Who won the battle? I'm focusing on the tactical outcome of the battle.
    French minor tactical victory
    42.31%
    Russian minor tactical victory
    7.69%
    Draw
    50.00%
    My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Went with draw..It prolonged the war with Russia, to only result later in Friedland...which would lead to Tilsit....

Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

If by tactical victory, you mean the French gained control of a frozen, corpse-strewn battlefield, then yes. They won.

But the Russians escaped with their army intact, the war in Russia was prolonged, and Napoleon's troops suffered devastating losses.
      "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Draw. Neither side gained what they wanted. After unlucky attack of Augereau`s army Corps Napoleon was on the edge of defeat but prevented this by famous cavalry attack.

Comment

Draw - as both sides shattered and not fir to carry on fighting. For an amazing impression of the battle see pictures of parts of Jean-Charles Langlois Panorama la bataille d'Eylau at http://www.reenactor.ru/index.php?showtopic=73014

Comment

Even if it's a minor tactical French History, this Battle will remain the greatest Cavalry Charge of Modern Ages.

Last edited by PGT Beauregard; 16 Oct 12, 07:57.
            à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
            (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Draw. I find the whole Jena to Friedland campaign is an interesting one. The poor Prussians, good troops but so poorly generaled (Brunwick and Hohenloe) had much greater potential than the campaign showed. The Russians, as always, yielded ground only grudgingly.
              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

The french, the russian retreated.
                "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone".

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Comment

Originally posted by Piccolo View Post
                  The french, the russian retreated.
                  As we're looking at just tactical, I'm inclined to agree with this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X